Elektronauts Hip-Hop Beat Battle #13 Shostakovich Edition - Voting and Feedback

Just had a first listen through, the dope is strong with our little crew, well done everyone, I want to have a few more listens then I’ll vote…

7 Likes

Nicely done everybody :smiley:
Had a skip through I’m gonna give em all a proper listen over the next day and vote probably tomorrow.

Thanks again for the set up Polarfox

7 Likes

amazing stuff again. Super impressed with each new battle. Hard to pick as always

6 Likes

wtf, people? damn…

7 Likes

I’m with you on that…

Heres my votes

1st place 3

2nd place 5

3rd place 12

I’m going to qualify my votes by saying that for me these three beats felt very complete if that makes sense, all the elements, samples beats and vocals just worked, really nice production values all round, definitely makes me want to up my game…

Big thanks to all the participants, it’s was another fantastic show of the talent that resides on these boards…

10 Likes

folks, you impressed me yet again. it’s trite to say at this point, but the level of skill just keeps getting higher. it’s really cool to see new people participate and hear progression through these challenges. if anyone doesn’t know yet, drop into this thread to share production tips, sources, etc.

after a couple of listens, here’s my feedback:

1. crisp drums, an industrial feel, short and sweet, this has a nice quick flow and build. good work!
  2. those vibes really work well as the intro and main theme. bass and acapella fit perfectly. nice changeup with the piano, too. that horn breakdown opens up the middle of the song.
  3. classic flow; bass heavy mix, but it’s not too muddy. man, this one really bumps, too. very nice.
  4. nice interplay between the percussion and drums, bells anchor the track, the backwards masked or string stabs are a nice touch. you kept it simple, and it works. kudos!
  5. lazy beats, languid acapella; mix feels okay here. there’s a nice variation without trying to do too much.
  6. drums snap here — simple, direct, punchy. this has such a classic sound. so many people used bells in this challenge. they work really well in this track, too.
  7. another short and sweet one. it faked me out — i totally expected it to lurch into a double time house style remix. those pitched up vocal samples are fun. would like to hear this one developed a bit or with vocals on top.
  8. this one’s all business. i dig the frenetic energy moving this forward into filter sweeps. we don’t often hear faster tempo beats in these challenges. good job!
  9. symphonic boom bap! subterranean bass glues this together, but it feels a little tubby. i dig the percussion. it flows well, vocals are a good fit, nice variation and song structure.
  10. mix makes this feel like you’re listening to someone playing a song on a phone in the next room while someone raps over it, but it kinda works here. mix aside, i like this. it’s an interesting track.
  11. piano bass! i’m a fan. dig the mellow vibes in this one, too. solid track.
  12. track does justice to the acapella, for sure. (more bells!) i wonder if this was done on a DT. another solid track.
  13. PE meets marching band! love the gated drums and stereo effects here. mix is interesting — sounds like some neat compression and such to give each element space.

top 3:

first: 6
second: 2
third: 4

mentions: 9, 12 were strong contenders for my top 3

10 Likes

Agree with you guys, this is impressive!
I listened the playlist a couple of times and all i can say is that there is a lot of talent here.

1 : My first vote goes for track 9 . It sound incredibly good, the beat is perfectly on point with the vocals. I thought that it sound more like an album original version than a remix. The Shostakovich sample give it a warrior and cinematic vibe, this is without doubts the track who talk to me the most.

2 : Track 6 : Nice track, it made me travel to NY in the nineties. If it have been release at this time, it might have become a classic now :wink: this track has all the ingredients I need to enjoy a good boombap track!

3 : Track 13 : this one surprised me. It took me where I did not expect, and I enjoyed it.
It work so well with the vocals and it’s a very refreshing beat.

8 Likes

@proskynesis
@Maisin
@malus_mons

2 Likes

Really difficult, I couldn’t decide between a whole bunch of beats for top 3
So bigups for the high levels.

Top three

4: great work, love the flute drop-in at the end of the bar, this is the sort of thing I wouldn’t get bored listening to.

9: Nice hyped beat, really well made, I’m in more of a relaxed mood music-wise lately, this could have easily come first on a different mood day.

2: Nice, Souls Of Mischief feel to this beat, and that’s the kind of thing I love.

I enjoyed every beat so salute to you all 🫡

8 Likes

Tracks were so good that it was hard to narrow down to these five, much less a top three. Ask me on a different day, and the order could be entirely different, but:

1st: 3 – I am a sucker for the eerie and grimy. Maybe my favorite use of the bells in the bunch, excellent piano riff, and the playful rising woodwind lick adds the right amount of light without breaking the mood
2nd: 12 – Killer groove, killer snare, in-your-face but not overly so. Got me hyped
3rd: 6 – Similar to what Dr Rumble said, if you told me this was just a long-lost East Coast beat, I would believe you

Honorable Mention:
4 – Classy drums and expert layering and arrangement of sounds
9 – Monstrous final-boss of a beat, and the one that feels closest in mood to Shostakovich for me. I do kinda wish we lived a little longer in the bassy break, just for contrast

8 Likes

1: 8 - Got me from the start, loved the super lofi intro. Slammin bass line, funky drumming, lots of filtering, & glitched out goodness (was an octa involved here?):smiley: Nice jaunty sample choice and digging the jazzy end
Notes: bass seemed to pump the compressor pretty hard here causing drums and samples to drop out a little more than I would have liked

2: 13 -I believe the hype. Engergetic beat and great use of the symphonic sounds. The zippery sound gave this a feel like it was being live mixed dj style which was fun. I loved the little drop outs. Nice changes ups; I liked the contrast between the big symphony sound and the wiggly little sound used on the don’t believe the hype parts ( I really liked that part)
Notes: stereo panning was a little intense for me and some of the reverb (cymbal) could have been slightly less for my taste

3: this was so hard to decide between 4, 6, & 9 ( all great tracks) > I was so back and forth on this pick
Since I have to make a decision I will go with
4- I liked the intro getting straight to the meat of the beat. Definitely into the use of sidestick in the groove, the funky hihat and the delayed snare parts. Classic three bar straight with a twist on the fourth, I loved the flute turnaround. I thought this track had a real classic sound to it
Notes: the kick hit a little wierd for me in headphones when critical listening that made it stick out a bit, maybe that was just me because I didn’t really notice this on speakers and it faded away if I wasn’t really paying attention to it

So hm to 6 and 9 and props to everyone for all the hard hitting tracks here

I listened through several times, carefully and just for fun driving around. Headphones and speakers were two very different experiences. I took notes on everything and could say so much more, but tried to keep this reasonably short.

criticism and praise

Hopefully my small critiques are seen as constructive, and welcomed here, and are obviously just my opinions. People are so nice and supportive here which I think is fantastic as it is low pressure and inviting to others. I am pretty new to all of this so hearing anything good can be a nice little boost but i also want to learn and grow so please feel free to be real about anything I submit, even if it’s harsh. I’ve tried to give a bit of that with my votes so it’s not all just praise, i hope that’s received well. Also I love it here, it’s so great to hear everyone’s different styles and takes on the same source material. Had a blast with the last few battles and will hopefully gain some good experience here with a little more time, so just an all around thanks to everyone involved here

9 Likes

I’ve listened to everything a couple of times now, and even though this was very hard to judge, I’ve narrowed it down to a top 3!

Lots of great tracks guys, so I guess my top 3 is more a matter of taste than an actual ranking of how good the beats are. I have some notes on every track, but I’ll post those after the results are revealed so I won’t spoil which one is mine haha.

1st: track 2
I love the samples used, the buildup, the variation in the drums and all the details. The bassline coming in is what really did it for me. Great track! Also nice fit with the acapella.

2nd: track 5
Very unique. I love every sound you used. Everything sounds really full but defined. The sound matches the slowed down doom vocals perfectly. This is not something I would make or ever heard before, which I respect a lot.

3rd: track 9
This is a banger. I love the beat coming together once the vocals come in and the variations. Nice chaotic drums as well. This one also gets props for doing the classical music sound best.

Honourable mention: track 6, for all the reasons already described by others!

8 Likes

I’ve listened to the tracks a bunch of times. My number 1 spot I liked from the first listen and that didn’t change, but after that it was tough! Here goes:

1 - 8 for the sheer fun vibes. Lash on those filter sweeps and 404 style DJ looper effects and be damned. Could have sounded super corny but just worked for me

2 - 13 grew on me, I liked what was happening behind the chorus/breakdown in particular, simple but worked

3 - 5 the slowed down acapella is just on the edge of being unlistenable, but again it grew on me. I liked the sounds chosen and could imagine Doom spitting over it for real

Well done everyone, these battles are a blast, and thanks to polarfox for organising this one

9 Likes

Looks like we’re only missing votes from @proskynesis @PineappleDave @malus_mons and @Unifono

Please let us know your thoughts!

6 Likes

I will vote today, just need to find some time to write some feedback to these lovely beats

5 Likes

Damn wished I knew where the bar was at and I put some more time in. Mine is the worst one haha. Sick beats!! Too tired to find words in english now but:

1st: track 3

2nd: track 9

3rd: track 12

8 Likes

I’m also sorry I didn’t add more comments, I’m not comfortable with it in general, worse in English. Don’t want to be unintentionally rude.

5 Likes

Sorry for the late vote!

1st: 6

This one just smacks so hard! Great chops, acapella on point, and it even managed to use the vocals from Shostakovich (I myself had trouble with this :joy:). The mix is really well done too!

2nd: 12

This is a really solid track. It has a simple but memorable main loop that gets little extra variations every now and then to keep things interesting.

3rd: 13

There is a fine line between crazy cool and crazy stupid, a line that I like to tread a lot, which is why I rather enjoyed this one. Is it typica? No. But, it’s absolutely bombastic! The scratching, the variations, drum glitches, all of it is super fun.

Thanks to @polarfox for running the battle! :grin:

8 Likes
  1. Track 3 (so grimy, RZA would be proud)
  2. Track 9
  3. Track 4

Great job everyone! this was my first time, didn’t know we could add vocals, makes a huge difference.

8 Likes
  1. Track 2
  2. Track 3
  3. Track 6

Honorable mentions:
1, 4, 5, 12

spoke the most to me. Classic feel, super fitting vocals, great bass! Great overall package

The sample is just so gritty and nice and the vocals really fit well to the vibe. Would be nicely placed on an old wu record

Classic feel. Very well produced. Nice mood.

I really liked the groove here. More uptempo but a welcome change to the other tracks

great beat, goes well with the vocals. Nicely produced. Close to my top 3

great beat, the slowed down vocals where almost too much for me

close to the top three as well. Love the chops. I thought my winners had a little better production than this one.

Loved all of it. Great battle! Was a pleasure

9 Likes