Elektronauts Hip Hop Beat Battle #4 - "Fresh Eyes" Edition

Some really nice work from you all this week, I’ll give a proper breakdown when we do the voting.

I had a bit of a nightmare with it this time round.
After getting my pattern how I wanted it I was moving around sequencing on the TAKT and I pressed some combination and deleted it.
I remade it but I don’t think it’s quite the same as I had it originally.
I made three beats in total, I don’t think the one I’m posting is necessarily the one that will be most popular, but due to the fact I accidentally deleted it once and bothered to attempt to remake it I’m determined to stick with that one lol .
I’ll post the other two when the battles done.

All sampled and sequenced into Digitakt and recorded out through the master track with no other processing.
I only used the sample @Kpucski posted and nothing else except for drums, a bass tone and a couple of vocal drop-ins.

10 Likes

Um… kinda?

I don’t have time to properly finish but all the musical elements are from the sample source, I just augmented the kick and snare with Ableton drumsynth.

Looking forward to checking out what everyone else came with

10 Likes

This was my last attempt to get something in before deadline. It ain’t pretty, but it was what I managed to do last night.

Samples used: mostly - Lester Flatt & Earl Scruggs from @PineappleDave. I also had elements of Googoosh and A Fal Mögött from @rockpapergoat and @DimensionsTomorrow

MPC 1000, Evolver and a dash of D-05

8 Likes

Less time available than I thought.
Quite happy with the result even if the sample from @DimensionsTomorrow is not very recognizable. I tried a long time with the one from @rockpapergoat and gave up.

8 Likes

Bit of a rush job, etc, would like to have had more time on it, but ya know, life…

Main sample is courtesy of @Yabba.
There’s a couple of others in there too, used a drum roll from @LyingDalai and brass from @DimensionsTomorrow.

9 Likes

First of all, thanks everyone! It’s been real hard to find the time to do anything else than change diapers and trying to figure out how to do this parenting thing and I was 100% sure I would not be able to get anything done…but I did manage to set up the studio a bit more and even had 30mins to figure out what to do for this battle.

Took the Crystal Winds sample from @Daevlor and dropped in Fat Joe’s Success acapella to beef it up a bit.

The end result is not exacty what I had in mind a week back, but better post it anyway to keep the chops up. Especially now that my time is even more limited than before.

11 Likes

I ran out of time this go round. At some point life will get out of the way!

2 Likes

Oh jeez. I made like, four beats. I can see why a lot of these songs were submitted, they almost all have that ‘golden sample’ feel at some point, but when you get to chopping… well, things get complicated… I’m not NOT happy about having made several crusty skeleton beats, but today I figured I would give a fifth go at things… and … though it’s the simplest of the bunch, this one felt fun enough once I added the vocals, so here we are!

I sampled somewhere around the 24 minute mark of @simonbradford ‘s wildly psychedelic submission… chopped things in koala, drums from DigiStix2, Aesop rock vocals ripped from the Tube, added some random effects and stuff, put it up against a short train idea for absolutely zero reason, made lunch, managed to get everything done on an iPad while enjoying a very brief stint of sunshine that was, for some reason, in my city today… **came back a few hours later and made a different video mashing up creations from the Nomad sculpt and Procreate apps.
(**Double edit: swapped the link for the video and added a blurb to the above description)
I hope y’all enjoy the little ride.

9 Likes

Here’s my track. I used a sample from Tangerine Dream’s “Phaedra” submitted by @Dheurt.

10 Likes

that’s sick!

Give me another hour so that I can finish my beat please :pray:

2 Likes

OK, got a quick one.

Bass/drum samples: Stanley Clarke - Silly Putty (@eerieacid’s submission)
Voice: LKJ - Bass Culture a capella

7 Likes

Deadline is midnight tonight. So you’re on time.

And any stragglers and procrastinators or folks who had actual responsibilities to take care of, you’ve still got until 12 am PDT.

2 Likes

i’m digging all the entries so far. nice work, everyone!

4 Likes

this is my first time participating in anything like this. took the opportunity to use this battle to learn a little about the midi fighter 3d I received last week. used it to chop samples and create loops which I then feed to my digitakt for arrangement, processing, etc. had a great time! loving what you all are putting out there

mostly used @PeteSasqwax sample, but also took a slice from @Doug and a couple drum hits from @DimensionsTomorrow

7 Likes

Nicely done! This could be a missing track on the game Guacamelee.

2 Likes

I just couldn’t slot it in this time around, but the summer vacation was better than I had hoped. Caught a bunch of fish and served it up to a bunch of friends at a buddy’s restaurant. My first time preparing sashimi as well.

My schedule should be quieting down so I hope to jump back in! I’m also so happy that so many people made use of the sample I posted!

10 Likes

Red tuna? :yum:
Can’t wait to eat some if possible.
My wife does sushis and makis, and my cousin and his Japanese wife opened a Japanese restaurant.

2 Likes

Actually the white fish is the one I caught, it’s a kind of a swordfish.

Here’s one of my mates holding up one I caught before preparing it.

5 Likes

The micing inb the first solo is interesting. It looks like just a pair of sm 57s pointing at no special drum.