Elektronauts (Forum Members) Record Label

Absolutely, all good points.

I think a frame work is important and it needs to focused and simple in it’s objective.

Everything is up for discussion of course, for me the main 3 points of interest are:

1. Music created and voted by forum members.

2. Artwork made and voted by forum members.

• I think this is exciting, democracy at work!

• I’m interested in how this will affect the mood, feel and look of each individual release, very exciting!

Exactly what the submission and voting will look like is to be discussed, I made some rough suggestions on that in my original post.

3. ALL proceeds go to a chosen music education/therapy charity for children.

• Firstly I think it’s a relevant and worthy cause.
      The fact that theres no reward other than being featured on the release and being part of a worthy cause keeps greed out of it.

I also think that It will need Forum admin and moderator support as well for it to work no doubt.

4 Likes

hmmm… what about clearing samples/getting authorization? i have no idea how or whether small labels do this or just take the risk.

2 Likes

Yes, good point.
I don’t have an answer for that as I know it can be a controversial topic.
Someone else can chime in :wink:

Almost all small labels that release sample based music just take the risk.

2 Likes

i like the idea in general. there are aspects of running a business and/or non profit that i have no idea about, which is probably for the best. there are most likely people in this community who have some valuable context and experience doing similar things, though. will be interesting to see where this goes.

2 Likes

Are Musical charities 100 percent to the charity and not management. Theres been a load of scams lately with the charity employees taking up to 75 percent in every £1/$1.

1 Like

Why a charity and not a co-op? Seems like if Elektronauts provide the input, 90% of the output will be purchased by Elektronauts (is my guess, not unlike those “poetry” books they make you buy at school cos your kid got a poem “published”) then why not also have the money go to Elektronauts?

3 Likes

Even so - this needs an objective direction. Who is the release aimed at? How do you manage taste? If you create an open vote then you may find the result ends up without a specific audience.

1 Like

Lol. When i was 18 i paid to have my poem put in a book. I told everyone i was famous poet. They even put the book in the school library.

5 Likes

bet your bottom if they put one of my tracks on the Elektronauts sampler I’ll be telling everyone I’m a recording star.

4 Likes

Yes, there was a guy quite some years ago now. He ended making something of it and having to refuse anymore mastering requests.

I was actually thinking about this just the other day.
I too was going to offer free mastering to get my skills up and because I actually think I finally know what I’m doing :joy:

We could have a thread with each of the jobs that need to be filled. How we will fill each role is something up for discussion.
Here are some ideas;
We could have a playoff for the position each time and hold a vote.
Just one idea…. I look forward to reading more :blush:

1 Like

I would be super into this and would happily contribute music to it!

1 Like

Could be a rule right there.

Samples can be used if the artist provides the sample clearance letter/notification.

2 Likes

Not sure this is necessarily true, part of the attraction for me is to see how each release develops organically, but again, everything is open to discussion.
Maybe each release can be themed, or there can be a peer pre / post selection process.

Being primarily digital each release can feature 20+ tracks. I think as far as audience the fact that so many Forum members will be featured I think there will be plenty of interest and assuming we’re not trying to make profit or even cover costs, quantity of sales will not be overly important.
Though of course they will need to prove sufficient for there to be continued interest in the project.

Yes indeed, but you’d still be relying on everyone being honest and not trying to slip a sample or two

2 Likes

My first response that deleted was to say a straight ‘no’ to sample use. Dealing in ultimates is the easiest way…. But my glass is always half-full so I thought the benefit of the doubt should be exercised. We could also have a job share for the jobs that no one particularly wants. Things like getting in touch with labels to carry out final checks for all samples that are to be used could be one job.

1 Like

I don’t really have any skills, knowledge or connections that will be of any use, but you have my enthusiasm, should that be of any use to you.

12 Likes

Ditto

2 Likes

This is a really good reason to setup a distinct legal entity. I think people clearing their own samples through something like splice could be done and is provable enough. If someone wants to sue a non-profit raising money for kids then the label can just fold if the splice info isnt enough.

I think things as simple as that are enough to keep things in-line. I like the idea of voting on the people who would curate each release. If you go purely by popular vote then you might find that those people making less accessible music might not make the cut, or that you come out with a release that is so eclectic as to be unlistenable.

Note - I’m not trying to teach you a lesson or anything. I don’t know shit about releasing music! I do have experience working with new and startup projects, and am just being interested in the process, and sharing my thoughts.

4 Likes

wait isn’t there already an official elektron label? speaking about the music you can buy directly on their site.

i know this is about the forum/community but won’t there be some conflict in regards to elektrons own music?

1 Like

We could just call it 'nauts records or something.

8 Likes