Electric guitar into OT MK 2

Hi All!

Hopefully simple question: I’d like to run my Stratocaster straight into the OTmk2, and make ambient loops. Think Eno Airports but guitar instead of synth. I’d add effects in the OT after. Is Strat —> OT a viable signal path?

Or am I far better to run through an amp or DI first?

Interested in comments both on signal level, and also on character of tone (ie what I lose if I cut out an amp).

Cheers!

Good starting point :panda:

1 Like

Thanks. Looks like I want to boost the guitar to line level before it goes into the OT. I have a Zoia, I’ll try Strat —> Zoia (amp and can sim) —> OT2.

3 Likes

If you care about sound you should definitely get a guitar preamp, there are so many choices for just about every budget that you just should’t skip this essential piece in the sound chain.

1 Like

I think you will have too weak of a signal without an amp or DI! The manual shows running it through an amp first FYI.

I just got my OT so I haven’t started experimenting with pickup machines yet but definitely on my short list.

Any Cab sim pedal will do. But there is always better and then some.

Yes, the OT’s effects aren’t level-dependent, so things like tube amp modelling aren’t easy to achieve with a live signal. It’s crying out for an envelope follower imho, but there’s the analog heat for that. For a convincing strat sound you’ll want something amp-y going in, and it really doesn’t matter what that is so long as you dig it. Zoia’s plenty capable I’m sure.

I use an HX Stomp. Several interesting products in that Digitakt recent thread :
Recording guitars

Not weak with certain settings :
Max MIXER GAIN > Max THRU SRC VOL, Max AMP VOL > FILTER DIST > COMPRESSOR

4 Likes

That should work, although we can’t promise you’ll love the Zoia’s amp and cab sims. Some people like them but guitarists are notorious for being picky over amp/cab tones.

I haven’t tried those sims myself as I’m quite happy with the tone of my Retrofier Roadtripper MCM amp.

1 Like

I record my guitar and bass straight into my digitakt using an Atomic Amplifire-box. I had tried a few different cab sims (nothing high end) before making the upgrade. I’m picky but as as bad as some guitarists I assume, so I really dig it.
Big selling point to me was the ability to load custom IRs.

Thanks all!

1. I’m a bit confused from the above about whether I should be using a DI or similar after the Zoia to boost the signal for the OT, or whether the Zoia alone will get me there.

2. If I use Zoia alone, do I need to boost the input gain in the way suggested by Sezare above?

Cheers!

A DI or boost could help with the signal to noise ratio if noise is a problem. You should try without first to see if the results work for you.

2 Likes

Yes just try it!
I don’t think you’d need a DI with the ZOIA.
Preamps / overdrives / distortions can be interesting with any configuration.
I guess you can adjust ZOIA output. Check OT leds for input level. Adjust MIXER GAIN if necessary.

1 Like

Yeah what @sezare56 mentions is another point to consider, you may want the character from gain. It’s not necessary so try without but having the option is nice.

1 Like

Thanks all I’ll try this and report back.

1 Like