Dual VCO / DVCO

Yes, but this multi-channel technique allows for chords or notes that decay past the onset of the next note. For simple arpeggios with short notes, a single channel would be fine. Perhaps my video isn’t the best example of what is possible. I would definitely welcome you (or anyone) to try the MaxForLive device and explore further possibilities. I’d love to hear the results!

i cannot help myself but this new DVCO-engine is awesome … i mean the bass i get out of these engines are amazing … this oscillators are beefy as hell on a new scale …

who needs a dedicated bass-synth then?

4 Likes

When you say beefy, do you mean on a similar level to a Minitaur or AS-1? Because it would be awesome if it could replace synths like those with all the drum options in one package.

2 Likes

While it’s nice for some things, it can’t touch some other synths in terms of clarity, punch and mind-controlling sub frequencies, etc.
So IMO it’s not a bass for all occasions.

2 Likes

you are right, but for those 16th-notes basslines (somehow goa-stile without a softsynth) this engine provides a very good job

@DonovanDwyer
not in every way, as omatic pointed out, but it depends on your type of music. if you are someone like me who has been raised and infected with this kind of basslines in the last century, then this thing will do it better than a moog

… but i try to make some music-files for you

1 Like

It cured my Manther lust!
But I’m not selling my Monologue or anything :wink:

Definitely a serviceable synth, and every tool is a weapon if you hold it right. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Personally i find not so good for exactly this role. This is maybe not the fault of the dual osc itself, but more due to the nature of the envelopes and the filter. It does do it kind of ok, but not stellar. It’s kindof wonky (difficult to explain :confused: ) as opposed to tight and clear.

In general, the rytm seems to be not so good with precise sculpting of sounds. The analog engines are pretty chunky and inconsistent. Which is not a critique but more of an observation of the limitations.
In that respect the dual osc is pretty ‘phat’ sounding and has a lot of uses in general.
But to me it’s more ‘crunchy 70’s’ than ‘sci fi 90’s’.

i would say an offspring of the big five at the end of the 70s, begin of the 80s:
Roland
Yamaha
ARP
Sequential
Korg

70s for me is Macbeth

not that precise, with a bit of a random direction, but that is good

1 Like

Just want to say the dual vco is friggen great!!! I didn’t get around to updating until today, and recommend getting it done to anyone else in the same boat! Here’s a track that uses it for bass as an example! (some of the high end was definitely lost since i didnt have it mastered) https://soundcloud.com/forrest-no/acid_attempt_2018

2 Likes

How’s this DVCO business compare to the AK Bass? Stuff on Soundcloud sounds good but it’s not very HiFi, so Your personal opinions?

I’d rather do Bass lines in the AR for the retrig simplicity. I’d like to put the Minitaur away for good too.

is there anyway to get it to make a Square wave?

2 Likes

It won’t replace the Minotaur at all. It’s a new flavour the AR, and a palette I think not many people would like to buy a new synth for. In case someone misunderstands, I LOVE this new sound, it Wik never be my go to sound for a solid bass, but it will definitely be in tracks where I want something analog, growly, out of control-ish and raw to do low-mid stuff! 2 cents laid down right here

4 Likes

i don’t have an AK, but there is a retrig option, the overall sound is beefy and sometimes creamy with a bit of aggressiveness

today i run it thru my SPL Charisma, made it more aggressive … holly shit , a new character emerges

2 Likes

I tried it a bit (I’m away from home for a few weeks) when it came out and seemed hard to predict the sound while exploring the parameters. I guess I should have read more about them… But some harsh (in a good way) bass was made… certainly interesting but maybe not the first bass sound most would reach for a track.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. Think I’ll stick with my current OS for now (till OB release).
It’s about time I sampled my bass guitar anyway, and plug that into AR.

1 Like

Hi all!

Is there a way to tune Dual VCO synth to 442.0 (or other main tuning mode)?

thx,
P

No

2 Likes

Lfo offset trick for fine tune?

2 Likes

@Open_Mike Care to elaborate how to do this trick?

My ARs been in storage for months now, I’m getting a bit rusty and starting to freak a little :grin:, but anyway… There’s a few settings that work, if I remmember correctly an up ramp lfo with speed 0 will do, destination tun. Now the depth will create a steady offset affecting tuning and has pretty fine resolution, use external tuner to hit your frequency. Might have to mess with mode and make sure lfo is trigged, can’t remember, definitely works as fine tune with right settings, maybe search for it…

2 Likes