Elektron as first device to make music

I found that doing everything with VSTis just made for lazy production. I also found that happy accidents and beautiful surprises are more likely to occur with instruments. That is the magic and why I’ve held on to all of this stuff even when I was all ITB for a few years.

Incidentally, I have loads of software that no longer works. My synths, samplers, preamps and compressors still work and there is something to be said for that.

2 Likes

That’s a very good point.

Software and computer hardware become obsolete far more quickly. Looses a lot more value and becomes more challenging to maintain/find replacement drivers/components over time.

Long after OG Overbridge devices are no longer supported (it will happen eventually), the hardware will live on…

1 Like

I recently got the digitakt, and it was my first piece of hardware. I had worked for years with daws before that. What i would say is that, there is something really great with hardware. It’s not necessarily the sound, but just the bit of working within a contained ecosystem with limitations. BUT, after i stopped just noodling around in ableton and actually learned the software, and learned what you can do with effects and samplers and synths, i realised that it’s all about being creative with what you’ve got.

I bought the digitakt as a sort of prize for learning to make music with a computer. I told myself that if you can’t finish a song or learn production with a computer, maybe you’re not cut out for it. So I buckled down and eventually i became really fluent with ableton, to the point that i really want a synth to compliment the digitakt, but a laptop to replace my 2011 macbook is much higher on the list of purchases.

A computer is really awesome for learning music production, and I would really recommend a laptop, ableton or maybe FL studio, and just keep limits on the amount of VSTs you use. The digitakt is more immediate, but for learning synthesis and general music production, you can’t beat a well specced laptop and a good daw.

I might’ve had a couple.

I think for totally elektron beginner you should go with digitakt, or if you want burn your brains try to read OT manual :DD