Elektron Accessibility Keys

Same here, I use the DN/DT quite often with my right hand only and it works pretty fine :+1:

For latching the FUNC, I’m sure there would be some smart solutions like using a clip or so, if really needed.

1 Like

And maybe add a expression pedal board to control certain most used or harder to get to paramaters for real time manipulation and live recording mode?

Like: Ketron K 8 Midi-Pedal – Thomann Nederland

Not sure if it just sends out note data but even if it does there are ways to translate those to cc

1 Like

To be honest, I wouldn’t advise a Digitakt for one-handed use.
I have a DT, DN and OT(Digitakt, Digitone and Octatrack).

I would advise the OT because it can be mapped to midi controllers much easier.
The DT and DN also seem to have more functions that require button combinations.

I’m currently working on a Bomebox project that would be impossible with the DT or DN.
It maps out every possible midi function of the OT to the Midifighter 64, a Launchpad Pro or both. Together with a Behringer BCR2000 I barely have to touch the Octatrack anymore.
Everything is on separate pages and things like scene select have their own page which can be controlled with one hand.
For every midi setting in the OT there is a setup page on the controller, so the mappings reflect the settings on the OT.

Also lots of functions that would require a button combination can be mapped directly to a controller.
I would be happy to help you with a custom midi controller setup.

1 Like

Really appreciate everyone’s input. It’s made my day. Thankyou

4 Likes

I would probably consider looking at M8 tracker for one handed use, I pretty much exclusively operate it one handed with it on a desk and don’t feel like I am any slower than 2 handed operation. There are definitely some tradeoffs to operating elektron stuff with one hand.

Yeah I agree you can pretty much do all the key combos you need but you do give up a lot of the appeal of the control all type stuff if you’re trying to hold function and turn knobs with your pinky.

2 Likes

What about changing tracks lengths, assigning scenes to the two scene buttons or plocks?

Button combinations on the DT and DN aren’t that a big deal with only one hand. Just tested it before, even p-locking a value with encoder D on the top right for step 9 on the bottom left is easy, and I have rather small hands.

1 Like

There will be limitations of course, but pretty much everything else can be very performable. I think even control all tricks can be done with enough practice. M8 is also a great idea but obviously it’s less of a performance orientated instrument.

++++++STOP PRESS++++++

Just ordered a Digitakt. I’ll let you all know how I get on with it.

Really appreciate all your comments and if anyone has any other one handed synth gear or indeed pedal controller suggestions I’d love to hear from those with actual experience of the kit.

Thanks again.

9 Likes

Thanks. Looks like a very interesting piece of gear, please keep the one-handed suggestions flowing…

Not been mentioned but is your good hand on the left or right? Yes it does make a difference as a lot of electronic instruments are geared for right handed players.

Good point.

It’s my left arm that is dead.

1 Like

Thats cool. Good to go :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve just contacted Elektron support to see if they have a latching FUNC/TRK accessibility fork of the Digitakt firmware after plragde suggestion. Thanks dude.

Lets see what they come back with.

I’ve been looking for basic latching push-button mechanisms but what I see is too elaborate (e.g. with latch at 90 degrees to direction of press, which make sense for doors and drawers). They must exist but I just don’t have the right search terms or know where to look. Accessibility advocates might have a better sense of it.

This thread reminded me of Ravel’s Piano Concerto for the Left Hand, commissioned by/for Paul Wittgenstein, who lost his right arm in World War I.

1 Like

That’s interesting, since my stroke I remind myself of Douglas Bader, the WW2 Spitfire ace with the brass legs, not the war hero bit, just the way he walks!

3 Likes

Thinking about what i would do if this happened to me i would probably dive fully into the Eurorack adventure. You need someone to help screw the modules into a rack but after that you can do a lot with one hand and make lots of hours spending making music or sounds. Not cheap but it is an endless journey.

Duct tape always works in the end!

But yeah maybe elektron can look into doing a update on the FUNC button. Double tap it to lock / latch, and double tap to unlock kind of thing! May be something worth mentioning to them or put in one of the firmware update wish list threads!

2 Likes

I really appreciate the thought. The Eurorack form factor is a plus but the sheer amount of fiddling to set up and maintain an ongoing Eurorack system would drive me crazy, my experience with semi-modular gear was enough. Even having a couple of Strymon effects units was hard to manage; when you lose one hand (and one leg) the area that you can work in reduces considerably.

The key for me is non-DAW, small form factor with extensive features and spec; that’s gotta be Elektron…if…I can get round the FUNCTION/TRK issue.

Exactly this.

1 Like

The FUNC button doesn’t take much weight to depress and is almost flush. I found that ten American quarters would keep it down. That’s 56.7g or about 2oz. A small weight with a flat bottom might do the trick. There might be space for it just above and to the right (keep a corner of the screen protector on so as to not scratch the glass).

The problem with latching FUNC, besides needing a firmware hack they’ll probably be reluctant to provide, is that you don’t always want to latch it.

2 Likes