Ele:CTRL -Joystick controller for AR/A4 and other

Dear Elektronauts,

As the AR and A4 are missing a joystick controller, I have decided to make my own. It is Arduino based and use a Midi shield by e-licktronic with an OLED screen (128x64) and a PlayStation-like joystick. Very minimalist but yet efficient.

[ul]
[li]Each axis (X+, X-,Y+,Y-) can be programmed with their own CC, midi channel, Max value and minimum value.[/li]
[li]Very user-friendly interface. [/li]
[li]The joystick is also a push button that allow to navigate between the operation mode and the setup mode.[/li]
[li]You can set up and save up to 16 different configuration and recall them.[/li]
[/ul]

This is currently a prototype made of cardboard. A nicer box (probably acrylic) is under study.

It works especially well with AR performances setting, even if you can do more traditional thing (pitch, tremolo, FX…).

Cost: This proto cost me around 60/70$

Next modifications:

• Control change implementation.
  • Add a mini CC sequencer that would act like an LFO

3 Likes

Take my money. When, where, how much? :slight_smile:

Hey Klerc,

Is your project open source?
Would you share your project?

:+1: Keep us informed

Thanks. :joy:
The target was not to sell it . However, I can definitively put together a tutorial of how to make it and share the program + box drawings when everything will be completed. It will probably be all ready in few months.
I really want to add this LFO/CC sequencer!

1 Like

Absolutely, everything will be shared once finished.
As long as you don’t make fun of my programming skills :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Sounds great.
You might be missing an opportunity though.
I think you should partner up with someone and market it for a wee bit of profit.
From little acorns etc…

@klerc - I agree 100% with Patchirl, though to be fair I have no idea how much extra effort that might require.

I know guga has been working on something similar, aimed primarily at the MnM, and it’s been stalled for some time for technical reasons. Years ago, wesen also prototyped a standalone joystick that never made it to production either.

If forum threads are any indication, a high-quality joystick controller that could interface with the keyless versions of both A4 and MnM would be a steady seller around here.

Personally I dont have enough time & skill to build one for my self. But i would definitively buy one !

First the project have to be completed (reliable program, good enclosure box…). Then we will see… :wink:

In any case, it will be open source.

this looks nice! well done klerc :slight_smile: :alien:

the SFX-JII, as probably the one klerc built, isn’t specifically designed for the MM. being able to assign MIDI CC to the axis gives you the possibility to control pretty much any synth with MIDI so this won’t probably be limited only to the AR/A4

i’m not sure why the R&W joystick never actually made it to the market, weird because it looked pretty much ready for showtime but seems like their presence on the web, in terms of hardware production, is not there anymore (their website doesn’t seem to be available)

there’re some videos https://www.youtube.com/user/gugabox/search?query=sfx-jii in case someone wants to have a listen to what could be done with both MM/A4 and a joystick :slight_smile:

1 Like

the SFX-JII, as probably the one klerc built, isn’t specifically designed for the MM. being able to assign MIDI CC to the axis gives you the possibility to control pretty much any synth with MIDI so this won’t probably be limited only to the AR/A4

i’m not sure why the R&W joystick never actually made it to the market, weird because it looked pretty much ready for showtime but seems like their presence on the web, in terms of hardware production, is not there anymore (their website doesn’t seem to be available)

there’re some videos https://www.youtube.com/user/gugabox/search?query=sfx-jii in case someone wants to have a listen to what could be done with both MM/A4 and a joystick :slight_smile:
[/quote]
Oops. Sorry. I knew about your morph4 and third hand but not this one.
More info: http://www.gugabox.com/New/index.html#
There are more features and more control on the SFX-JII.
I also wanted to add other encoders and buttons (especially to recall config) but decided to keep it simple :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Well, I will still continue this project with maybe more focus on LFO part and open source.

Would be cool to have a joystick on the morph4. Just saying… :alien:

Looks cool! Keep us posted!

[/quote]
Nice project Klerc!

IIRC, I think there were some kind of health(/wealth) problems that made one of them (Ruin or Wesen, they were two guys right?) disband the project. However, I´m not sure. I may have imagined it all up.

…

…[/quote]
…

IIRC, I think there were some kind of health(/wealth) problems that made one of them (Ruin or Wesen, they were two guys right?) disband the project. However, I´m not sure. I may have imagined it all up. [/quote]

Manuel (“Wesen”) handled the instrument development. Unfortunately, he had some serious health problems (it was very briefly mentioned on Elektron-Users). I don’t know, however, whether it was that issue that actually caused the halt to the work. I do hope that he’s doing OK.

Thanks PeterHanes.

I hope so too…

1 Like

Update:
Got an enclosure done for the ele:CTRL and the code is almost done. It needs to be tested a little more though. Here are some pictures:

I tried to make a video but it is difficult and it sucks with my phone…I will try again later.

HOWEVER, I found a better development platform: the Arduino Esplora. It is cheaper with more control (joystick, buttons, crossfader) and you can have a big large color screen. The size is still compact and would fit perfectly around the Elektron boxes. Aside a solid program, it just needs an enclosure and some midi port adjustment. Thus I have decided to move any further development to the Esplora. See below:

I will keep you posted :wink:

2 Likes

Looking good! Let’s see where this goes…

Very cool and exciting!

Any news about this little project?
https://www.elektronauts.com/uploads/default/original/2X/4/4a6bf6047d0f349c7ca0553340a68574fb750608.jpg