Elektron Octatrack hands free sampling quick tip tutorial

After my 1st live shows I felt the urgent need to use the octatrack hands free for manual looper style sampling to concentrate on my poor guitar skills.

Here´s the solution, inspired by cuckoo´s tutorial on loop box style sampling: the Logidy UMI3 midi usb foot controller connected to the host port of my iconnect audio 4+. I show you my workflow and then you can set it up the way you like.

Subscribe and share if you like it. Also check out these links:

Logidy UMI3 footswitch
http://www.logidy.com/?pid=1

UMI3 config file for the octatrack

iconnect Audio 4+
http://www.iconnectivity.com/products/audio/iConnectAUDIO4plus

midi monitor
https://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/

cuckoo´s tutorial

Carl Mikael’s Cabinet of Curiosities

5 Likes

Wish I could find a small controller like that with MIDI DIN outputs.

1 Like

I searched every corner of the internet. Nothing that small and easy to use, if you have a usb midi host.

1 Like

Yeah, I got all excited about the Disasterarea Designs DMC-3xl:

http://www.disasterareaamps.com/shop/dmc-3xl-gen3

But then after ordering I found out that they no longer are offering custom firmware with the gen3 models so that’s a no go too.

:frowning:

I stumbled across these, too. Looked great, but missing flexibility. I have to say the overall build quality of the umi3 is excellent. Feels like a real guitar pedal. Good luck man.

One problem, that occurs in my setup: the ot remote controls itself when I use the ot midi sequencer. I thought the ‘note in’ controls only work on the auto channel, but some also work on the active track. Midi chain is: ot (midi out) -> iconnectaudio (with umi3 and blofeld via usb) -> rytm (midi through) -> ot

I need the note out of the ot to sequence the blofeld and I also need the note in to the ot to make use of the umi3. Special dilemma.
Any help appreciated. Thanks.

EDIT:
Found the solution. You can filter out specific midi events on specific midi channels in the midi patchbay of the iconnect. In my case: note on/off events on the auto channel (11). Works. Hooray.

2 Likes

thanks for the tutorial @AndreN , picked up the logged and i now need a usb midi host. i know you use the iconnectivity but i’m looking for a solution to use with my current audio card ( i had the audio 4+ but was constantly fighting to make it work for me, stuff that was working my previous session would stop working, etc. ) .

i am currently searching the net and i have found:
-midiplus USB MIDI Host Controller $86
-Kenton MIDI USB Convertor Host MkII $99
-keith mcmillen midi expander (?) $50 (this one SHOULD work, had it once when i had the k-mix, not sure though, website says it’s only for km controllers)

anybody have another option an/or idea?

Mode Machines Cerebel USB host (it can have a USB hub plugged in with multiple controllers attached) might be worth checking out :wink:

Yeah i saw that one too but it is more expensive than any of the three i listed and i know at least one of the 3 works

I received IConnectMidi4+ today. I already have midi processors but I didn’t know that you could map CC too. Any midi din or usb with 2 switches minimum should work with midi processing. 1 for rec/play, another for active track up, for example.

Does anybody tried Mc Millen 12 step or Soft step 2 with Icm4+? @GovernorSilver ?
As @avantronica mentioned about Yamaha Mfc10, with those midi foot controller you can toggle between 2 different CC59 values in order to toggle between Combo Rec and Start/play.

1 Like

Yes, I have both KMI pedal controllers - used the SoftStep2 and Expander w/ the OT or basic pickup machine operation, just as described in the manual - 2 pedals for Track Up/Down, 1 pedal for ComboRec, 1 pedal for StartPlay. Worked reliably and with much less pain than my Roland FC-300 foot controller.

1 Like

ok, so in the meantime i got it set up like in andre’s video. up, down and rec using my laptop for now, might just keep it that way since i don’t really play out anymore although of course i would prefer just sticking everything i need in a pedal board,…it can wait… now i just have to figure out whether i keep the button configuration as is or figure out a way that i can use both record buttons (like a traditional looper) and still move around the tracks (it’s a shame that it doesn’t scroll around, doesn’t go from 8 to 1). i quickly read about different methods of pressing the buttons, maybe that can do it, have to look into it better later.

also connected my old ernie ball vpjr as an expression pedal and mapped it to crossfader. that’s gonna be awesome.

1 Like

Are McMillens usb midi class compliant in order to use them straight in ICM4+?
I really don’t want to use another usb to midi thing.
Soft step 2 seems more powerfull, but I’d rather use the 12 step because of 8 lower switches.
Could you compare them?

I already have a Fc200 + midi processors, but I’m thinking about Mc Millens…

Yes, the KMI controllers are USB class compliant. I got the Expander because OT does not support MIDI over USB.- DIN connection only. This is a good comparison chart:

1 Like

Interesting even if it’s not Soft Step 2.
I’m not sure if you can send a different CC per switch with 12 step…

Oh I should report that my Softstep 2 came with a ridiculously oversized USB cable - had to replace it with a more normal-length one to connect to my iMac to use the editor software. KMI tech support said the issue might be unique to iMacs - no problems with Macbooks, Windows machines, etc.

Yeah, that’s one of the major differences.

1 Like

You mean you can send only one global CC with 12 step ? Even with KEY Y, PRESSURE,
POLY AFTER TOUCH ? If you can set different channels, it can be mapped with midi processors but if you can avoid that…

Yeah MIDI CCs are global only on 12 Step, I think because KMI designed it thinking you’re going to play bass lines Taurus style.

1 Like

I have a bass line score for you :

3 Likes