Elektronauts Hiphop Beat Battle #5 - Less is more edition

I’ll hopefully be able to start and finish my submission today still :smiley:

2 Likes

Not my best work, but significant beacuse: god, I’ve not made music in aaaages. Nothing. So: being forced to sit down with not a lot to work with and just make something felt like an achievement. Beats sliced out of some loop I found somewhere, simple bass done by hand, and then you can probably hear where the rest came from. Fairly simplistic, but eh, I got out of bed, so to speak. Thanks for the push.

18 Likes

Hey, @infovore, welcome here!
Glad this battle game got you back to creating, I dig this track :thup:

2 Likes

Welcome! And nice entrance! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I unfortunately don’t have time to finish this beat, but hey at least I got some time in the studio. Hihat is from the French disco thingy along with a guitar hit I mangled to bits. The flute is from the Russian song and the other melodic bit is from one of the Bernard tracks (don’t know which as I sampled the entire thing score). Kick and snare are some samples from my sample folder as I ran out of time. Drenched everything in Unfiltered Audio Triad to hide most of the ugly bits. :smiley:

8 Likes

I made it! Better late than never.

So for this one I used some percussion bits from You Want Every Night (buried in the mix), a stab from Obsession Soundtrack Suite and the main sample from М НОЖКИН БЕРИ ШИНЕЛЬ ПОШЛИ ДОМОЙ. The last extra instrument was Monark for the bassline, and I used quite a few layered percussion samples.

Went for the grungy, tape-saturated, lo-fi aesthetic I haven’t gone for in a long time. Was nice to get back to it.

9 Likes

Here’s mine. The most fun I’ve had tinkering with beats in ages. Thanks to the peeps who set this up. Really enjoyed working with the limitations and I’m such a one for procrastinating it forced me to go with stuff… even though I kind of did a few versions! Both the main bit and the outro use the 3 samples with only drums from elsewhere. Sorry for the likely headache inducing lack of a mix and terrible hissy over-compression :grimacing:

10 Likes

This is cheeky!

1 Like

I knew your name was familiar - Adam’s label FTW!

2 Likes

Congratulations everyone!
Beat submitions stops in 4 hours, next we will start the voting. I will start a new thread for this after work.

3 Likes

Oh damn! Maybe u can record it again before a start the voting thread…

2 Likes

I realized that I did not give any description also :

For the life of me, I did not manage to extract from the french disco sample a drum kit that I liked so I mainly extracted the violin part of the disco french part. I used a lot of the cello-ish part of the russian tracks and a few part here and there from Obsession. The one hit drum come from the 808 samples provided by @Stazma for the Tracker.

I learned a lot during the challenge mostly that I suck at track mixing and need to learn a lot around mixing and mastering in general. I also suck at transition between ideas but I am going to steal a lot from the others submissions :smiley:

3 Likes

Ha! Hope you’re good man - Drums sounding as dirty as ever :+1::+1::+1:

1 Like

is there a way to get notified about these beat battles? i‘m always too late :expressionless:

2 Likes

Yes, in your profile settings, prefererences > categories, choose Mission Briefs categorie in Watching area. Save settings.

3 Likes

discourse just keeps on giving, thanks a million.

2 Likes

I’m not going to have the time, but it’s all good. Rules are rules. With all the banging entries, it’s not going to make a lick of difference :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

The voting thread is here :

Elektronauts Hiphop Beat Battle #5 - Voting and Feedback

1 Like

I did not have the time, I believed in it but it did not happen.
I have a very fashionable disease and it wears me out completely …
I would come back for the next one. I would listen with pleasure to the above wonders.
Good luck to those who vote, the most complicated part. :headphones:

2 Likes

Hehe thanks mate - old drum habits don’t die at all :wink: Excellent to see (and hear) you here

1 Like