Elektronauts Hip Hop Beat Battle #4 - Voting and Feedback

@Doug
Damn, that’s really good!
I can’t lie, I prefer this one to the one you submitted, although I do love that sample so that’s always gonna make me biased towards it.

2 Likes

Congratulations @drrumble!

3 Likes

Thanks! And yeah, I was on the fence about which one to go with myself.

3 Likes

@Doug I’ve got a Sampletrak it’s been packed away and I haven’t touched it for years, does it run ok with midi and digitakt?

I know the midi is very basic on the Trak and the sequencer is as basic as you can get but i love the way it makes a sample sound, I might dig it out if they work well together.

3 Likes

Yeah, there are some quirks but it’s pretty easy to use. You only have note on and off (ie no velocity). It treats every trigger as gated so you need to specify note length. And a weird one, if you want to control the fx over MIDI, you need to have something sampled into the memory, even if you’re just using it as an fx processor.

2 Likes

Ah, man, the Zoom ST is the secret sauce machine - I have a lot of time for those. I 100% don’t need one …but I can’t pretend I wouldn’t grab one at the right price

Shouts to you guys who managed to find the time to make 2! I had all on to get 1 done. Reminds me if how much I miss 12" culture and the loss of the bonus beats…

4 Likes

i had one, an akai s20 and a po33 to. I used those to sample with low bitrates and get gritty sound. Then i realize that i can get a gritty sound straight in the DT so i sold everything :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

I agree, I love the Digitakt.
Sequencer-wise It’s perfect for the way I like to place samples, I’m not fussy about automatic chopping I much prefer to place the sample chops manually.
I used Ableton for years and I could possibly make a better beat with it, but I’ve never had so much fun with the workflow as with the Digitakt.

5 Likes

That’s the whole deal right there. Doesn’t matter what you use, but if you need a guide: go for the one that you have the most fun using

3 Likes

I made two other beats for the battle, here’s one I quickly mixed down, made in Digitakt only.
If I chose to use this one I would have probably added worked on it a bit more and added a few vocal drop-ins etc.
I’ll post the other one when I mix it down.

5 Likes

this one is fire !

3 Likes

Elektronauts Hiphop beat battle #5 - Less is more edition

Next battle is already here guys! Hope you will Like the rules!

6 Likes

Nice win @drrumble! Very well deserved. Your consistency is impressive-you’ve been in the top 3 a few times now and your beats always sound so professional. I feel like I have a pretty good handle on the Digitakt but hearing your stuff makes me want to see what you’re doing with it to churn out such high sound quality.
And the Wayne Henderson flip is great too. You probably could’ve won this one with either of these beats.

4 Likes

Thanks a lot man. These battles really challenged me to go deeper with the DT.
A few tips i found:
First i clean all the samples with the bandpass filter. Next i sometimes eq sample that need it, i remove the unwanted frequencie with the new eq filter mode and resample, because i need to use the lowpass filtre later.
I send everything exept bass in the reverb, the reverb has a huge low cut.
I set the delay to ping pong mode with stereo open. Delay to into reverb.
I use the 2 lfos as often as i can, at very low deph to create very little variations. I use it on the pan for little chops, on the frequencie, resonance, to make the sound live.
And finaly i set the compressor to get a subtle parallel compression.
I also put different velocity values to each hithat trig, make parameters locks trigs on drums (ghost notes, etc…)

6 Likes

Thanks - These are all fantastic tips. I have never thought of sending everything except bass to the reverb (with extreme low cut). I’d imagine that does a pretty good job of making the sound gel.
I have messed with the compressor on and off but am never very satisfied with the result. Mind sharing a little bit about the settings you are using? I find it is too easy to end up with these extreme results when using it.

1 Like

1.30! :content:
Yes, good tips, I also set hipass pretty high for reverb.

1 Like

Yes reverb do a fantastic job to glue everything together.
For the compressor i think i put ratio to 4, threshold to 50/60 and dry/wet to 50/60, with a little of makeup, i will take a photo and send it, i don’t remember well. I don’t use the sidechain fonction, just the global comp.
When i got the right sitting for the fx, i use the global fx function, so i don’t have to touch it after and it brings coherence to the differents patterns.

1 Like

The 1.30 is a really game changer for the DT, hope there will be others updates Like this one in the future! If they can add a slice mode that would be a killer thing.

1 Like

Thank you! I’m going to give the compressor another go.

1 Like

I made a playlist on SoundCloud, send me a PM with the SC link of your track if you wish yours to be added :slight_smile:

3 Likes