Dying screen

Thought I was imagining it before but just switched on my AK and can barely see the screen at all. There is the tiniest viewing angle where I can position my head and make it out. This isn’t normal right? Damn thing has only had around 40 hours use. Ugh…

Not normal. You might want to get it fixed.

It’s only 7 months old. Guess I get in touch with elektron :frowning: Anyone know if they cover shipping costs?

Pissed off with hardware recently. Originaly I wanted to grab a Dom1 but I let reports of bad build quality from Mfb dissuade me. Since then I bought an op -1. Had to go back to Teenage Engineering for repairs instantly. And the AK, which has had minimal home use and now needs repairs. Lame…

1 Like

I got it from Juno. Just looked on their site and there’s a big ‘3 year guarantee’ slapped on the AK page. Hopefully the store will deal with it and I won’t need to pay shipping… I’ll contact them tomorrow.

If they are anything like other dealers in the UK, they will pay for all costs in getting it to Elektron and back but you’ll wait a couple of weeks longer to have it turned around.

1 Like

Juno are very good with returns in warranty so no worries there.
My screens on it’s way out as well.
Also there’s nothing wrong with the Dominion 1 build quality and it’s a fantastic synth…The one piece of gear I will never sell.

Cool, hopefully no problem/expense getting it fixed.

Yeah, I wish I’d not been a pussy and just grabbed the Dom1 when I had the chance! Love almost every demo I hear of it… Hopefully next year… If the rumoured new elektron thing doesn’t suck me in before then :wink:

Out of curiosity how long have you had your AK? Just wondering if this screen thing is going to be an ongoing issue…

I’ve had it about 10 months but sadly for me I bought it second hand…Previous owner had it about 6 months before me.
I’m hoping to come across the receipt before it does totally otherwise it could be expensive.
As for the Dom 1 I can get totally lost for hours with it…Hooked up to the MS20m and Tanzbar and I’m lost for days.

I had suspicions that mine had been used as display somewhere. There were a bunch of little scratches on the screen. Juno denied it but gave me a partial refund. But maybe it had been switched on somewhere a lot before I got it :confused: sometimes wish companies would put some kind of ‘usage to date’ monitor thing inside the firmware to stop stores from screwing people over, pretty sure it’s happened to me a few times at least…

Yeah dom1 is still top of the gas list here :wink:

Hope you find your receipt and get your AK sorted no prob.

I have similar issues. AK’s screen was good enough to me before. However in the last months the viewing angle got very small, and the right side of the screen fades out very quickly if I move my head a bit from center.
I think you’ve already been over the support cycle with Elektron for now. Did they replace the screen? Is it better for you?

have you tried adjusting the screen contrast knob under the hood?

Mine still faded. Much better if I leave it switched on for a long time (like all day ;). The store let me keep it til I finish up couple of records I’m in middle of. Then I’ll send it in for repair.

I’m not aware of such feature. Is it possible without losing warranty? :slight_smile:

I think so yea. there’s a few discussions about it on Elektronauts with photos. just remove the faceplate screws n remove the faceplate and it’ll be there. job done.

1 Like

Interesting. I can’t find these info here. Maybe I’m searching with wrong patterns. However I doubt that it wouldn’t hurt the warranty if I removed the faceplate :wink:

whatever, it’s fine to do. it would only affect your warranty if there was a security sticker sealing the faceplate. the contrast pot is there for a reason innit. up to you.

1 Like

Haha :slight_smile: However I’m not sure that turning a contrast knob could solve the issue with right side of my screen. The right side is much dimmer than the other part of the screen. Thanks for your help however.

I would be trying this before sending my unit back to Sweden personally. troubleshooting 101.