Dust under screen : (

Hey dudes, I did a search and found a couple threads about dust under the screen. Dust is one thing, I borderline have a piece of debris under there lol. I tried compressed air, no luck. I tried putting a piece of paper under the faceplate no luck (paper wouldn’t get under). If I were to loosen the faceplates middle screw would this void the warranty, also would it be recommended? I think we need the official word from Elektron on getting dust flecks out from under the screen. Any more tips or experiences?

Mine has the same - haven’t tried to fix it but would like to hear how!

i got my OT back from warranty repair, unfortunatly with a spec of dust …sigh

I had the same, right after i moved my OT for a gig. The gig finished, i moved back to home, and then…the piece of dust was gone :).

I guess i was lucky, but maybe put your OT in a bag, just go for a walk, and see if it’s still there :slight_smile:

Yeah had some particle behind my a4 screen aswell as i got it new, oddly enough it looked like it was behind the LCD itself and not between the windows . Was very annoying for a few days, i hated this “dot”, then i noticed it moved a tiny bit. I grabed the a4 edgewise and banged a few time on the side with my heel of hand (not that hard but with some force) and the particel moved… after a few times the “dot” went away from the screen area. Its still in the box , may he rest in peace :smiley:

1 Like

Opposite for me unfortunately! Just got the Octa back from a gig and it had the fleck. Maybe after the next gig it will be gone!!!

Would love a solution here, when my OT is on, you can’t notice any dust, but when turned off there is a lot!

Well if the dust is stucked only option would be to take off the faceplate and carefully wipe it off on the LCD cover itself or the inner side of the faceplate window.

Mine is the exact opposite. Invisible when off and only can see the bunnies when the lights are on!

1 Like

Sorry to hear about your issues regarding dust on LCD!

It´s unfortunately something that may not be that easy to avoid in the long run due to the static electricity magnetism you get of an display of any electronic gear. Of course there shouldn´t be any when getting your unit brand new. However, rest assure that any unit leaving Elektron didn´t have any such particles visible on the display in the final test of the unit.

What happens during handling the unit i e packing, transportation and/or unpacking is however unfortunately a bit beyond our control. Compressed air usually works though, and you could try again from another angle. Sometimes a few attempts are needed. A quick but determined push on the compressed air can, seems in my experience to be a bit more effective. YMMV though.

Good luck!

1 Like

same problem here…

personal opinion (not sure what Elektron thinks about this):

if you feel confident that you can operate the screws on the faceplate using the right tool, unscrew the screws, lift the faceplate/UI board carefully, and then apply your lungs. do not spit/drool into the device. do not forget to screw the screws when finished.

as this is the internet:
you should do this only if you feel confident that you won’t break the device, and if you know that you can trust in your own judgement. :imp:

1 Like

i completely agree with the screw part, but i did use compressed air, because there was a can lying about.
i’m confronted with this problem twice a year or so.
unscrew and GENTLY lift the top SLIGHTLY (cables attached!). then blow air from a can towards the offending particle. patience.
it works ok, but mind you, my OT is past warranty. talk to elektron support first, if you really want to open the OT up.

P.S. once you’ve gone to the trouble of opening it up but don’t have compressed air handy, or air does not work, you can then use a sheet of paper (as mentioned above) folded into a triangular tip, like a paper plane: at the rear edge of the octatrack, insert it between the lcd screen and the protective glass to dislodge the dirt. (i stress: be very careful with the cables when lifting the lid, you might have to unplug and replug some)

P.P.S. you need to unscrew all of the the six screws at the edges, removing just one won’t do. but you can leave the ones around the crossfader in place.

Thanks for the official response. I take it Elektron does not advise unscrewing the faceplate? Does this void warranty?

i completely agree with the screw part, but i did use compressed air, because there was a can lying about.
i’m confronted with this problem twice a year or so.
unscrew and GENTLY lift the top SLIGHTLY (cables attached!). then blow air from a can towards the offending particle. patience.
it works ok, but mind you, my OT is past warranty. talk to elektron support first, if you really want to open the OT up.

P.S. once you’ve gone to the trouble of opening it up but don’t have compressed air handy, or air does not work, you can then use a sheet of paper (as mentioned above) folded into a triangular tip, like a paper plane: at the rear edge of the octatrack, insert it between the lcd screen and the protective glass to dislodge the dirt. (i stress: be very careful with the cables when lifting the lid, you might have to unplug and replug some)

P.P.S. you need to unscrew all of the the six screws at the edges, removing just one won’t do. but you can leave the ones around the crossfader in place.[/quote]
Awesome! Thanks so much for this and great thread. I don’t think I’m going to mess around with unscrewing unless I get confirmation from Elektron it won’t void the warranty. I am going to get a new can of compressed air though and try that. Realized the one I was using was kind of low. Hopefully that solves it!.

Yeah, and if you believe that ^^^^^ I got a big floppy weiner to dangle in your face

So Yeah i suddenly got it to. Big chunk of it! Is it breaking the guaranty if i open my octa?

Same problem here except I have a hair/fiber and dust on my screen. It’s so bloody annoying too because I never use canned air since I know it can blow dust into the places you’d rather it not. I also keep a cloth over the brushless crossfader to try to prevent this exact thing from happening. Oh well, time to remove the knobs and see if I can get at the screen.

1 Like

So do you know anything about breaking the guaranty?

Sorry I do not. Mine is outside of its warranty anyway so it’s a moot point for me.

As an aside, I use a paint brush and a micro fiber cloth to dust my kit. There is less risk of pushing the dust and debris into the faders and screens, etc. Consider that for preventative maintenance.

1 Like