Elektroid, a GNU/Linux transfer application for Elektron devices

Hello everyone!
Thanks @DG2 for making this utility! It’s super useful!

I just have one small issue that I can’t find mentioned here, or on GitHub.

I’m trying to transfer the new sound pack from Elektron to my Digitone 2, but it seems impossible to transfer several patches at once.
The first patch succeeds, then almost all fail. Some random patches will still be transfered down the line.
This leads me to try and transfer 144 patches one at a time, but the utility rebuilding the directory after each patch transfer is taking aaaages.

I wondered if that was a known issue, and if there was anything I could do to solve it?

Info:

  • CachyOS (Arch)
  • GUI v.3.3.2 (from GitHub)
  • Digitone 2, plugged in using Elektron’s B to A USB cable

Hi, @lopodyr!

Glad to help. :slight_smile:

I’ve replicated the issue on my OG Digitakt and created Fix copy of several sounds at once · Issue #227 · dagargo/elektroid · GitHub to fix it.

1 Like

Fixed for my Digitakt in the master branch. Could you give it a try, @lopodyr?

BTW, thanks for reporting this.

1 Like

Hello! Sorry for the late response.
I can confirm that it works on my computer/DN2!
Thanks a ton and congrats for the quick and effective fix :smiley:

1 Like

could i test for the monomachine ? is the machinedrum branch where the changes are for this ?

What do you expect from the integration with the Monomachine?

Does it support MIDI SDS?

I didn’t add any specific support for it. Would you like it to be added?

1 Like

yeah, specifically that ability to send digipro user waveforms more quickly

1 Like

Hi there,

I’m having this same issue

  • Elektroid 3.3.2 (Flatpak)
  • Digitone II
  • Linux Mint

I’m Git-ignorant - hence the Flatpak - is there something I need to do for this fix to come across to the Flatpak version?

Thanks!

i was worried about switching to linux due to the loss of things such as the elektron transfer application, but this has just made my day! now i can rest easy lolol thank you so much dude!

3 Likes

You’re welcome, @juneonline! Great to see Elektroid is helpful!

2 Likes

@linee, as you’ve probably read, it’s a known bug that’s already fixed in the code.

The problem is that it takes some time to make new releases and I try to pack too many features in them. At the moment, there are 4 issues that I’d like to include in 3.4 and all of them are blocked one way or another.

I’m gonna comment these briefly here in case anyone wants to take a look during the following couple of weeks. If I can’t include them by then, I’ll release 3.4 without them and move them to 3.5. I’m sorting them by importance.

  1. Fix Model:Cycles renaming. This is the only fix so I think it’d great to include this. See Renaming a data item (e.g. Model:Cycles kit) fails with "Bad file descriptor" (EBADF) · Issue #237 · dagargo/elektroid · GitHub.
  2. Add Machinedrum support. This has been ready for ages but nobody confirmed if working or not. I’d be another great addition. See Add support for Machinedrum · Issue #64 · dagargo/elektroid · GitHub.
  3. Add limited support for Minilogue xd presets (only SysEx transfer). It’s very experimental and could be left for the next release. See Add support for Korg minilogue xd · Issue #201 · dagargo/elektroid · GitHub.
  4. Add CMake support. This is the more unlikely feature to be included in 3.4 and the most useless in the short term. Still, In the long run, it might add proper Windows support for Elektroid so it’s actually very important project-wise. Depending on the result, it might change the way the project is compiled. See Create a CMake configuration to build Elektroid on Windows without MSYS2 · Issue #188 · dagargo/elektroid · GitHub.

If anyone has any questions, I’d be glad to help.

1 Like

I forgot to mention that very recently someone added support for Monomachine MKII waveforms to Elektroid! :heart:

4 Likes

:raised_hands:t3:

1 Like

Really good job!, running flatpak version on gentoo linux completely out of the box. (with a Digitakt2)

1 Like

That is an awesome project of yours! I’ve just opened a new issue over on the project’s github with a feature request for implementing the following idea:

Please let me know if you’re interested, I’d love seeing this integrated with Elektroid!

1 Like

Elektroid 3.4 is just out! :tada:

This is a small release to avoid adding too many features that end up blocking new releases. To do so, some uninteresting or in need of help features have been left out intentionally.

These are the most relevant changes.

  • Fix copy of several files at once, which was reported by @lopodyr and @linee.
  • Fix issues with Model:Cycles.
  • Add support for Syntakt samples.
  • Add support for Monomachine MK2.
  • Add support for KORG logue units.
  • Improve macOS support.

A few other things have changed internally, which would hopefully make the connector API easier to use and be more responsive. A faster handshake and CLI is now available too.

I’d like to thank all the contributors, specially to the ones making the Syntakt samples, the Monomachine MK2 and the improvements to macOS possible. As I don’t have all the devices neither all the OS I’m supporting, this was absolutely welcome. :pray:

For the complete list of changes and contributors, see Release 3.4 · dagargo/elektroid · GitHub.

Regarding the future, I’m pondering dedicating some time to migrate to GTK4 as well as adding support for MFB Tanzmaus and TE PO 133 KO.

Finally, for anyone interested in migrating Elektroid to CMake/Windows, see Create a CMake configuration to build Elektroid on Windows without MSYS2 · Issue #188 · dagargo/elektroid · GitHub. Help would be really welcome as I don’t even own a Windows machine.

I hope you enjoy this.

4 Likes

Fix copy of several files at once, which was reported by @lopodyr and @linee.

Confirming that this works perfect for me now.

Thanks a lot!

2 Likes

For anyone interested, support for MFB Tanzmaus was added by someone and it is already available. Thanks to them! :heart:

As the Tanzmaus does not allow for any kind of handshake, using the tanzmaus connector is available for all the MIDI devices.
For now, all the devices will appear kind of replicated in the devices combo but prefixed for this kind of connectors. I haven’t found a better solution for this yet. Suggestions are welcome.

2 Likes

Is there a chance for Minifreak compatiblity now that they added the option to load samples?

I’ve been looking for information in that regard but found nothing.

I don’t know how the MiniFreak works but it does not use MIDI SysEx at all. At least, this was the case with the previous versions.

Have you tried the new firmwave with Elektroid? During the connector-device handshake, every device is checked by sending some messages being the first one of them the standard device inquiry. The MicroFreak uses this as well as many devices but the implementation is not mandatory. For instance, Elektron devices do not implement it.

Take a look at the log by runningelektroid -vv. Do you see anything interesting?