Elektron devices for installation purposes

That in-depth knowledge I don’t have, so glad that this forum has others to react too. I can only speak of experience with DT and DN and HEAT. Had all of them running like 3 or 4 times over night (forgot to turn them off) and they where still running in the morning.

3 Likes

Yes, print to “tape” just in case.

Better to have a backup, it’ll give you luck for not ever having to worry :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Mark Fell did it with a couple of Digitones, worked out fine. :smiley:
http://www.markfell.com/wiki/index.php?n=Mf.Parallelling

8 Likes

You WOULD push for the digitone :wink:

@Ess I was just about to say that from my experience, all the latest firmwares have seemed fully crash resistant to me… except for the digitone :see_no_evil:

@Strutter besides all the solid advice already given: Personally I avoid using the USB port in all situations in which I really don’t want the machines to crash. (Especially in overbridge mode)

@resonant_space I have nothing but good things to say about the Bela platform, highly recommended :ok_hand: (although I mostly interface with it through c++ and not PD)

2 Likes

I’ve run my Elektron gear all day, overnight etc… never had an issue with overheating or crashing. The only time my DN has been flaky is occasionally on start up. Once it’s going it’s been fine.

1 Like

Don’t get me wrong, I love my DN, it’s my favorite elektron box after the AR, but depending on what you do with the arp, it has definitely not been fine for at least as long as I have owned one (years). Both in terms of not crashing and working as intended.

In case you were wondering how to crash your DN

@Strutter actually I do have experience in this - so going to try and give you some advice other than just finding an excuse to post a cool link (sorry) :sweat_smile:

I don’t think the machines crashing and/or overheating (when just left running) is going to be an issue at all, I think what you should be more concerned about is what this setup needs every day. Unless you are willing to be at this gallery every day starting things up and shutting them down you need to provide the people running it with solid instructions how to get the machines up and running. (And how to identify when something is going wrong / how to reboot etc) – maybe that’s obvious but I suppose what I’m saying is consider trying to make things as easy as possible.

Secondly, if you are at all worried about theft I would recommend to look into securing the devices somehow. I once did an installation with a Nord Modular G2 that I bolted (with the rack mounts) down to a board attached to the wall for example.

If you need to hide the devices out of sight - then maybe I’d question why they are even there besides the novelty of live synthesized sound (perhaps that is integral to your piece which is totally fair), and perhaps then replacing it with a media player could be better. In any case, as some other people pointed out the analog devices shouldn’t be fully covered by heavy cloth or similar things as they could overheat.

The last thing I would be concerned about is the machines crashing due to a bug, really. If that would be an issue you would have probably already encountered it with the patterns you intend to play on a loop, no?

Hope that helps!

3 Likes

This was very helpful, thank you so much!!
Please do share a link, I’d love to see what kind of stuff you’re doing.

Hearing that the overheating shouldn’t be an issue is nice. I will do some tests just in case though. The house has some small closets and such where I can place the gear so that it’ll be out of sight.

I will be going there everyday and spend my time there from morning to evening.
The location is basically an abondoned old mansion so I will have to take all of the gear home with me every day. Might regret this eventually lol.
Anyways I’m so stoked about this chance to have an exhibition that the voice of reason really has no say.

I do feel that having the synths there as a part of it is v important and offers me something to do while staying there. It is kind of a remote location so having some synths to tweak will undoubtedly be nice.

About bugs, yeah I’d too think that it would have presented itself by now.

1 Like