Elektron Interfaces are unnecessarily difficult

This stuff is really subtle, and quite funny.

I have AR and OT. I keep reaching for the Level knob on the OT when I mean to use the A encoder. My eyesight’s poor so I’m often physically close to the device, but not necessarily looking straight at the encoders, which exacerbates the problem.

I’m completely in favour of Elektron’s screen+knobs split, and in particular having all (/most of) the knobs in a grid beside the screen. My Sequential Rev2 has knobs either side of the screen (and spread around the rest of the board), and inconsistent mapping between the physical location of the knob and the area of the screen that updates when you turn it… it drives me nuts. I can’t imagine how the Pro2 and Pro3 users cope with having all their encoders around the screen, so their hands and fingers obscure the display whilst they twist. Ick. Give me the Elektron way!

6 Likes

I had this problem with the Analog Heat. Since the encoders are under the screen, my hand covered the screen when turning them, so I’d have to hold my hand at an awkward angle while turning, or lean forward to get a better view of the screen, or both.

The only downside for me with having the encoders to the side is that if I want to use both hands at the same time, my left hand will cover the screen.

Me too, when I had the OT :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I’m now considering buying a rytm and an a4.

2 Likes

Who’s not? :smiley:

3 Likes

So am I.

2 Likes

I’d like to get a Rytm first, then contemplate whether it’s enough or if I should sell my filterbank to finance an A4

There are times when I think Elektron’s interface is obtuse, then I try to use Roland’s partial-based synthesis engine. It’s pages and pages of menus, duplicated across multiple layers. It makes the Elektron philosophy of matrix editing look elegant

6 Likes

What’s great about it is that it’s pretty obtuse for a novice, but when you know your way around it’s fast, intuitive and powerful. So a great interface for the purpose of making music.

3 Likes

Skip the rytm, get the A4.

1 Like

I did the exact same thing when I first got an OT. Bought a new coloured knob especially just to replace that one and make it more obvious, been fine ever since.

3 Likes

I see your point (although I am not trolling). A lot of it has to do with organization and labelling. The JV-1080 has just a couple of knobs, arguably a far less capable screen, and is therefore necessarily much more opaque, and yet, the buttons and knobs are laid out well, and maybe more importantly, labelled so you know exactly what you are doing and how to do it, without having to remember which two button presses you need (which are not labeled on Elektron gear, so you have no idea how to do it unless you have it burned in memory).

I was just reading a post over at “So, I just bought an OT MK II,” that was very well written, and encouragingly describing exactly what I am talking about, suggesting, don’t do too much at once, take it slow, don’t let yourself get too discouraged, spend little or no time with any other box until you have things figured out. Other posts in that thread talk about users who have their Manual, third-party manuals (Merlin’s guide, etc.), you tube videos and the OT all in front of them, flipping through things to figure it out. I take this as exactly the kind of difficulty I am pointing out. Should it really take this much effort, guidance, patience, and difficulty to make one single box usable and enjoyable? Perhaps so. I have my doubts. Especially since, like I said above, I don’t need to do any of this with several of my other instruments, at least nowhere near to this extent.

And, one other thing in terms of (not) trolling. I DO appreciate all the things my A4 and OT can do that my other boxes do not do (or do as well). So, despite what I continue to say is unnecessary difficulty due to poor UI design, I am not currently planning to sell either because I am still interested in tackling those difficulties (and I do use the A4 for basic sound design and as a filter box without difficulty).

The Iridium’s six encoders on the side of the screen are perfect. Yes, you do have to watch your hand position to not obscure the part of the screen you need to see, and yes, the screen is much bigger, but the encoder always changes a clearly described parameter adjacent to the screen, which change automatically, depending on what screen you are in, which is controlled by other clearly marked buttons and knobs. There is very, very little guesswork. I do appreciate, of course, that this is an apples and oranges comparison because an Elektron box with a screen like the Iridium would be a completely different experience.

Where do you pick up a good fit for the elektron pots?

1 Like

This is a Coolorcaps one from djkit.com. The one fitted is a large, but I also got a small which I didn’t use.
I did have to try and cut some of the internal spacer plastic out as they sit very high otherwise.

EDIT: Link to caps: https://www.djkit.com/coolorcaps/

Gold also looks :kissing_smiling_eyes::ok_hand: on the Typhon:

1 Like

Someone on a different thread (in which another forum member was lamenting the very difficult content management for an Elektron instrument) recommended that I offer specific suggestions for how Elektron might improve their user interfaces. I thought it would be a good addition to this thread.

This was my response:

That’s not a bad idea, although the whole point is that a company that makes user interfaces (a musical instrument is essentially a user interface for making sound) should, you know, think about user interfaces, not leave it up to their customer base to help them figure out how to make their user interfaces. I could easily say a couple of things: focus on content management during design, not after the fact (Overbridge). Talk to people about fairly straightforward structural storage hierarchies (simple path file specifications). Continue to label things better (MKII models tend toward this direction). Consider making your screens a bit bigger so there is less need for remembering multiple keypresses that are not rationally related to what they do (example, “Function” + “Mix” is a shortcut for unison mode on the A4). Nice to have the shortcut, but doesn’t make sense on its face. Straighten out or add buttons so “Yes” and “No” mean the same thing no matter where you are in a menu (sometimes “Yes” means “enter” sometimes it means forward in the menu structure, etc., sometimes it means “toggle” on and off). Not intuitive, at all, when it should be, could be.

1 Like

The OT is a hot mess. I have one, I’ve done some ok stuff by mistake on it, but it’s frustrating.

The DT and DN are relatively easy to learn, but deep enough to be interesting.

The RYTM is surprisingly easy and maybe the best to work with. Liking it more and more.

I personally like the RYTM, DN, Prolog 6 and MPC Live 2. All different, all deep, all ok workflow.

Note… I’m drunk. I didn’t read the thread. I’m off to bed. おやすみ。

2 Likes

It’s quite easy and fast to work with once you set it up? Elektron devices are rare in that they’re quite deep and complex, but the interface is so well designed that it’s possible to play complex music with them live without having to program a lot before hand.

The thing is that your solutions would end up adding to the cost of the instruments and they’re not exactly cheap as it is. Bigger screens cost more, as does adding buttons for the things you mention. It’s a compromise essentially between cost and functionality. I think the designers get things right on balance, and as you say, the newer instruments are more intuitive so they’re on the right path and are learning from their previous “mistakes”.

What would a bigger screen actually give? It would have to be like 4 times bigger to get rid of menu diving. That would drive up the cost with no really significant value added, really since they’re perfectly usable with a smaller screen + OB if you want a bigger screen.

But once you know that [FUNC] and [MIX] are a shortcut to unison mode, why does it matter if it makes sense on its face?

Elektron machines are all about muscle memory. It might take a little longer to learn all the little combinations and shortcuts, but once you do you can play them like instruments.

I’d rather have to learn a couple of dozen key combos than have to deal with either a touch screen or an overcrowded set of knobs, buttons and decals.

Obviously it’s all subjective though, like I’ve already said, what works for one doesn’t always work for another and you can’t please everyone.

4 Likes