Elektron Octatrack + Shure SM7B + Cloudlifter

1. Is it safe connect the Shure SM7b + Cloudlifter to the Octatrack inputs?

2. Will the octatrack provide phantom power?

I’d prefer not to damage any of my equipment before I test this out.

I read that there are risks using phantom power with the output jack on the octatrack, which is not necessarily directly related to my question, but it put up some red flags about the use of phantom power. I currently have my Shure SM7b connected to my Allen & Heath Zed 10FX mixer and then out to my QSC K10 speakers, so it is not routed to my octatrack at all. I have the correct XLR to 1/4" cable, and have a Shure Beta 58 I can use with the octatrack, but the SM7b sounds so good I would prefer to use it with the octatrack.

The reason I am using a cloudlifter is because the SM7b is very quiet without it.

I searched this forum and others, but could not find information about these two questions.

Thank you for your attention, and I look forward to your response.

I seriously doubt the Octatrack supplies phantom power, hardware usually comes with a switch to enable it.

The Octatrack needs a line level signal, and the output from a mixer or preamplifier will provide this. The OT does not provide phantom power, so the Cloudlifter will not be powered unless you run SM7b to the Cloudlifter to a mixer with phantom power to the Octatrack.

Does the ShureSM7B need phantom power? I thought it wasn’t a condenser?

Yeah, no need for phantom power for sm7b. It’s a dynamic mic. Unless the ‘cloudlifter’ needs it for some reason, dunno what that piece of gear is?

Yeah, it looks like a phantom powered mic pre? No need if the OP has a mixer with mic preamps.

1 Like

Seems like a different pre would be a better choice for use with OT, that way you can skip the mixer.

But it sounds like the OP already has a mixer, so no cloudlifter or other pre needed at all.