Elektron Ergonomics

You guys. I love these boxes, but my mid-upper back often hurts after use. I put my Elektrons away for a month or so, and my back felt great.

I typically have my Elektrons flat on my desk, sometimes on the IKEA angled laptop stands. Sometimes I sit, sometimes I stand.

I think maybe the act of looking down AND holding my arms out while doing micro-movements may be the issue, OR, maybe my workstation is too high? Or too low? Arg!

Fortunately, I have an adjustable desk, so I can keep experimenting with different heights.

I thought about mounting the Elektrons vertically, but, you know “gorilla arms.”

Anyone else struggling with ergonomics when using Elektron machines?

Thanks for reading.

About a 45 degree angle and at a level that doesn’t require craning your neck is a good place to start. Proper back posture and relaxing the shoulders while performing tweaks will ease some tension too.

4 Likes

Yes, flat on a table isn’t ideal for hours of work.

I make sure to have nothing between myself and the instrument.
If you use a DAW, having the keyboard on a shelf that slides out beneath the instrument is preferable.

And I use Bluelounge CoolFeet to prop up the rear of the instrument for better viewing angle. Additionally, my seat is a drum throne which forces me to sit up straight.

I personally find 45 degrees too steep an angle for operation. 20-30 is my ideal, but to each their own.

2 Likes

I cut a pair triangle shaped stands out of a relatively thick board. Season to taste.
Now if only something can be done about synth wrist.

1 Like

I like about 30 degrees and have the ubit right in front of me while resting my elbows on edge of desk. Try having something to put your feet on - even a soccerball helps I find.

Thanks for the reply. It seems the conundrum is thus: Either you have the desk too high and avoid craning your neck OR you have the desk at a good height, but you have to crane your neck to look down.

I will get my IKEA stands back out. Also, I think I will try to work more on memorizing the commands and using muscle memory (like typing) so that I do not have to look down as much.

I find doing abs and squats regularly (weights at 75%-100% of body mass) eliminates all my back pains (I sit all day at work), YMMV as usual

1 Like

I wish it were as simple as “eat better” or “exercise,” but I already hit the gym 4 days a week and stretch and eat right. :slight_smile:

I have a mix 400 stand. I mainly use it for my push 2. You can tilt it to less than 45 degrees. I will check if my elektron box will fit tonight. It should

Ergonomics is very important. I use the IKEA laptop stand for Ableton Push, and it feels right, but it isn’t quite right for the Elektron gear for me. I use the PYLE USA Laptop DJ stand, and use a hacksaw to lower them a bit: Pyle DJ Stand for Laptop

I also will go to Home Depot and get bits of wood to cut down to make wedges and shims as needed. It always takes me awhile to find out the sweet spot. Looking down too long is always my trouble. Lower neck.

I used a drum throne for a long while, and got rid of it when I sold my kit. It was definitely good for that. Maybe I should pick up another one…

hmm, peculiar. Are you sitting or standing at your rig?

Heh. That drum throne was back payment from a recording client about 9 years ago. Drummers. :grin:
When they don’t pay, just go to their gigs to collect.

It is a Roc N Soc Nitro Throne.
I wish it had casters, though those are a bit pricier. Whatever you go with, make sure it can telescope high enough that you can sit on while keeping your knees a couple inches lower than your waist. This helps when you have to lean in and around, and gives you a bit of an “attack stance”

1 Like

Sometimes I sit; sometimes I stand. I am fortunate enough to have an adjustable desk. I am wondering if my desk is too high, thus forcing me to hold my arms up too high. I am going to try lowering it. But, of course, that means more looking down.

If you are standing, table/surface height is the most important IME

Never have this issue with ~45 degree stand for the A4. Take frequent breaks. I try to stop once every 45-60 minutes. I usually take a walk around the house and weather permitting outside a bit. Just to clear my head, get the blood flowing, give the ears a rest etc. Sometimes I’ll go two hours at a go if I’m really in the zone and getting some essential stuff down in the heat of the moment.

1 Like

I prefer to be standing up when I’m working on music. I sit all day at the office, and I feel like an asshole if I come home and sit for the remainder of the day. Also, I feel, it gives me a less stagnated mindset when working on music.

Although, I have stands for my Elektrons. For a standing table I basically put a cheap Ikea-like table top resting on a a heavy duty keyboard stand and that seems to work out alright(i tested the tabletop thoroughly(someone threw out the table and I removed the legs from it)(it was a great day)

1 Like

Besides trying to find the optimal work position, it is also important simply to vary between different positions and settings - standing, sitting adjust table heights, angle of machine-stands etc. Our bodies are not designed to be fixed in the same position for hours

1 Like

I have my stuff around me in a circle and some things you stand up for and for some there’s a seat. Not everything is available right in front of me but it keeps me moving, sitting, standing, and holding my neck at different angles. I also kind of like the rotating focus on one instrument at a time, although sometimes I have to octopus…

1 Like

check out my site for perfectly ergonomic stands :slight_smile:

There’s too many stands out there that are at the wrong angles. Also, the three tier stands simply don’t work because the top tier is just too high and your arms ache after a while. I’ve tried them!

Hope your back feels better soon

1 Like