Dub Techno Recommendations

1 Like

It took me a while since thereā€™s been such a great, voluminous stream of replies, but Iā€™ve now gone through all of it. Some bled into each other for me, not sufficiently distinctive, but some others I liked enough to investigate further.

That Yagya album is the one I went for. Atmospherically dense. Iā€™m liking that aspect of it. But Iā€™ve only listened through once; Iā€™ll need more listens to get a better sense of whatā€™s there. Seems thatā€™s true of so much of techno dub, and perhaps also of the tracks I felt were not quite as visceral or indistinct on first listen.

A lot of great artists and labels already mention here.

For me the Quadrant Dub is one of the best tracks ever made. Could listen to it for hours.

But not to forget Quantec!

You may also find some good stuff on Etui Records label here :wink: :
https://etui-records.bandcamp.com/

awesome

The two videos you posted are easily amongst my favorite now. Thank you.

Would you be able to think of more like the latter one in particular, Insect O? I liked the modest bit of propulsion from the kick drum; that plays no small part in my affection for it.

Wait. Wait! Youā€™re Insect O! I just noticed your name and profile. So itā€™s meaningful to say it again and more explicitly: that is a really lovely song! Is ā€œGhosts in Spaceā€ available as a release or only on Youtube and Soundcloud?

I know some of these have been mentioned earlier, but worth mentioning again :

-Pole (the 1 2 3 album) If you want to dig back to some of the early sounds,
Not sure if you could strictly call it dub techno, but definitely an originator.

-Intrusion : ā€˜The seduction of silenceā€™ is a nice album

-Vladislav Delay, there are some deep dub wonders in his catalogue, though maybe not strictly dub techno

-Jan Jelinek, again, dub influences in there.

Like you, I do find a lot of ā€˜dub technoā€™ just too formulaic, the above artists have stood the test of time for me.

Let me know how you get on with these

@Tokin Tone : Pole eponym album is also a very good example of dub techno IMO.

Donā€™t know if it can be classified as techno per se, but I saw many people dancing on High Toneā€™s ā€œacid dub nucleikā€ (ADN) album.
High Toneā€™s music is purely instrumental dub oriented, mixing ā€œrealā€ instruments and machines.
I donā€™t know any better dub track than Taniotoshi

Nice, thanks.
A never ending journey of discovery, this music lark ! :slight_smile:

Thank you 1000 times Bwax for this link !
Now I figure these sounds have always haunted me ! I have to retrieve them.

First exercise : getting some Juno 106 sounds with the Monomachine !!
:slight_smile:

Thanks man! ItĀ“s not released yet, but planed to be released in 2016 vinyl + digital.
For me the analog 4 with itā€™s 2 filters is perfect to shape some dubby chord sounds, even the reverb sounds fantastic. Still missing a real tape style delay ā€¦ The rythm can do it by turning up the distortion in the delay ā€¦ sounds different to the analog 4.

I posted a new video to ā€œour musicā€ last week: http://www.elektronauts.com/t/insect-o-elektron-dub-jam/15909/130220

Also check out Idealist and Alessandro Crimi from Switzerland!

1 Like

Monomood

1 Like

Recently released album from Martin Nonstatic :slight_smile:

Might have been posted already, butā€¦ found this while searching for Mauritz Von Oswald production techniques.

Not a definitive history or anything, but down and dirty, humorous look at origins of dub techno.

Hereā€™s a good one from the article:

Speaking of dub techno productionā€¦ recently experimenting with dub chord stabs into vocodersā€¦ yep, getting really close to that sharp and chunky Rhythm & Sound chord sound I like so much. I knew people used them on chord stabs, but didnā€™t realize vocoders were so integral to that sound until I began messing around with one.

@Bwax I really enjoyed the trick youā€™re talking about, thank you !

If I understand correctly the drum part is basically used for the interesting short trig sequence and the velocity variation.

1 Like

Youā€™re welcome. But I really just passed you the ball and you scored the goal! Excellent video. Iā€™m going to be watching that while I make some custom vocoder racks! Honestly, for my modulator I just used my regular beat track. I love the trick of using a random breakbeat for some crazy random stab fx and repeats.

For anybody who might be interestedā€¦ there are several good dub techno tutorials on youtube. Iā€™m generally seeking a more old-school Rhythm & Sound feel, but these guys produce some good tutorials.

Atabeylive

Fingers in the Noise
https://www.youtube.com/user/FingersInTheNoise/videos

Tons more out there on youtube, for sure.

First tutorial I ever followed to make that classic stab sound:

Ronny Pries dub techno chord stab tutorial
http://www.ronnypries.de/blog/music-production/a-look-at-dubtechno-chordsnstabs/

Along with experimenting with the vocoder, these max4live devices are fun to play with (based off TM404ā€™s own hardware):

Dub Machines
https://www.ableton.com/en/packs/dub-machines/#?item_type=max_for_live

Almost bought this one in the recent sale. Didnā€™t pull the trigger because I want to make my own fx racks first.

Polytek
https://www.ableton.com/en/packs/polytek/#?item_type=max_for_live

1 Like

Iā€™ve always liked this guyā€™s tracksā€¦

Minimal Boffin. I know he uses a MachineDrum.

2 Likes

very cool. iā€™d checked out fitnā€™s youtube videos before, but tbh i had no idea about the vocoder thing. will definitely check that out over xmas

I second Etui for dub technoā€¦

Also Stardub records

And Primary Colours

Artists to check out Insect O, Echo Inspectors and Silver Ashā€¦

great things you can do with the Ableton vocoder!

good idea is also to use a chorus / modulation fx on the chords. I really like Korg Volca Bass (3 osc tuned as a chord) runing into Roland Dimension D chorus emulation and into 2 or 3 differend delays and a reverb.

For delays try out soundtoys echoboy, ni guitar rig (space echo style with really nice spring verb),

And recently I discovered some love for shimmer reverbs. you can create great space while sending short clicks, cuts or blobs from the A4 into 20sec shimmer reverb :slight_smile: