Elektroid, a GNU/Linux transfer application for Elektron devices

I wrote you a direct message with the debug output.

concerning the overwrite behaviour, I think a solution might be as follows. Whenever a downloaded project file name clashes with an existing file a pop-up window appears to ask whether the file should be skipped or overwritten, and the window has a checkbox “apply the same action to all files”. I think this gives user enough control without landing him in a situation where they need to click through hundred boxes to complete a backup.

Version 2.4.1 is just out.

Here are the most noteworthy changes but I’d like to add that there are lots of improvements under the hood so upgrading is absolutely recommended.

• Add support for Moog Little Phatty presets and scales.
  • Add support for Novation Summit single and multi patches and tunings. Wavetables management is supported but creation of new ones is still not. I’ll probably add this in the future as the way it works is kind of known already.

I’d like to add some features in the future such as basic wave editing, slicing or recording but for now I’m gonna focus on GTK 4.

Multiplatform compatibility is also on the table but I’m not sure if will worth it. Any thoughts on this?

2 Likes

Maybe there is a way to poll users here or start a new thread for the new thing that Elektroid has become since you first started working on it.

1 Like

new Digitakt OS 1.5 is now out!

the update is pretty big: there is now slicing and time warping. I think a lot of people who have used DT would have killed for these features

will Elektroid work as is with the new OS?

do I understand it correctly that the project backup format is NOT compatible between the versions? i.e. if I backup on 1.4 and upgrade to 1.5, I won’t be able to restore

just updated my digitakt using elektroid. everythings fine. fedora user

3 Likes

Looks like sample downloading in Elektroid 2.4.1 is broken with the 1.50 firmware version. Everything else seems to work nicely. Could anyone else confirm this?

I’ll take a proper look at it during the following days.

In the meantime, enjoy the new Digitakt machines. It’s a totally unexpected wonderful update.

I can only say that downloading and uploading projects work with firmware 1.50.

If projects are not compatible across firmware versions, follow Elektron’s recommendations and proceed as you would with Transfer. Elektroid is project, sound and preset format agnostic so the format and the reading and writing process depend only on the machines firmware.

Will you be able to add support for the Arturia Keystep as well? :nerd_face:

Elektroid is made up to be extended easily. But…

• We’ll need to have access to the MIDI SysEx implementation. If not, we’ll need to reverse engineer Arturia’s software.
  • As I don’t have a KeyStep, I wouldn’t be able to test it or even program against it. Could you do this?

If you feel confident enough to give it a try, create an issue in GitHub and we can have a follow-up discussion there.

1 Like

I guess that was as expected. What does reverse engineering it entail? Is it simply sniffing the USB-traffic?

Yup. And figuring how to translate the values. Sometimes it’s trivial, specially for values in the 0-127 range; sometimes it’s not (in the case of Elektron the 8 bit data message is encoded into the 7 bit SysEx data payload).

But I guess you already know about this.

Perhaps we’re lucky and the MicroBrute code can be used as a guideline.

1 Like

My Fedora systems have elektroid 2.3 now, and I’ve found my TM-1 again, so I should finally be able to test if the TM-1 support works (months after I offered to do it :cry:).

I was hoping to use my steam deck to run elektroid, since it’s very portable and can be brought close to the machines I want to update … but it runs Arch and the elektroid AUR repo is over a year old (version 2.0). Is that AUR owned by anybody here, and could they update it? Otherwise I will try to build it for Arch myself, but I’ve never tried packaging anything for Arch.

1 Like

No worries. That’s good news. :slight_smile:

I’ve tried cloning that AUR repo and running makepkg -si and looks like it compiles and installs fine on a Manjaro VM. But I’m no Arch expert.
BTW, in the README.md you’ll find the packages needed for Arch in case you need this.

2 Likes

Just ahead of Elektroid 2.5, which doesn’t contain anything fancy, the Digitakt firmware 1.50 appeared and I can no longer download samples with it

Could anybody here check if the sample download is working with Elektroid and Transfer since 1.50? I’d say is a firmware issue but I have no confirmation yet.

1 Like

Sample download doesn’t work with Transfer because of a bug in Elektroid. Therefore, this issue is unrelated to the new firmware. See https://github.com/dagargo/elektroid/issues/101 for more information.

The solution is quite problematic and might affect current projects and sounds but I’m still checking a few things.

1 Like

The bug that caused the samples uploaded with Elektroid to not be working with Transfer is already fixed but it might cause troubles with existing project and samples. Be sure to read the issue for more information. For the people using Elektroid only this won’t be a problem.

Unrelated, for anyone using Elektroid with Digitakt 1.50, you should use this branch for now. I believe there is a bug in the firmware that makes Elektroid believe a path is a directory while it doesn’t even exist, which was causing Elektroid to crash and behave weirdly.

Some actions have been taken to minimize the errors but they can not be fully fixed on this side. More information here, https://github.com/dagargo/elektroid/issues/100. Hopefully, this will be addressed in a firmware release.

2 Likes

hey - stupid question, but can anyone explain to me how to actually install Elektroid (windows version) from this github page? there are dozens of files, i don’t see any install files.

I’m always lost with these github pages, but usually i find the right files by accident - no such luck this time…

also, how do install software from github in general?

thanks

Generally, you build it from the source code.

Some projects might provide links to installers for prebuilt binaries, but that’s not the open source way. You provide the code, and let people build it themselves for whichever OS they want.

Like it says in the thread title, Elektroid is meant for Linux, because Elektron don’t provide Transfer (or C6) for Linux. You don’t really need it on Windows, so it would just be extra work for DG2 to provide Windows versions that most people don’t need or want.

3 Likes

ah, i see - thanks!

i guess that explains why i sometimes can and other times can’t find the install files…

next stupid question - what does it mean to “build” it yourself from the source code?

Use a compiler to turn source code into something like a .exe file that your computer can understand.

If you don’t understand that, you probably shouldn’t be looking at github … its entire purpose is to host source code.

Edit: this sounds a bit rude, sorry. I mean you probably shouldn’t bother looking at it, as you won’t get much benefit from it