Elektron Ergonomics

In terms of ergonomics, it would make more sense for your AR and A4 to be on a flat desk because of the tilted front panels, right? Having things high up would really annoy me and probably make my arms ache after a while. But then again, I don’t have a lot of gear, so I don’t have to consider these things :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was never a friend of stacking devices or putting them behind each other. The device in the more uncomfortable place immediately and automatically gets used less (which is a shame). The only real solution is to have enough space to spread them out into single workplaces and a wheel chair to move around. Not always an option, I know, but the only one which is really comfortable and doesn’t require moving stuff around constantly.

8 Likes

I’ve tried so many setups to get the ergonomics right

I’m finding I need to have what Elektron box I want to work on directly in front on my desk
in perfect listening position because you really need to concentrate with them…

I now just have 2 Elektrons set up on the desk and swap them when want use certain one
as they all use the same power USB cables it is easy to swap them

Having my midi keyboard off to the side on 3 tier stand is fine and don’t mind turning to use it.
I keep everything else on the 3 tier stand.

4 Likes

Nice drums! Rogers?

Yep agreed, I don’t have enough space so I just swap them…

1 Like

i tried a lot of configurations.
best and only way to use the elektron confortably imho is flat desk to rest your arms with correct height, laptop stand like the ikea one for the device.
ISBERGET for DT/DN
BRADA for OT/AR/A4
huge relief for neck arms, eyes, back…

AH doesn’t require as much operation as the other boxes, it sits well on a VESA stand

2 Likes

i find my approach/attitude to an elektron device changes entirely when compared to as part of a racked/tiered large setup of kit vs a one on one man/machine approach.

Just using one device and squeezing as much out as possible within that realm of restriction means you’ll try and learn more things, these can then be applied when using in conjunction with more stuff. Otherwise you’ll just keep dipping in and out without ever getting deep behind the hood of a unit.

2 Likes

I have everything on my desk within arms reach (4 boxes + a controller) and can use it while resting my elbows on the desk. Ergonomics is key for me because I am prone to hurting my neck and my arms get tired easily when they cant rest (plus I am really lazy :D)

1 Like

I acquired… 5+ or so pieces of gear yet some of it is a pain to use. Looks like I need to drop a stack on a nice desk, I knew I wasn’t loony for the sudden need / realization that my setup absolutely sucks.

DIY is great and cheap if you’ve got tools but not for $8,000 worth of gear, I trust myself but even I don’t trust myself that much

1 Like

To be honest, I’ve tried the Titan sometimes and it just feels… Strange, it’s not breathable, I didn’t feel like sitting in it for hours while getting a sweaty back. It feels to me like a car seat with wheels, good for driving, not good for office/computer usage for 8+ hours/day.

I’ve been working from home (fucking corona) for almost 10 months now, previously I worked a 2 years bout from home when I purchased a Herman Miller Aeron and it’s been one the best purchases I made (almost 10 years ago).

I won’t recommend directly the Aeron (even though I love it), ergonomic chairs are very personal choices due to our very different bodies but I will recommend you checking out for second hand office chairs, good and ergonomic office chairs, they are usually sold for around the price (or just a tad more) than the Titan and other of these “gaming chairs” and they are a MUCH better value.

2 Likes

I went the DIY rout and made one of these, I love it! As great as it is, I would NEVER pay $900 for it!! A lot of other great suggestions on this thread I would try before shelling that much out.

Did you follow one of the standard Output DIY builds on YouTube? I know there are a few floating around. With 16 weeks wait time, perhaps I could learn to do it, afford the tools and materials and come in far under $900

They have all of the dimensions on their website. I took those and just made a few modifications to accommodate the 3/4" material I used. The overall design is pretty simple and easy to modify to your needs. All in all it probably cost me $140 and 10 leisurely hour of labor. Edit: I already had access to the tools I needed…

2 Likes

I don’t have the tools but have a relative close by that has been into carpentry for a while… Perhaps better to just request their help

would love to get more info on how to choose a suitable table height, right chair etc…
back pain is not a joke and since I spend 5-10 hours in a studio almost everyday…

I’m only 26 and have weightlifted (not body built, I am not in the best shape during quarantine lol) for many years, almost a decade now, never had any back pain and I’ve goofed my back a good few times deadlifting. Perhaps some strength yoga would help alongside improved ergonomics.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure they are Star. Tama, before Tama existed.

1 Like

Something I always wonder about seeing all those pictures of people’s working desks which are completely filled with gear: where you do guys put your arms? I personally find it much easier to work with Elektron stuff if it’s on a table surface facing up. If you have to reach for it and keep your arms floating for extended periods of time, like 2h, it just gets super uncomfortable.

For example, I’ve tried to put the Monomachine on a laptop stand a couple times, but always had to move away from that setup because I ended up not wanting to really program the sequencer if it’s so hard to reach for. If I’m just tweaking one knob occasionally or use it as a sound module controlled remotely, it can be anywhere. But when I really use the sequencer, it absolutely has to be in the center of the setup with enough space around it to rest my arms sometimes…

4 Likes

you guys got any more chair recommendations?

While I respectfully disagree about the titan being similar to those gaming chairs (lol!), HM Aeron and the Steelcase Leap were my competing choices. I went with the Titan due to a good proper recommendation from an online buddy and while I will agree its not the best value for the money, for my personal needs, I’ve never had a chair I could sit in for such a long time without any aches and pains. In a sense, I lucked out with the Titan for my own personal needs because I wasn’t able to try it before I purchased. There was a local HM retailer here with good deals but at the time our city was surging with the virus so you couldn’t go to the store to try out the chairs yourself.