Elektronauts Hip-Hop Beat Battle #13 Shostakovich Edition - Voting and Feedback

I’ve listened to everything a couple of times now, and even though this was very hard to judge, I’ve narrowed it down to a top 3!

Lots of great tracks guys, so I guess my top 3 is more a matter of taste than an actual ranking of how good the beats are. I have some notes on every track, but I’ll post those after the results are revealed so I won’t spoil which one is mine haha.

1st: track 2
I love the samples used, the buildup, the variation in the drums and all the details. The bassline coming in is what really did it for me. Great track! Also nice fit with the acapella.

2nd: track 5
Very unique. I love every sound you used. Everything sounds really full but defined. The sound matches the slowed down doom vocals perfectly. This is not something I would make or ever heard before, which I respect a lot.

3rd: track 9
This is a banger. I love the beat coming together once the vocals come in and the variations. Nice chaotic drums as well. This one also gets props for doing the classical music sound best.

Honourable mention: track 6, for all the reasons already described by others!

8 Likes

I’ve listened to the tracks a bunch of times. My number 1 spot I liked from the first listen and that didn’t change, but after that it was tough! Here goes:

1 - 8 for the sheer fun vibes. Lash on those filter sweeps and 404 style DJ looper effects and be damned. Could have sounded super corny but just worked for me

2 - 13 grew on me, I liked what was happening behind the chorus/breakdown in particular, simple but worked

3 - 5 the slowed down acapella is just on the edge of being unlistenable, but again it grew on me. I liked the sounds chosen and could imagine Doom spitting over it for real

Well done everyone, these battles are a blast, and thanks to polarfox for organising this one

9 Likes

Looks like we’re only missing votes from @proskynesis @PineappleDave @malus_mons and @Unifono

Please let us know your thoughts!

6 Likes

I will vote today, just need to find some time to write some feedback to these lovely beats

5 Likes

Damn wished I knew where the bar was at and I put some more time in. Mine is the worst one haha. Sick beats!! Too tired to find words in english now but:

1st: track 3

2nd: track 9

3rd: track 12

8 Likes

I’m also sorry I didn’t add more comments, I’m not comfortable with it in general, worse in English. Don’t want to be unintentionally rude.

5 Likes

Sorry for the late vote!

1st: 6

This one just smacks so hard! Great chops, acapella on point, and it even managed to use the vocals from Shostakovich (I myself had trouble with this :joy:). The mix is really well done too!

2nd: 12

This is a really solid track. It has a simple but memorable main loop that gets little extra variations every now and then to keep things interesting.

3rd: 13

There is a fine line between crazy cool and crazy stupid, a line that I like to tread a lot, which is why I rather enjoyed this one. Is it typica? No. But, it’s absolutely bombastic! The scratching, the variations, drum glitches, all of it is super fun.

Thanks to @polarfox for running the battle! :grin:

8 Likes
  1. Track 3 (so grimy, RZA would be proud)
  2. Track 9
  3. Track 4

Great job everyone! this was my first time, didn’t know we could add vocals, makes a huge difference.

8 Likes
  1. Track 2
  2. Track 3
  3. Track 6

Honorable mentions:
1, 4, 5, 12

spoke the most to me. Classic feel, super fitting vocals, great bass! Great overall package

The sample is just so gritty and nice and the vocals really fit well to the vibe. Would be nicely placed on an old wu record

Classic feel. Very well produced. Nice mood.

I really liked the groove here. More uptempo but a welcome change to the other tracks

great beat, goes well with the vocals. Nicely produced. Close to my top 3

great beat, the slowed down vocals where almost too much for me

close to the top three as well. Love the chops. I thought my winners had a little better production than this one.

Loved all of it. Great battle! Was a pleasure

9 Likes

That’s a wrap then by my reckoning…

5 Likes

I believe the host @polarfox has yet to vote

Edit: unless he didn’t take part of course

5 Likes

anxiously awaiting for someone else (not me) to do some basic math…

5 Likes

looks complicated this time.

3 Likes

The worst part about hosting from my experience is adding up the votes :joy:

3 Likes

haha… that’s kinda why the poll makes sense for these challenges. vote, and it’s done.

6 Likes

Kinda why I never mind not winning, that and a total lack of competive nature…

3 Likes

Hard to know what options are available on any given forum. Plus I think polarfox only joined recently; how soon do new accounts get poll-creating privileges?

I’ve never won a battle, but I feel like I win in a different way by being forced to improve each go around :grin:

7 Likes

Ahhh. I understand now. I thought @polarfox voted in a weird way, but it was a call ! :content:

Do you mind winning ? :content: