DT + Vesa Mount ( screw lengths) / ( abusing stands)

@Elektron:

Hi,
i´d like to know how much mm can the screws go “into” the DT at max?
—> The Manual is your friend: it says: max 7mm !
how long should the screws go “into” the DT at min ?
----> 4mm and up might be a good choice i guess ?
can i brake something within the DT when using to long of a screw ?
----> have i “headroom” half a mm in lenght or so ? can i short something ?
some more Infos from HQ vs Manual is much appreciated ! …to be in any case on the safe side

If anybody else wants to tinker some things together or want to abuse existing stands with Vesa mount, please feel free to post here your work with pics.
your VERY welcome.
i´m much interested to see

Do not use longer screws than the 7 mm mentioned in the manual. Any longer than and you may damage the board or the components inside. Not sure exactly how long you need them to be, but as soon as they grip the case firmly it should be ok.

1 Like

summoned

As eangman pointed out - the manual does cover this:

“100 x 100 mm VESA mounting holes. Use M4
screws with a max length of 7.4 mm.”

@lostinthemanual not sure what the minimum length can be, sorry. Too long of a screw could indeed damage the unit.

3 Likes

For an engineer to be able to specify a maximum, especially so specifically, then you can only assume that this is based on entering the screw without a mount (otherwise the mount thickness would need to be known or of a given fixed standard)

To answer the OP question and basing the calculation on the likely thickness of a mount being 2-3mm … I think it is safe to say that a maximum screw thread protrusion value beyond the mount then entering the DT should be about 4mm … anything more than that and you are possibly gambling with issues … my hunch is that you’ll get sufficient purchase with at least 3mm and you’d be safe with 4mm, more than that will not be of any mechanical benefit

Specifying a maximum screw length is perhaps useful if you want to absolutely guarantee that under the worst scenario (screw stored directly on DT) you’d still be safe, but it doesn’t help those trying to work with thicker vesa mounts or washers or custom mounts get the important practical info which is twofold

see image below

1. what is the minimum value of x (to get adequate purchase)
  2. what is the maximum value of x (to prevent damage)

In terms of specifying useful info, this is all that matters, but it’s reliant on people being able to verify this accurately

My recommendation for anyone wanting a rough working measure would be that the screw depth penetrating your mount offered up to the DT should be no longer than it’s broad … so 3-4mm should be fine … anything less risks you stripping the thread if you over tighten

This is my thought only, always check through official channels or very gently check with a cocktail stick (or slither of plastic) how much depth you have to play with … when the unit is powered off and make it less than that in any case to account for flexure

X=4mm max is a safe common sense assumption imho

2 Likes

yes, 4mm was also my guess ( see my OP :wink: )
…just that i not allways have the right screws in house. and you know the rest of the story right ? :wink:

i´ll have to work with wood and to sink the screws, which won´t be so clear in measure.
ok, i´ll stick to 4mm that have to go inside the DT, so i have 2mm for spare for unregularitys.

Thanks for all the feedback !

Why not use a self adhesive velcro?

I have my LXR and Ambika on Vesa arms both left and right off my desk attached with a small velcro strips.

Works perfect and easy to detach.

We use the VESA MIS-D (100x100mm) standard for the Digitakt (and the Heat) and there the length of the screw is specified as 7.4 mm excl. bracket (M4 thread). Just to be on the safe side we made it an even 7 mm in the manual.

3 Likes

I made my points !
i might work with wood where the amount of sink is not very clear. Not to the 0.1mm :wink:
i “can” screw in the screws in wood easily a mm or two deeper than the sink alone would be :wink:
…and sometimes one just don´t has the right screws at home but wants to finish the tinkerjob ;)…there you have it. real Live :wink:

Velcro ?: Thanks for the idea. ! but i better go with screws.

i use right now the Lindy notebook arm with its original tablet/stand ( notebooksize).
that unit is really very handy to have.

tough, it has the small VESA mounts ( 75mm )
means for a direct mount of a DT one would have to drill own holes in 100mm grid.
the plate has the size that it will work out. JFYI
…and here we have it again: tinkerjobs at home. :wink:

[Mod Edit] : Original post in its own thread is sufficient, please comment and ask questions on this post now moved there, this thread is a support query not a duplicated sales opportunity, no matter how nice the product

hi Joshua, You’re right and the last thing I want to do is spam the forum. The original poster in this thread said
“please feel free to post here your work with pics.
your VERY welcome.
i´m much interested to see”
So I took that as a green light to post stands that I thought he’d be interested in.

1 Like

Ha, I just noticed that the 4 threaded holes on the DT baseplate looked suspiciously similar spacing to my VESA TV bracket, so I lined them up and sure enough the holes match, would probably need to be careful with length of screws to use if interested in trying it though.

1 Like

more details here re precautions … same as Heat btw

1 Like

D’oh never saw that thread, thought I made a discovery :blush:

Feel free to delete!