DT with guitar pedals

I was answering to Abbe’s post and if im not mistaking he was talking about the encoders :wink:
Seemed logical that if the DT was sending NRPN his bliss pedal would not react because it only receives CC messages.
You are right in saying that the tracks don’t

1 Like

Maybe. Midi tracks are much more interesting !

I used Octatrack midi tracks to sequence Analog Heat with guitar in. Raw AH recording, no amp / cab sim. Rhythmical goal. Jack only at first.

I plan to do other guitar fx sequencing stuff with my HX Stomp, Analog Drive, Analog Four.

Different application, a bit off topic, but I experimented things with Octatrack real-time sampling, making bass and drums from the guitar signal. No samples, guitar + AH as incoming signal.
No sound if I don’t play.

3 Likes

So you put Trigs on the Sequencer (MIDI Track) and P-Lock different Parameters for each Trig?

With the AH example, yes.

In the videos, I sequence / plock audio tracks reatime recordings, made by sequenced recorders. Unfortunately not possible with DT.

DT midi out to MOTU timepiece AV that splits midi into 8…
Ch1. To expert sleepers FH1 controlling 8 Channels of CV…DT LFO on 1st cv…
Ch2. To Lexicon mxr200 controling program number, clock sync, fx selection, delay clock devision, delay feed back, delay mix, reverb pre delay, reverb tail, reverb mix. DT LFO to delay feedback.
Ch3. To strymon bigsky, controlling preset program, pre delay, decay, mix, mod, tone, param 1 and param 2. DT LFO to mod.
Ch4. To Akai mfc42 filter controling filter cut x 2, filter res x 2, distortion level, env attack, env decay, env release. DT LFO to hpf cutt.
Ch5. To electrix filter factory, controlling filter cut, filter res, filter type, buzz level, LFO depth, LFO rate, filter mix DT LFO to buzz level.
Ch6. Moog sub 37
Ch7. Volca FM (into electrix filter and lexicon)
Ch8. Volca Bass into a splitter feeding mfc42 lpf and an alesis bitrman filtered by the band pass of the mfc42.

1 Like

I am also the owner of an Akai MFC42 and I love that Module.

1 Like

I use the 4 MIDI Channels of the Digitone exclusively for my 4 Pedals (and I use the 8 MIDI Channels of the Digitakt for my Synths and other Effect Boxes).

Digitone MIDI OUT > Eventide TimeFactor MIDI IN > Eventide TimeFactor MIDI THRU > Eventide Space MIDI IN > Eventide Space MIDI THRU > SourceAudio Nemesis MIDI IN > SourceAudio Nemesis MIDI THRU > SourceAudio Ventris MIDI IN

I match the MIDI Channels of the Pedals (in my case, 13-14-15-16) to the corresponding MIDI Channels of the Digitone in the MIDI Settings and on the SYN1 Page.

I also put a Trig on the first Step of each MIDI Track.

3 Likes

Couldn’t be clearer that he talks about the encoders :wink:

1 Like

Thanks @Kenneth, @Tchu, and everyone for trying to help me out. I made a video to better explain what happens when I try to connect the DT to my pedals.

https://youtu.be/4-ra22QXiR8

In short, it seems the Digitakt is ALREADY sending out some unknown midi command, that is effecting the pedals, making them act weirdly. I don’t understand how through. Please watch the video if you think you could help me out! I would greatly appreaciate any help in the right direction!

He Abbe

I’ve watched your video and on 4:03 I saw that your track 2 is also on midi channel 2, check your LFO on track 2
Its better if you have the possibility to put track A on another midichannel

1 Like

I was going to point out the same thing. I don’t know if that’s the only issue, though.

1 Like

Well everything that is happening on track 2 is also sending out to the fx pedals,
so im pretty sure its going to be an issue.

1 Like

Are the encoders for the DT set to int, int+ext, or ext?

The DT audio tracks do not send midi out from the sequencer, unwanted midi messages may be coming from the encoders though.

1 Like

Thanks for replying @Kenneth, @Tchu and @jefones!

So I tried changing Track 2 to a different midi channel, leavning only track A on that channel, where there is no lfo active… but same problem.

I also tried different encoder dest settings, but nothing changed.

HOWEVER, I tried turning off Clock Send under Sync, and voila! Now it doesn’t start to blink frenetically whenever I connect the cable. So one step closer.

BUT, shouldn’t you be able to send clock to the pedal too?

And I still have problem controlling the pedals with the encoder. Something happens when I turn the knob, but it just sounds like a swarm of bees (same as in the video clip).

And here’s a weird thing: even if I change the settings to “encoder dest: internal”, it effects the pedal just the same. When I turn the encoder, the weird noise grows louder, just like when I have it set on “encoder dest: ext”. How could the encoder effect the pedal if it’s set to “int”?

I also tried hooking the pedal up to the Digitone. Same problem. When it’s sending clock, the tap light is blinking extremely rapidly. If I turn clock send off, it acts like normal. And when I turn the encoder to adjust the CC#14 (mix), the bee swarm makes itself known (both in encoder dest: “int” and “int + ext”).

Could it be a hardware problem? Perhaps the midi box? I power it with a 9v dc cable, center minus. I use a trs cable. Could I be doing something else wrong?

I do have a PreSonus Sound Interface with midi out, so I suppose I should be able to connect it to Logic, and see if I could control the pedal from there. Just to see if that’s working as it should, or not. But I’m not quite sure how to do that… but I’ll look into it…

Maybe a Pedal Setting?

This is from the manual could it maybe be the problem

“If you do not have a modified Empress Midibox, but a standard one from Empress, you need to use a custom TRS cable that flips the tip and the ring…”

2 Likes

Maybe this kind of cable?

Or maybe not cause in this product’s description, you need a TRS cable for a Chass Bliss.

What was the sync out set to? MIDI?

These should be your MIDI Settings if you are using the Digitakt as the Master (from what you described in your Post).

MIDI SETTINGS

SYNC
CLOCK RECEIVE : disabled
CLOCK SEND : enabled
PROGRAM CH RECEIVE : disabled
PROGRAM CH SEND : enabled

PORT CONFIG
OUT PORT FUNC : MIDI
THRU PORT FUNC : MIDI
INPUT FROM : MIDI
OUTPUT TO : MIDI
OUTPUT CH : AUTO CH
PARAM OUTPUT : CC
ENCODER DEST : INT
TRIG KEY DEST : INT
MUTE DEST : INT
RECEIVE NOTES : enabled (ONLY if you are using a MIDI Keyboard, a MIDI Controller, …)
RECEIVE CC/NRPN : enabled (ONLY if you are using a MIDI Controller, …)

CHANNELS
TRACK 1 CHANNEL
to
TRACK 8 CHANNEL : OFF
TRACK A CHANNEL : 1
to to
TRACK H CHANNEL : 8
FX CONTROL CH : OFF
AUTO CHANNEL : 10
PROGRAM CHG IN CH : AUTO
PROGRAM CHG OUT CH : AUTO

1 Like