Elektron Syntakt Trademark Speculations [closed]

Calling it, drumsynth.

2 Likes

Some kind of “uber”-sequencer (Cirklon style) would be nice :wink:

1 Like

Hoping for a DT-sized hybrid synth or drum synth.

4 Likes

I think the new product will be a 8 voice polyphonic synth in Digi format

1 Like

ha… that bottom video w/the MD and circuit bent XD5 is an XD5 i owned for a long time. it was built by billy neenos. it functioned like a noormal XD5 and all the bends were activated by the switches in the expander box connected by the 25 pin cable.

i used it a lot on the first sample library i made for samplephonics called “circuit malfunction”. also used it on some releases. it was a great machine. i look at prices for xd5 these days and they’ve gone up A LOT. theey usd to be $100 and now they’re like $300-$500. crazy.

5 Likes

I’ve been involved with both Trademarks and Patents for Electronic equipment. Generally, though not always, you register a trademark rather late in the process, though it is not a final step in the development process.

The trademark only applies to the category in which it is applied for, see the other SYNTAKT at the bottom of this post. You register a trademark because it makes it easier to defend, but it is not impossible to defend one without the registration.

History of Trademarks registered by “Elektron Music Machines” with the Swedish Trademark Office:

2021-07-12 SYNTAKT
2020-02-25 Model:Cycles
2018-05-15 Model:Samples
2017-11-30 DIGITAKT
2017-11-07 DIGITONE
2014-08-14 ELEKTRONAUTS
2014-08-14 OVERBRIDGE
2014-01-21 ANALOG KEYS
2014-01-21 ANALOG RYTM
2014-01-21 ANALOG FOUR
2012-10-25 “analog symbol image trademark”
2012-04-16 ELEKTRON
2012-04-16 OCTATRACK

I will leave it to someone else to check the date of release of these products to see how close they come to the trademark dates. ( Notice how the chronology of the DIGITONE and DIGITAKT are switched for trademarking. There is an inside-the-corporation story behind this. )

Another reason you could apply for a trademark would be defensively. This is kind of like grabbing a whole bunch of URL names on the internet, to try to prevent others from using them.

There is an advantage with trademarks though, in that you get to defend them in court, and names that are similar in a same or similar category to other product trademarks are ruled as deceptive trademarks and are taken away. So a synthesizer named DIGITACT by another company would probably not be defensible.

So although Elektron has never filed a defensive trademark in the past, it is very remotely possible that SYNTAKT is one. The SYNTAKT trademark for packaging equipment was filed in the USA about two weeks before ELEKTRON filed their trademark for musical equipment. Perhaps they wanted to defend a name they felt too close to DIGITAKT, but not defensible otherwise, and grabbed it for musical equipment. I really doubt this is the case.

My conclusion is that most likely there is a real product, fairly far along in development, that will eventually have the name SYNTAKT.

BTW: I have some really nice "Elektronaut"stickers and pins that i am selling, before the trademark police catch me. :crazy_face:

18 Likes

Syntax means - arrangement of phrases into coherent language.

3 Likes

This will be super useful for my new phonk project.

1 Like

Musical phrases probably I think some vocaloid box wouldn’t exactly be a sound financial horse to bet on. People haven’t exactly been asking for an elektron speak n spell

Can anyone tell me if octatrack users will be happy?

8 Likes

octatrack users will be very happy

30 Likes

Guessing it will be the same or very close to MD synthesis but only 8 tracks and utilizing the sequencer and general feature set of the DT/DN, with a lot of emphasis placed on Overbridge. The reason that everyone left is that it’s a half reissue of a relatively recently retired product with relatively few cool new features to develop and demo, and a workflow that is more limited than the instrument that inspired it.

Edit: my hooooope, and what would make me buy it is if it was the above, but offered MD or MnM in the same box.

1 Like

Hey i’m already happy, so mission accomplished xD

1 Like

A teaser on wednesday a week before Superbooth might be possible???

Would be nice to have BOTH retrig and arp+chords…

4 Likes

Possible. Elektron is not at Superbooth tho. But I don’t expect it’ll be that soon anyway. If owned a company, I’d make sure I had the trademark way before I started mass production :slight_smile:

I’m happy this running gag still continues to this day…

2 Likes

This new speculation is boring as hell!

Next!

…hey sweden…let’s make it 16 engine trax…please.

2 Likes

Word on the street is Craig is shaven :frowning_face:

Still, it was epic while it lasted.

Word on the street is Syntakt is like new monomachine, multiple digital synthesis engines.

5 Likes