Elektronauts Hiphop Beat Battle #5 - Voting and Feedback

not easy at all… i had to listen to most of these a few times. you all brought it this time. limiting the samples really focused everyone. it was interesting to hear how folks treated even the same sections of some of the sources, while most of you picked out parts i’d not even considered. hearing people’s different perspectives really energizes me. i’m also kicking myself for not using the deep orchestral stuff as a bass line; same with using a cycle/wave for a synth or bass element. living and learning…

anyway, here are my picks. all of you should be proud. you are kicking some ass.

1. @looms - nice drum work in here. the sub bass hits just right. your mix works really well, too. damn, i didn’t expect the vocals in the last part. nice segue into what could even be a separate song.

mentions:

• @PeteSasqwax - ominous start with that EQed bass line. love the sizzle and grit on the high hats. we both went dirty on this battle; yours hits the spot. nice work!
  • @infovore - damn, such a nice flow… all the samples are really well integrated here. i am envious of these string and pluck chops. great track.

drrumble - love the intro, sample chops, and the little flourishes. it all flows nicely. the piano/orchestra clip for the bass element works really well, too. so solid.

lyingdalai - those intro slices into staccato bass… oof. i dig all the orchestral flourishes mingling with the uptempo beat behind. you made a whole bunch of elements feel very cohesive.

tinara - really interesting chop here. there’s lots of space for those orchestral clips. i’d love to hear this with a crisper mix; volume and dynamics were a little low for my old ears.

pineappledave - i can’t believe you made this on a calculator. awesome job, dude. has that classic flow with enough variation to keep it interesting. this is another track i’d like to hear with a different mix.

new_drugs - a concept song! i dig the energy in this one. it feels unlike your previous entries. each piece has its own character. kudos!

sleepyhead - classic flow, as always. i love how the plucks play off the horns in this one. are those single cycle synth lines in there? such a mellow vibe. i could let this roll all morning.

yabba - damn, those guitar snips are pretty here. i dig the air around everything. you let it breathe. yeessh… the flute, too. love it.

doug - oh, snap… the bounce and the filter swept stabs came out swinging. the stuff you’re doing with the DT consistently impresses me. i dig that bonus beat, too. props!

daevlor - ooh, i like how you chopped the strings. nice flow here, mix sounds good, i dug it.

sezare56 - another quick tempo one! pitching up the russian vox made me chuckle. it totally works here without being gimmicky. this reminds me of some early 2000s big beat stuff a bit. i love the sliding strings and your integration of the disco refrain toward the end.

ccmp - gah! that wobbly bass and drum intro slams! love the bell/zylophone sound and the mix. excellent work.

fnkstrng - very nice. i enjoyed the orchestral focus. it’s like sitting in a cozy chair. great work once again for not having much time.

claid - solid intro; dig the orchestra swells and slinky bass line. i enjoyed this one.

10 Likes

Not to be Captain Repetition, but there were many contenders for my favourites and I was hearing more things I liked in tracks the more I heard them, and genuinely there’s not a bad/boring track amongst them, so congrats to everyone who took part.

WINNER- @new_drugs
I really dig how your tracks always seem to be a sonic journey, and this one felt like that too. The early section reminded me of a Beatles thing (edit- figured it out- listen to Strawberry Fields around 3.30)… otherworldly vibe, and the slow down is cool. Then the section where you used the vox…listening to your track, I feel like you must have an understanding of harmony/theory, so the D-C and A-G… this was great… then the outro section moving to Eb, combined with great/melodic use of the samples throughout… kudos to you, really great work.

RUNNERS UP
@Sleepyhead
Another one bang on brief, great feel to the beats and I love how you’re working with the Analog Rytm and getting it down… great example of music making on one device and it in no way sounding like a restriction, in fact it’s the opposite, which is inspiring.

@drrumble
I really dig the vibe of your track… reminded me a lot of ‘Your Woman’ by Whitetown. Great work.

So kudos to everyone else, in no particular order;

Yabba- that was cool… great production work… I want to hear it with an acapella on it… if you do put one on, let me hear it. Great job.

LyingDalai- great feel, like the groove and the way it plays with being borderline chaotic.

Doug- Dougitakt smashing it again… hard to not get inspired (and feel dejected/inferior) seeing your use of the DT… regardless of the DT, the beat and groove is great as always. I really like your complex simplicity, a massive skill in itself. I also like how you keep them short, sweet and to the point.

Claid- Great groove when it kicks in… really like the sound of your snare, nice crack. Bass sound/part is cool too. Nice job.

sezare56- I’m not sure what to make of yours, still, after 3 or 4 listens… :slight_smile: definitely the most interesting approach to this brief I think.

rockpapergoat- main groove is great and I really liked that b section around 1.40ish

looms- this sounds epic, and dark, which is a box ticker for me. Great production/sonics to this throughout… I feel like there’s a lot of tasteful musical side-chaining and mixing going on. Well played.

PeteSasqwax- I really liked the feel and sound of your drums. Bang on brief, nice work.

Daevlor- cool… liked the overall warmth and feel of your track. Nice work man, smooth.

infovore- nice work, great sounding track and mix. Really liked the loose timing of the samples towards the end too.

PineappleDave- really interesting approach to combining the samples… felt like there are 3 or 4 possible tracks to be had in yours.

tinara- yours made me visualise trying to tune in a radio in Eastern Europe, in a good way. If you tell me this was your intention I will bump you up to winner. :partying_face:

FNKSTRNG- this sounds like a work in progress to me, with potential to be cool… even as it stands it has a cool eerie vibe to it though.

:v: :v:

12 Likes

Thanks, @CCMP. I appreciate the kind words. I’ll never pass up a Beatles comparison.

4 Likes

Thanks for the feedbacks, it was definitely my inte… :grin: Reality, is I had a few different ideas and decides to go for all of them. I was targeting smoother transitions between them but not managed. I clearly see from where the feeling of tuning in a radio comes from. Thank you :pray:

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback :blush: and definitely needs to work on my mixing chops a lot. Maybe I will try a make over of the track one day. It was clearly the element, I was the less happy with on the track.

3 Likes

ahoy - notes from me on winners, runners up, and a few other things that made my shortlist:

Winner: @Yabba. (This had me from the first listen. I love the way it uses the samples, I love the drum programming, and god, I love the mix and the dynamic range: everything so neatly carved out. Just sounds great.)

Runner up 1: @Claid. (My main note here was “Yep”. That’s it; it just works, and it makes decent use of a range of samples, slots the orchestral work together well).

Runner up 2: @Daevlor (Drum programming a standout, but I really liked the orchestral flip. My only complaint in my notes was “I really want that cadence to resolve” - even if it was just to a middle 8!)

And then the rest of my shortlist

• @sezare56 (love the use of the vocal, that really lifted it)
  • @Sleepyhead (super-polished)
  • @new_drugs (lovely, lovely orchestral flips. acts 1/2 work seamlessly as a single thing; 3 felt a bit bolted-on. but the sample work is great).
  • @fnkstrng (absolutely loved this arrangement. just think the mix needs a second pass and a master, and perhaps a bit less boom on that kick. great work on the orchestrals)

All around: lots of great beats! Although blimey there was some slamming mastering going on all over the place (I’m hardly innocent). Looking over my notes for everyone, I’m clearly biased towards “working out things to do with melodic samples that are harmonically meaningful, but not necessarily just what went on before”; there was some great work digging out interesting new phrasing and riffs from the orchestral samples, and those always lifted stuff for me. Entirely subjective taste!

Thanks for organising, @drrumble.

9 Likes

(also, footnote: the moment I heard Let’s Go, Get Your Coat… I was just straight into the first track off Yonderboi’s Shallow And Profound, “Intro”; you’ll see…)

2 Likes

This has been so cool to be a part of, I wish I had been able to spend more time on my contribution! I’m honoured to receive the feedback and am super excited for the next round. I’ve been in a creative rut for at least six months, it’s really gotten me down actually, but this project has dislodged the blockage I was experiencing and now I’m feeling super creative again! I’ve really enjoyed listening to everyone’s contributions and am amazed by the different ways we have used the source material.

9 Likes

Sorry, I’m very much guilty of slamming the master :joy: Feels hype and exciting when making the track, then listening back it’s sound undefined and fatiguing. Bad habits are hard to break, ha.

Echoing what Claid said, I’ve really enjoyed being a part of this and have always struggled to finish things. Nothing like a deadline! And also really liked working with the rules of this one. I was looking for a beat battle to help push me to make (and finish stuff) a bit more consistently and learn along the way so stoked to have found this place.

Thanks for the nice comments and votes from various peeps. I loved the way everyone delivered something unique. Sorry if I’ve broken any unspoken group etiquette along the way - let me know as I hope to join in for the next one!

8 Likes

@Daevlor @Claid @LyingDalai you haven’t voted yet, i will close the voting in 1 hour :wink:

1 Like

I haven’t honestly listened to them all in great detail, so please take my vote with a pinch of salt. However, I really like @looms and @LyingDalai’s tracks. I don’t have anything specific to say but I loved the vibes and the mixing of both of them.

2 Likes

Alright, this is my vote!

Winner : @Sleepyhead i dig the beats you made in the past and really Like your style. But this one is my favorite by far! Very good, it has everything i want from a hiphop beat, a very classic golden era style.

Runners up : @Yabba another classic beat, as an mc, that’s exaclty the type of beats i can use to spit lyrics! Love that late 90’s style.

@infovore i also Like your submission because of the evolution of your beat, great use of the samples sources.

Honorable mentions to @LyingDalai and @CCMP, great beats, i had hard time to choose my top 3.

Voting is closed now.

5 Likes

You have to choose a winner and 2 runners up. Make it quick please i’m about to close the battle.

1 Like

Winner: @looms

1st runner up- @Yabba

2nd runner up- @Sleepyhead

6 Likes

Ok the votes are officialy closed now,
Congratulations to everyone who took part in this!

The winner is @Sleepyhead
Its another diserved victory for you !

Followed by @looms and @Yabba who share the exact same points.

Props guys!

i suggest as sleepyhead already ruled a battle in the past, he can choose a runner up to made up the next battle (flip or face?).

10 Likes

Congrats to Sleepyhead for a well earned win!

6 Likes

Thanks for the organisation @drrumble and the deserving winner @sleepyhead

And thanks for the comments, I’m pretty much stoked when I hear comments about nice sonic quality because to be honest I don’t even have a studio, it’s sampled, tweaked and mastered in Digitakt using cheap headphones lol
so thanks again, its all inspiration to carry on :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

congrats to @Sleepyhead! thanks again for organizing @drrumble.

kudos to all who took time for the challenge and provided feedback. i really appreciate the constructive, supportive nature of these challenges. maybe in future rounds, we can share some mix techniques to help folks level up their games.

here are the two other gross tracks that came out of this challenge for me.

cheers, all!

5 Likes

Congratulations @Sleepyhead! Well deserved.

4 Likes

Love the chilli powder flip

2 Likes