Elektron.se Geolocation is Broken

When going to Elektron.se, it defaults to showing prices in Swedish. Fair enough. So I log into my account where all my address information is in the United Kingdom. Still the prices are shown in SEK instead of GBP. So I go down to the bottom of the site to change the country to UK and it tells me to Update My Address. So I go there and hit Update without actually changing anything. Only then do I see prices in GBP. What a convoluted mess. Something somewhere is broken.

4 Likes

Yup.

Attn @David

2 Likes

I had this issue a while back in the US, though didn’t jump through all the same hoops craig did.

1 Like

I didn’t even know there was an option to see GBP, I always see SEK.

2 Likes

Yeah, they must be losing out on direct sales because of this.

I’m in Canada and it has been showing SEK for awhile. I thought that it showed CAD last year though when I bought some sound packs.

1 Like

Took me a while to figure this out a few weeks back too. The ‘accept cookies’ strip at the bottom of the homepage covers up the region options, so if you’re just having a quick look it’s super easy to miss!

2 Likes

Same, but for the US. I bought something from there maybe 2 years ago, but a few months back I noticed this issue and couldn’t get it back to USD.

I believe it has been like that for some years now? I always thought there was an issue with my browser (Chrome, been too lazy to test it out on Safari). But yeah, I do exactly what you mentioned every time I land on Elektron.se

1 Like

I always thought it had to do with the “Made in Sweden :tm:” thing people seem to care about

I just checked it and it’s as @djenzyme says. Though it wasn’t blocked by the cookies banner (only because I had banished it with a click prior to scrolling). I went to the sample packs page and after scrolling way past everything to the bottom, you can choose your locale. It must’ve geolocated automatically in the past as I don’t ever recall setting it manually. It would be much easier to set it in your profile or have the locale switch on the top banner.

Craig’s point is that you do set it in your profile, by setting your billing address. But it doesn’t work, and you have to “update” your address to get it to actually stop showing SEK prices. Trying to choose the country with the selector when logged into your account shows an error. Changing country when not logged in works fine.

2 Likes