Effect pedals

Indeed, the Eventide and Strymon emulations on this little guy sound great. Not perfect replicas, but seriously good reverbs for the price.
Plus you can stack 6 of them, which is just nuts.[/quote]
I’ve been pondering this unit for awhile. Have yall got hands on experience with it? im suspicious that it’s too good to be true…unfortunately i don’t live near anywhere where i can try it out.
[/quote]

Then there’s MS-100BT, which allows you to buy some algos for it and transfer via bluetooth and the Zoom iOS StompShare app. [/quote]

Well I take stock in the opinions here so I may just go ahead and splurge.

Re: 100BT - I only have an iPad1 and no plans to get another one anytime soon. While the app works now, I worry about compatibility issues in the future. We’ll see…

Thanks!!

Indeed, the Eventide and Strymon emulations on this little guy sound great. Not perfect replicas, but seriously good reverbs for the price.
I’ve been pondering this unit for awhile. Have yall got hands on experience with it? im suspicious that it’s too good to be true…unfortunately i don’t live near anywhere where i can try it out.
[/quote]

Then there’s MS-100BT, which allows you to buy some algos for it and transfer via bluetooth and the Zoom iOS StompShare app. [/quote]

Re: 100BT - I only have an iPad1 and no plans to get another one anytime soon. While the app works now, I worry about compatibility issues in the future. We’ll see…

Thanks!![/quote]
I’ve got the 100. Might get a second one, or a 70CDR. I was a little wary of getting the 100 for a while because I have an aversion to gear that relies on software that will eventually be inaccessible, but I’d say it’s a low risk thing with this pedal. Buy it and install all the free apps in the Zoom store and any other ones you want, and you’ll probably be fine for a long time. Not to mention that a used iPod Touch will set you back about $40, so it’s not like it is too expensive to keep a device around for updating.

[/quote]

Thanks!![/quote]
Buy it and install all the free apps in the Zoom store and any other ones you want, and you’ll probably be fine for a long time. [/quote]

That’s what I was thinking…So you’re happy with these Zoom pedals as well?

[/quote]

Thanks!![/quote]
Buy it and install all the free apps in the Zoom store and any other ones you want, and you’ll probably be fine for a long time. [/quote]

That’s what I was thinking…So you’re happy with these Zoom pedals as well?[/quote]
Quite. They sound great and are really versatile for a low price.

After experimenting with 3-4 different distortion/fuzz pedals with my A4 I picked up a Moog MF Drive. The volume provides a hefty boost–much more than than pedals that cost twice as much–and the filter knob gives one control over wide frequency range. Gain and tone controls pair very well with the A4 allowing one to avoid muddy tonalities.

I found my my MF Drive in mint condition on reverb.com for $150.

the zoom cdr70 looks quite promising! actualliy i hate those zoom devices … but this little buddy … lots of nice effects … and 6 of them at the same time! i think i give it a try

I have a 70cdr and like pretty much everything about it. Been on my pedalboard for ages. Joyo stuff is also cheap but good.

I love the EHX Germanium OD…I have two of them.

I have also DIY pedals from Musikding.

One thing I strongly recommend is a “reamper”

Something like this changed completely (in the good way) the sound passed thru these pedals.
I bought this: Radial Engineering EXTC-SA…superpower!!

I’ve got three of those Zoom multistomp pedals: the 100, 70, and 50. You can easily find used/open box deals on them, but they are worth their new, street prices.
As said above, they are an excellent option for what they cost. I use the 100 and 70 with my mixer’s effect sends and have no complaints. They may not make your jaw drop like a Strymon or Eventide unit, but they’re great if you don’t need to go big. You can always upgrade too, of course (full disclosure: I ditched the 50 for a couple Strymons in my guitar rig but keep it around for miscellaneous studio tasks).
One thing to keep in mind is that you can theoretically stack up to six FX algos, but the more complex FX sap the DSP and will often limit you to only two FX, and sometimes you can’t even stack two, e.g. Drive Echo + Particle Reverb = :sob:

1 Like

Oh. What a bummer. I thought i can build extreme efx chains for massive sound manipulation …

Just out of interest, is there any thread about on routing for fx pedals? how do you guys deal with it, since most pedals take a mono input? is there any way to do an fx loop with the A4?

Is that why people love the strymon stuff so? stereo ins and outs, midi etc?

You still can, but some of the effects will max you out before 6. I’ve never hit a limit with just one, but I’ve never tried that combo that Somewhat Crumbly mentions. You can still get plenty weird with your effects combos.

For a high quality, simple Reverb:

TCelectronics Hall of Fame!

great sound
Stereo I/O
true bypass
analog dry thru !!!
small footprint

Also of interest with the zoom 70 is that you can access it via midi over USB and change patches that way. It’s an undocumented feature and I haven’t explored it enough to test for the ability to send changes to the actual parameters (doubt it), but you could in theory copy a patch many times and change the settings so that the patch switching acts as a parameter change (although that’s also an unexplored theory).

But yeah, that pedal rules. I actually love the sound of it and my style of glitchy hip hop sounds better with that then some super lush expensive sounding reverb.

Does anyone have any experience with these?

You basically program the DSP from ground up in C code, or you can also compile and load a PD patch for example. 249£ for the pedal version. Pretty cool idea actually. Also there’s a huge user library.

This is really interesting. I have the 100BT but had considered getting one or two of the 70s as well. Have you seen this mentioned anywhere else?

It’s hard to find info online. This guy…

…has a silly definition for the word “hacking” and makes people beg him for his secrets. If you YouTube search ms-70 and arduino, there are a few users who have built hardware patch switchers by using the arduino as a midi control box. Honestly I’ve only gotten as far as plugging it into my Mac for a power source and then seeing it come up in Logic as a midi device. After some searching I realized I could switch patches that way and added it to my list of potential hardware configurations to investigate in the future. We all have a list like that right?

I’m away from my studio this month, but just writing this post has got me planning to figure it out when I get home. I suspect it’s as easy as making a channel for it and figuring out which CC parameter controls the patch numbers.

Really behind Earthquaker Devices for synth effects.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I figured this’d be the most appropriate place to ask.

After seeing a bunch of videos demonstrating what the Strymon Bigsky can do to synths, I’m gassing for it bad. However, I also feel the same about the Timeline, and to a lesser extent, the Deco. In the far off distant future I’d love to have all three. In the meantime, though, I can only afford one and I’d like to hear your thoughts on which would be the most immediately gratifying for juicing up dub techno stabs and pads. Also, I’m curious as to how the Timeline compares to the El Capistan or similar pedals with respect to real-time knob twiddling.

For reference, the kind of sounds I’m aiming for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWRMwtqU9Fw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_EXP8thVLU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFFS2qdiwow

I’d go Reverb first, without any hesitation.

Elektron onboard delays are OK enough IMO.
And Strymon Deco is subtle I believe.

A good reverb makes all the difference.
I personally prefer Eventide Space.
Going this way, you can even go a lot cheaper with an H9 filled the main algos from the Space. I’d say this is the most interesting choice for you.
This way, you can still buy a good delay algo if you need to.
Note that on H9 you can run only one FX at a time !