Elektronauts Hip-Hop Beat Battle #12 Lucky Number 1200 Edition - Voting and Feedback

A very varied selection this time round
after a bit of consideration I vote

It’s like discovering a sick track from the 90s that I’ve never heard before, really cool

Runners up

Summer vibes, I think the whole thing works really well, this was very nearly my favourite and was tough choosing between this and my eventual first place choice.

Another summer sounding beat, love the filtered sample, great stuff.

Nice work, everybody :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Yeah, I totally agree.

I’d never seen any of the battles before so I didn’t really know what I was getting in to, but regardless of the standard being crazy high it’s been a really welcoming positive environment.

2 Likes

1st - 4
2nd - 10
3rd - 6

mentions to everyone! these battles getting closer every go around

5 Likes

1st: 4
2nd: 14
3rd: 8

I had alot of fun listening through the playlist beginning to end. Great tracks!

4 Likes

I didn’t have time to submit my track, but I would like to vote anyway.
Here they are:
1st: 15
2nd: 14
3rd: 4

Congrats to all, you are great!

4 Likes

Holy cwo, this submission list feels like a “best of” compilation!
Hats off!
And good luck to choose a winer! ^^

5 Likes
  1. #13 - love the vibe. Catches my ear, puts a smile on my face. Not the punchiest production but super smooth
  2. #8 - same as above. Love when the main sample comes in. Vibes for days.
  3. #6 - love the super authentic oldschool style. Haven’t heard something like this in any other of our battles

Honorable mentions:
#14 - the most unusual and interesting. Plus Doom always sets a beat apart
#4 - super punchy. Very creative with the rock type sound

Also loved #1, #3, #9 and 15 but I ran out of words

Edit: have to mention #2 as well. :upside_down_face: That piano was lovely

5 Likes
  1. 15 - perhaps the least traditional ‘hip hop’ sound of the bunch, actually kinda reminds me of some electronic stuff from the 90s I like. Really caught my ear, lovin the style, right up my alley. Too short though, it just kind of ended, I definitely would love to have heard more

2. 4- how did you get that tearing snare sound? Killer.
    Sweet use of guitar. Great fit between vox and beat.
    Dig the faster pace ride and driving hat that comes in and out, some nice stereo stuff with that and especially with the interplay between the guitar and the kinda glitch sounding guitar that comes through the other channel in the sparce areas

3. 10- this one had some appealing weirdness, from sample choice to overall feel. Really groovy bass line but even that had kinda a weird timing groove… this track comes at me like 6 beats followed by 4 quick beats, like a bar and a half of 4/4 followed by a bar of 4/8. Some three beat phrases on hat shift things around and as a whole kinda trips over it’s self while somehow remaining smooth and keeping good momentum, and the vox ties things together nicely, Plus I really love the accapella used in the last 1/3rd of course

I hope I’m not going into to much detail, I’ve tried to keep it succinct, but I tried to really take my time with listening and rating. Some nice stuff in here, various numbers shifting around some after my first impression listen.

I really don’t know how to rate things, especially when people craft a bit of variety, Originality? Execution? Flow? Variation? Overall sound quality? Sample choice/Most creative flips?
Or just simply what you like the most?
How do people make their decisions
I try to weigh in stuff like these with overall feel and appeal but if one area is particularly stronger than another it can override things

Also not sure if it matters now, but there are a couple errors in the samples used part

Thanks all for giving me some cool stuff to listen to and comb through

8 Likes

that‘s how I make my decisions

That’s what a figured for most people and that is obviously top priority, really liking the sound. It still has a technical side though with the guidelines and sample curation though right? Maybe I am overthinking it
What if something was to really stick out at you like a snare way way to loud or vocal buried way deep in the mix, still gets a free pass if the beat is dope enough? Or would that come into play…
I like that hip hop is raw and it works for the style, overproduction can gloss over the beautiful rough vibe, but simply having a track gel can go along way, if it’s got the ‘sound’ already

I guess none of this matters just curious what others thought

We’ve had discussions about this in prior battles and decided that the best way to do it is to let everone choose for themselves what to judge the beats on, since everyone has their own preferences.

For me its mainly the overall sound of the track, but also technical skill, style, uniqueness, amount of variation/buildup, mix etc.

Some tracks I appreciate because I wish I made them, with others I appreciate them because I would never make something like that haha.

6 Likes

Ok here are my choices:

• Beat #1 - The “kicks, snares, kicks and hi hats”. Part of me was just so happy to hear the scratches start this beat off. I think in the spirit of using tiny bite sized sounds, pitched up and then played at a lower speed - it indeed gave it some of that old EMU Sp1200 sound. Nice work!
  • Beat #4 - I almost missed this one. I was driving in my car listening to all the beats and at some point I lost cellular network connection and this is the only beat that got skipped. I had seen that everyone was including it in their votes so I decided to go back and take a listen - and I agree with the group. It samples the song I wanted to sample (the santa cruz skate punk track). Perfect choice of acapella (Aesop rock? Rhymesayers? Cannibal ox?). Lots of space created between sounds/beats and vocals. Lots of creative build up. Just awesome!
  • Beat #14. MF Doom just instantly got points. And then the beat just delivers pure creativity. The soul vocal samples pitched up. The track breathes alot - leaving good spaces to listen and enjoy it all. Masterful!

I intended to make comments for the other beats too which I really enjoyed, and in the interest of getting the deed done, I think I’ll save it for next time.

Bravo to the whole beat battle clik. Big up yourselves!
Thanks @Doug for forcing us to learn and stretch once again.

8 Likes

Okay, it looks like we still need votes from @Daevlor, @rockpapergoat, and @PineappleDave

3 Likes

so tough. i’m trying to get some work done with these tracks in the background. it’s hard enough picking top three from this bunch as it is. once again, you all crushed this challenge. shout out to @Doug for squeezing the limitations and forcing us all to think on this one. i’m considering taking up gardening instead of making beats. you’re all bringing your best stuff, and it’s really cool to see new folks taking part in these challenges.

feedback

1: love the scratching, the thick upright bass line, the acapella, the organ… just everything flows well

10: drums are banging. the bass line and vocals fit really well. very nice track.

11: dig that slapback snare echo in the mix. the yelling made me nervous. hope that person’s okay. the breakdown in the middle adds some nice flavor.

12: those staticy drums and pitched up vocals lend this a house feel. i really like the broken horns, too. nice one!

13: feels like this one contains subliminal messages. kicking it off with chris rock reminded me of all those skit interludes from 90s hip hop releases. vocals work well. the mix is a little murky for me, but this is another solid track.

14: nice space, doom, sample chops… background vocals perfect. this one feels really solid.

15: ooh, starts off strong, then the drums kick in, but it’s over in a flash. was hoping for more, but it’s a solid little track.

2: bass line holds it down. vocals really fit well. mix is also a little murky here. i appreciate the piano breakdowns.

3: agree with @sleepyhead here about the acapella. it kinda works. bass line fits the second part but not before the break. mix sounds good.

4: aggressive stuff usually isn’t my bag, but this track uses the chops to good effect. the vox and guitars set the mood well. it feels cohesive. dope track!

5: this one feels like a dream sequence. chops set a nice vibe. after hearing all the acapellas, i almost want one here, too.

6: horns are hot with that beat. love the bounce. the vox sit well on top.

7: this is a jam. all the parts hit hard. good work!

8: nice bounce in here. we sampled the same song, i think. mix is a little low; could use some EQ up top, but it’s a sweet jam.

9: that kick just boofs from the start. woo-hah remix with hard hitting slow jam essence up in this… fun track overall.

votes

first: 1
second: 14
third: 4

6 Likes
  1. beat 14
  2. beat 5
  3. beat 8
5 Likes

For sure.

Well said and thanks for the insight

2 Likes

Ok last voter here!

First place: Beat 9
The drums! They are just so huge and slapping that this had to be in the top three from the get-go. The low-passed sample in the background gives you a little hook for your ear, and the a capella was a great choice. Ultimately this wins because I love the vibes this track delivers.

Second place: Beat 4
This one takes second thanks to its sheer originality that works. The chops are far from typical, but whoever made this managed to fit all the elements together in a compelling way. More power to ya mate.

Third Place: Beat 10
I’ve been listening a lot to Logic’s Vinyl Days and this beat sounds like it could’ve come straight from it. I love the drum break, and the repetitive but catchy chops. The a capella goes hard too.

Big ups to everyone else who participated in this battle. They keep getting better ‘n’ better every time. Thanks to @Doug for organizing it like the boss he is.

7 Likes

Awesome beats from all, very nice playlist ! Impressive ! :ok_hand:

3 Likes

Okay, folks. Here are your winners:

1st Place - Beat 4 (@polarfox)
2nd Place - Beat 10 ( @Unifono)
3rd Place - Beat 14 (@Yabba)

Here are the folks behind the rest of the entries and their samples:

Beat 1 - 1-2

Drums- cut up hits from Ghet-To-Funk break
Intro and outro from Traffic- Fourty Thousand Headmen, chopped 2nd bar of flute riff when shaker comes in & guitar strum from first bar used in outro
Bass line and piano hit for main groove from- If You’ve Got it, Flaunt it (second bar chopped)
Strings/wind, organ, chime, and rhodes? sounds throughout track from- Francesco De Masi- L’ infinito
Guitar bits & short organ stab from- Kabaluere
Vocal bits in outro from- Japanese serenade

Beat 2 - sleepside

Beat 3 - rockpapergoat

kick, snare, hihat, 2 shakers one-shots from the kount
main theme is 4 separate slices of FRANCESCO DE MASI - L’ infinito orizzonte dei mari e delle terre
bass is one small slice of the same song
piano from Sister Wynona Carr’s “Dragnet For Jesus.”
vocals are wordsworth’s “gonna be”

Beat 4 - polarfox

Ramsey Lewis - If you’ve got it, flaunt it part 1 (bass)
Traffic - Forty Thousand Headmen (flute)
NIN - The Collector (Kick / Snare)
Overhead, kick and snare layers, I don’t remember where I got them
The Strokes - hard to explain (hihat)
Firehose - Brave Captain (guitar)
The Eagles - Victim of Love (guitar stab and lead)

Beat 5 - eerieacid

drum break from tower of power, “2:15” from sister wynona carr, bell drone from tod dockstader, strings from Sayuri Ishikawa, piano from the windmills of your mind

Beat 6 - surfacescan

Funky Sea, Funky Dew - some serious saxophone noodling after about 4:35 into the track. I used this for the hook/chorus
Ohio players - take da funk off - some beats and pieces from the first 1 minute is used to essentially make all the bass and drums
EPMD - Its my thing acapella

Beat 7 - PineappleDave

Beat 8 - Sleepyhead

-vocal bit: Jen Chapin
-Main sample: Francesco de Masi - L’ Infinito
-Horns: Funky Sea, funky Dew

Beat 9 - Daevior

Maze - Reason
Sister Wynona Carr - Dragnet For Jesus
Marco Polo - Pad Thai Vol.2 - PercShakerShotgun

Beat 10 - Unifono

Camille Sauvage - Vivisection
Mahalia Jackson - A City Called Heaven (Live)
DURALCHA - Ghet-To Funk

Beat 11 - philippas

at around 1:46 from Paragons ‘When the lights are low’ - YouTube
at around 13s, 59s and 1:39 Antonio Carlos & Jocafi - Kabaluere (Pseudo Video) - YouTube

Beat 12 - FKNSTRNG

John Barry Theme from the Persuaders (Hits + BG Pad)
Dragnet for Jesus (Vox in the chorus)
The Brecker Brothers (Saxy stuff)
Duralcha - Ghet-to Funk (Kick, Snare + Hihat)
Kanye: Pure Souls

Beat 13 - Roman01

Traffic - Fourty Thousand Headmen (stereo)
Beatles - Flying (stereo)

Next sample is drums only, which I realize should not be counted towards sample time.
Duralcha - Ghet-to-Funk (mono)

Acapellas
Chris Rock - Bring the Pain (stereo)
Erule - Milestones (stereo)

Beat 14 - Yabba

I used TheGhost cats sample (a time for love)
LyingDalai (the persuaders theme)
polarfox’s sample (A city Called heaven)
I also used a bass tone I sampled from ifretless bass on IPad
three separate vocal samples from the movie Wildstyle

Beat 15 - monquixote

Samples were from
Crystal gazers
Squib cakes
On line
Kabaluere

13 Likes

Well deserved congratulations to the winners, some truly amazing tracks!

For some context as to why my track (15) sounds a bit different to all of the others:
It was all sampled directly and done entirely on a Polyend Tracker other than a bit of mastering compression from a DAW hence I couldn’t include any acapellas, or long samples.
I was going for the liberal interpretation where people refer to things like Avalanches as hip hop and having never participated in this before I wasn’t sure what to expect and it it meant I ended up as a bit of an odd one out. Hope that was cool with everyone.
The reason the track was so short which a few people questioned is I’m a bit of a n00b and I don’t know how to do proper tracks that hold attention over about 1-2 minutes :rofl:

8 Likes