Dub aborted mk2?

Hello everyone, was wondering if the pick up machines on the mk2 do a better job than those on the mk1? Are those dub aborted messages still spoiling all the fun? And what about rec levels? On my old mk1, the volume used to be ok monitoring before recording but after recording I had to crank up the volume a lot to get to the same level. Is this still an issue? Sold my first one because of this but if the mk2 has this solved, I might be convinced to buy a new one…

Ive found the input signal path decrepitly low, with the necessity of resampling after applying some compression and signal boosting. A bit bullshit

You can increase these values until distortion if you wish :
GAIN > set it with peaks with red led light (around - 12db warning, you can go above, but it is risky)
AMP VOL > default is 0, - 12db compared to +63
LEVEL > default is 108, - 3db compared to 127

People would say the same if it was distorted adding fx. Meters would help.

1 Like

MKI/MKII OS is the same. More headroom announced for MKII inputs, but concerning other mentioned things it should be similar.

1 Like

bought a mk2 about 7 months ago :slight_smile:
It has more headroom. But the issues concerning pick ups are indeed the same. Thanks for the input anyway!

1 Like

Thanks to confirm what I thought. :slight_smile:

And about DUB ABORTED messages, it happens to you even with OT master clock?

Sometimes yes. I figured out what the problem is with the pick ups I think.
If you slave the OT to an external clock, even the smallest fluctuation will lead to a stretch or trim of the recording buffer while you are recording into it. The OT doesn’t like that.
But even with the OT as master, and you pitch shift the recording buffer in some way, be it by changing the tempo or by changing the pitch of in the SRC menu, it also gives the DUB ABORTED messages.
So stretching the record buffer is simply not possible if you want to record over it via pickup machines. there are workarounds with internal sampling and overdubbing from a through machine of course.

3 Likes

Yeah and you can’t disable timestrech with Pickups. I prefex FLEX and you can overdub with them even slaved. :wink:

How so? I remember reading somewhere about a workaround involving putting a record trig right before the playback trig or something but don’t remember where I read it. Or are you doing it another way?

Principle : a track Recorder recording Inputs and its track as SRC3 : a Flex playing its recording.

1 Like

Or alternately, set SRC to cue and cue the flex track playing the recording + the tracks you want to overdub. Overdub achieved.

1 Like