Elektron Analog Keys : Is discontinued

If that is the personal limit you have set, I totally respect that. However, if you are just saying you can’t afford it, because you can’t afford it right now, that is bogus.

People act like they can’t save up for anything these days. The AK I described would probably be around $3k. I assure you that isn’t something I would normally immediately pounce on, but I would have saved, as I’ve done with most of my purchases, and I would have made it happen.

There is a fine line between features and costs. Quality and features cost money. Plain and simple. The only real question is to determine whether that quality and those features are worth the price.

2d

I like the way DSI (Rev2), and more recently Korg (Prologue) handle this. For the Rev2 you can buy an extra voice module to upgrade your 8 voice to 16 voices. Not sure there’ll be such an option for the Prologue, but they also have two very similar models with different voice counts (and fewer keys and FX options IIRC on the 8 voice model).

It’s the former for me. I can easily afford to spend that kind of money on a new synth, I just could never justify doing so when I can get any one of a dozen softsynths for under $200 that will almost certainly suit my needs much better. For me it’s a bit of a case of “I know I don’t need this at all and my software set-up will still blow it out of the water but I don’t care, I just want to have it”. That only works because i was able to get one used for under a grand. When it comes to things like Access Virus or any Moog stuff, as soon as I see the price I completely lose interest.

I was the same way with Elektron until very recently, when I found out exactly what AK does. When I thought it was just a 4 voice analog synth with a sequencer, because that’s just what I’d assumed from its name, it didn’t interest me at all, just on price. I’m not even sure what made me look closer at it but I’m glad I did.

At the end of the day, though, I think you’ll find the market for expensive analog synths is way too small for a company like Elektron to contemplate. You just have to look at how short-lived things like Alesis Andromeda and other high-priced analogues were to figure that out. If it were otherwise, don’t you think Korg might have at least one high priced analogue in their range?

Juno have a couple of AK left at 829.47 GBP. I reckon if there ever was a AK MK2 it would be much more expensive that 829 for sure --maybe double that.

Well … maybe not discontinued.

I see the Keys is back and for sale direct from Elektron!

6 Likes

Yea!!!
Long live the Analog Keys!

3 Likes

Updated title—The AK is my favourite --i now own a pair picked up during the firesale of this model. Madness just Madness how heavily discounted AK is —check out Reverb for some bargains there

1 Like

Wasn’t really much of a firesale of the AK in the UK at least. Price of new/open boxed units has been reasonably static for years now and the second hand market has been weak for sellers for at least 3 years - quite normal to see AK’s going for a shade below £750.

I do miss having one about at times but 4 voice poly just doesn’t suit a keyboard in my opinion. Having said that, if I did jump back on the A4 band wagon I’d probably plump for an AK again.

1 Like

Just an update to this thread. I just emailed elektron to ask if the Keys is actually discontinued and the official response is that it is. I then asked if a Keys MKII might be in the works and they said they couldn’t comment.

“Unfortunately the Analog Keys is indeed out of stock and discontinued. There might be some retailers that still have it in stock. If not, maybe you could be interested in the Analog Four MKII?”

“I can’t comment on our long term plans at all unfortunately.”

2 Likes

I saw an AK go for £550 two months back. Ridiculous!

it really is a tremendous instrument. very happy I picked one up. had one of the first MnM SFX6’s ever built and it really kickstarted my hardware songwriting workflow. so the AK is taking me back to that, but with analog sounds, and I’m loving it.

would be incredible if they did an MKII version with a larger, tilted screen.

2 Likes

Uh-oh. The AK is my favorite CV-capable keyboard (and one of my favorite modern analog synthesizers) and is a centerpiece in my studio. It’s also the MIDI keyboard I use most to control other synths. I hate to think it’s not going to be sold any longer. I do hope they replace it with a MkII version. In the meantime, i may have to consider buying a second one as a backup.

3 Likes

Sad sad news

no more firmware updates???

can we now change the title?

Would prefer an official word directly from Elektron and not hearsay before title change.

2 Likes

here in spain they have one for 899 euros new

I logged a support ticket asking this question, here is reply
“Hi David, I’m not sure where you heard this, but the Analog Keys has not been discontinued. We’ll stock spares for several years after production stops. Regards, Fred”

7 Likes

Hooray!!!

1 Like

Maybe you could tell support that the news came directly from someone in their sales dept via email. Sounds like they are a little confused and the left hand doesnt know what the right hand is doing!