DT Overdrive

10 years ago you would have been correct.

I should add that different circuits, different modelling based on that etc all has a sound. So there is a great difference between overdrives, hardware and software. So to say digital doesn’t sound nice in general is a pretty bold statement :wink:
We enter again a discussion of audiophile proportions where the only solution would be to do a double blind test. So I’ll leave it at this.

5 Likes

No, it’s still the situation we’re in. This isn’t like the same as analog vs. digital usually, digital modeling of distortion pedals is always tamer than the real thing. It’s predictable and thus just sounds different. Distortion and spring reverb are both extremely unpredictable due to the amount of random variables involved. Modeling them accurately isn’t probably even worth the effort, since we have “good enough” models already but those models cannot replicate every aspect of analog distortion.

No, this is quite easy to measure. Put a bunch of high gain distortion pedals in a feedback chain and see what happens. Do the same to a bunch of VST’s. Do they behave the same?

You are talking about vst. I’m talking about DSP modeling like UAD.

Let’s agree to disagree :+1:t2: also, this is incredibly off topic.

@weasel hope my earlier snowed under comment is helpful

4 Likes

What? I’m talking about analog distortion vs. digital distortion. DSP modeling is digital distortion, and I’ve been saying all along that it doesn’t sound quite right to me. Digital distortion just cannot replicate analog distortion, and to me always sounds underwhelming. Clean and predictable.

:point_up:t2:

5 Likes

Hah, well you can keep saying stuff like that but it simply isn’t true. It’s not an audiophile thing, it’s very specifically about how a VST or a DSP model, whatever it’s all code behaves and it’s not the same as an analog distortion

Not saying it is an audiophile thing. I said this is a similar type of discussion.

1 Like

Hmm, well in an audiophile discussion there would be two opinions with no real truth, but on this discussion there’s a clear difference between the things we are discussing. You simply cannot use digital distortion for some things you can use analog distortion for. Quite different from “does the OT sounds good”.

thanks @DaveMech, unfortunately i already applied all the tips you recommended, ie. velocity, SRC level. also i did realize before posting here that, contrary to the opening posts, the filter is post-overdrive. and looking at the waveform displays, you are probably correct in that most factory samples are fully normalized.
the sine wave you mention would have to be applied to the sample externally/via resampling as well, correct? i am not aware of a sub-sine layer option within the DT sampler engine?

i especially realized the lack of oomphs on kick drums though. and i am really familiar with a ton of diffferent digital overdrive algorithms to know that the DT drive would be just fine for me if only i could add another 12db - which could be solved on the dev side within 2 minutes, without sacrificing anything.

2 Likes

I agree that it would have been nice if it had a bit more useful range with more grit.

Yeah the sine wave trick has to be done through resampling. You can do this internally by using single cycle waveforms (present in the factory sample folder under synths / tools)

4 Likes

Compress the hell out of it, with as short attack as possible, and resample. Then when it normalises the gain is higher throughout the sample.

3 Likes

Another path that might be useful for you is that the output compressor also offers some bit of gain with a different kind of overdrive – I think it’s different from the per track overdrive? – that you can resample and such.

Resample resample resample :partying_face:
Resampling was applicable before the 1.30 update and it will be applicable now too haha.

2 Likes

Yes, harsher distortion with compressor, max gain.

1 Like

well i was under the assumption that the both the analog output stage of the DT and it’s internal headroom avoid any actual clipping on the master. what i think you guys described is what also confused me when trying to troubleshoot this “issue” - i ran the DT output so hot that it simply overdrove the next device in the analog signal chain, in my case the UAD audio interface. which actually sounded really nice but of course was not the DT OD.

and again, even if it was internally in the master comp, this will yield completely different results to what i am trying to achieve. it will be applied to the master, ie. all tracks, and also can not be modulated as easily through velocity and the LFOs.

but thanks for the input, i appreciate you guys trying to help. i really really want to avoid resampling though as it would break my workflow and also as described in an older post above, yield different results, again, as opposed to being able to manipulate the amount of OD in realtime.

i guess i have to live with it, as i doubt elektron will adress this in a somewhat near future. as easy as it might be to change…

at least i got confirmation in here that i am not the only one feeling this way, and that unfortunately there is no fix that retains my preferred workflow.

Yeah it is what it is, I suppose.

If you really want to avoid resampling, yet another workaround would be the new EQ filters. Since the filter stage is after the distortion, you can hone in on some of the harmonics resulting from the distortion and push them with the EQ. You know… boost the harmonics that the distortion would’ve brought out anyhow.

2 Likes

Do what you like and enjoy it.

But also… Sometimes “workflow” is just an excuse for avoiding that space outside of your comfort zone. :wink:

Not a dig at you, I’m speaking from my own experience here.

3 Likes

You can always send the idea to feature-request@elektron.se
You never know. We already got a major update with a lot of features added that were once requested :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I don’t like existing features being messed with and it would annoy me if the current overdrive was changed to suit someone else’s use case. Swappable overdrive settings yes, replaced overdrive settings no.

as i said, there’s implementations that wouldn’t interfere with the current behaviour or presets at all. just add 12db range to the SRC level.

other people having their interests represented does not automatically mean that you have to feel threatened or to give something up, goes for a lot of aspects of life.

Workaround : DT + OB + External Audio FX