Elektronauts Hip Hop Beat Battle #9: Motherland edition [Phase 1]

Very cool theme! I’m unfortunately going to have to sit this one out, but I’m really looking forward to hearing what everyone cooks up this time! Good luck everyone!

1 Like

Thanks for the invitation but i’ll have to pass on this one :
I’m trying to give more time to my artwork YT Channel after being a bit neglected these last few months…But i’ll check the thread of course, have a good one fellow Nauts !

2 Likes

overthinking questions; is this strictly two users whole sounds? or at least two users sounds? or as many sounds/chops as we want from within just two users .wav files?
ultimately i’m asking can we use bits of everyones submissions if we want to?

1 Like

my point of view… yes totally. I would say at least two.
@surfacescan hope this if fine for you too

1 Like

Can anyone participate? I don’t know much about hip hop but i’m much into African music in general and the link is obvious :wink:

By drum sounds allowed, can one use loops?

2 Likes

Ok, Phase 1:

Born and raised in Amsterdam, I have a very strong connection to my city. I love everything about it. The people, the mentality, the architecture, the humor. Yes, of course, everything was better in the old days :wink: but the love for my city will forever be there. It is in my heart, my bones, my spirit.

In fact, when I was dealing with Leukemia and was physically destroyed by approx. 2 years of chemo, my physical exercise goals for when (or more accurate, if) I would recover were based on biking distances from my house to places that are special to me around the city. This is a couple of years ago now and I can happily report that I am very healthy and fit right now with the exception of new-born induced sleep deprivation :wink:

A lot of beautiful songs have been written about Amsterdam so I had a hard time choosing. My fist idea was to sample a famous song called “Aan de Amsterdamse Grachten”. This song is not only the highlight of the yearly “Canal Festival”, but was also composed by Pieter Goemans, who happens to be the grandfather of one of my best friends (who himself plays viola for the Berliner Philarmoniker). A performance can be seen below.

In the end however, I decided on another sample. Mainly because this was the song that gave me a lot of strength in the most difficult time of my life and also because I love the music itself. The sample is actually the first 15 seconds of the song “Amsterdam” by Kris de Bruyne.

Here is the sample. Let me know if sharing this way works (I just used the upload option)

14 Likes

Just checked your artwork on YT channel. Your art is amazing! Would love to find a way to combine your art into some kind of video + music collabo someday!

1 Like

Hey @waftlord good question. I would say use as many sample from as many people as you want! I think we are building the airplane and flying it here. :airplane:

The intention behind the minimum of two was to expand the pallete

I am hoping that the two tracks from Africa we post will get some prominent featuring though too.

@Unifono is going to zip up all the contributions into one pack for easier use.

4 Likes

Hey @Blasted_pingin. I would say yes - straight up drum breaks (looped) can be used as the “drums”. I’ve done that on other competitions here and I think it works. Have fun with this one.

There will definitely be some African drums and percussion in the tracks we will post on Tuesday.

1 Like

@Jedilicious gorgeous sample and beautiful story :pray: thanks for sharing

2 Likes

Thanks mate! My pleasure :relaxed:

1 Like

This time I will really try to make it!

Something i did not read well at first is the 2 phases thing.

So we can’t choose the local sample according the African tracks, right?
Interesting. Any clue about the african tracks BPM though? The OT timestretch is… dodgy.

I was travelling for the past 12 years and some worldwide masked events kind of forced me to settle. In a random fashion i ended up settling in the south of France since last december.
Some parts of the south have in common to have a roman language as a local idiomatic called Occitan (« langue d’oc in french, which gave the actual name of the area Languedoc).

That’s the village next to where I live at the moment.

In the 70’s the was a resurgence of interest for regionalistic cultures as they were beaten up since decades all over France. Some bands started to sing in that language, using a mixture of traditional instruments sometimes blended with moder ones.
That’s the case of the band Dupain. Although they are using quite a lot of hurdy gurdy, that’s not what i chose as a sample while thinking about what could be used by others in this battle.

Here’s a sample covering some grounds, hopefully you’ll find some food for a beat.

7 Likes

Thanks a lot ! I’m thinking more and more about using the whole scupting process in a closer relation to music, and not just making soundtracks for my ZBrush sessions.
I’ll have to experiment a few things !

1 Like

Great post and good to read you’re doing well! Funny thing is I was actually considering sharing the very same sample, we’re fellow Amsterdammers!

I’ll come up with something else haha.

3 Likes

Lekker ouwe! :wink:

Curious to hear what you come up with, there is just so much to choose from that represents our city.

Also, there seems to be potential for an Elektronauts jam-session meetup sometime :slight_smile:

1 Like

Damn! those bass sounds at the end made me think of:

1 Like

Amazing inspiration! I haven’t heard this before. I know Tabu Ley. Legend of Congolese music! This father son collabo reminds me of the many similar pairs. Bob + Junior Gong Marley, Fela +Femi Kuti

What an ho our it would be to do a track like this for/by/with your father….

3 Likes

For sure! Would be cool.

2 Likes