DT or MRCC sends double bpm via MIDI issue

Hey, great tip. Keystep was sending clock as well, didn’t know it will doubles. Thanks again! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Awesome, so it’s resolved, yes?

2 Likes

Yes thanks! :slight_smile:

I have one more question, perhaps you could help. I managed to record on the the Elektron while playing notes on the KSP. There’s a touch sensitive strips on the KSP where you can change pitch and modulation. Is works on the elektron sounds, but is doesn’t record these changes when I’m using ‘Live REC’. Any idea how this is named normally on gear settings? I assume it has something to do with cc parameters, but this is new for me.

Things I can say for now:
on KPS:|

• I set midi channel to 1 and I hear and can record the tone on the DN, but not the touch strip
  • transport/receive is on
  • The midi setting for this touch strip is set to ‘send’
  • there is a ‘midi cc’ set in this touch strip settings to ‘1’ (don’t know what this means)

On the DN:

• Midi channel for track 1 is set to ‘1’
    -to test it I set these channels to 1 as well: FX control CH, Auto Channel, Prog CnH in and out
  • it’s not recording the parameters in the live recording situation
  • In the settings ‘receive notes’ and receive cc/nrpn’ are checked

While I recorded the notes on the DN, I can still pitch these notes while using the KSP.

I looks like I checked everything, but you think I’m missing something?

check first on sound setup, in the sound setup menu here:

try to set some parameters as needed and see if it will change the digitone’s response to the pitch bend. other modulation should follow in the same category as long as DN is receiving cc, but KSP midi implementation of the touch strips is not very flexible, so see if you can successfully make pitch record in live recording mode by setting pitch bend depth etc. first, before you try to set up the modulation parameter.

manual page should be 29 and 30 if you’d like to take a look for yourself aside from the screenshot.

2 Likes

Checked out the manual, also other topics. I can see the pitch bend working on 1st on the left (second image you send), but no trigs are recored in ‘live Rec’ mode (not when playing, not afterwards). I can pitch the the recorded notes afterwards in the sequence. So somehow it does see the and do the changes in pitch, but doesn’t record these changes as parameter locks.

Will have a further look into it!

1 Like

It’s probably something simple that I’m overlooking. I’ll let you know if something occurs to me when I have a minute to think about it more, post an update if you figure the cause.

Looks like maybe because it’s a step sequencer in how it records data so stepped pitch is no good? Try looking at this thread, this post in particular.

1 Like

thank you, will have a look on both machines for now :slight_smile:

Were you able to take a look at the other thread and the workaround proposed there?

Hey just checked it, seems like you can’t record pitchbend in a normal way. The link you send looks really interesting! Unfortunately in my set up I can’t make a midi loop bc its used for other functions. For now it’s okay, you can also record pitch afterwards, but it would be cool tho. Again thanks for your time :slight_smile:

yessir, glad to help when I can. wish we were able to find a better solution, If you want to try and record that specific part using the sequencer on the keystep pro to control a single track of digitone, the keystep pro sequencer can accomplish the pitch bend or other cc motion control which is programmed to the assignable knobs. do you want to try that maybe? you’ll probably need to read the section on control mode, it has to be enabled as a control track which will record cc instead of note data. Maybe not for pitch bend though, not sure, you’ll have to read it more thoroughly than I did.

it becomes more complicated to run both sequencers, but as the tracks are not dependent on each other to work in tandem, this is a possibility. you just have to be specific with your midi routing and you would require a midi connection going back into the keystep pro in order to sync the clock, because you will need clock signal from the elektron machines.

keep the clock send off for keystep pro, turn on transport receive (to receive the start and stop signal from the elektron) and turn keystep pro clock receive on (to receive bpm data). program the track, keystep pro track 2 let’s say, to have the same midi channel as is assigned to DN track 2 (just to keep it simple), and then keystep pro will control only that 1 track with it’s sequencer. as a controller, should still function the same as it does now but only that 1 track will be sequenced from the keyboard step seq.

a slightly convoluted workaround but I think it could be done. does that make sense or did I not explain clearly enough?

I think I understand what you mean. I just created a sequence on the Keystep, first tried it with a live recording and manipulated the pitch during recording. At least, it doesn’t record the pitch live in this case. So now I’ve changed the pitch individually per step. That indeed gives you a stepwise pitch, as they say in that one forum. I couldn’t achieve a smooth transition. Do you think that could be possible on the Keystep? If I want to achieve that here in the studio in a live situation, I think I’ll have to loop it as a recording on, for example, the Octatrack or the Digitakt (?).

I don’t have my KSP manual up but there’s a section about recording with control mode, you’ll have to look that over to see if you can do notes and pitch simultaneously. I’m certain you can do it with the notes pre-recorded and then motion record cc including pitch over the top of the recorded notes. I have to assume it’s possible as in the arturia demo, he seems to be able to do it in a live situation. I’ll find the link, hold on.

here, I time stamped it to the relevant part. tell me if that’s what you’re trying to do.

1 Like

if I tested it the right way you can record changes on the mod touch pad, not on the pitch bend. Like these kind of pitch bend recordings:

1 Like

That’s strange, he does say containing information about pitch. You got the stepped effect, however? What if you set a longer note length? Just curious what would happen if you max out the note length using the function behaviors to select on the keyboard note length options. does it bend pitch or only at the end of the sequencer note does it go up?

I guess it’s not possible, sorry for the confusion. what a dumb limitation.

no pitch bend information recorded with the touch pad. Only in the step sequencer managed to change pitch, but i couldn’t make it a nice bend

well as a keystep paperweight owner myself, I feel lied to. thanks arturia.

did you try it using the separate cc control recording track? I’ll try to find that video.

well, it’s the first day using the keystep, so I could have make mistakes! the cc control recording tracks went probably wrong

watch loopop live record cc using the control track, is this what you already did? I know control track is detailed in the manual.

every video just glazes over it, maybe it just doesn’t work. I’d try assigning the pitch bend cc value to one of the cc knobs and see what happens.

1 Like

Thank you, will let you know when I found a possibility the coming week! This weekend unfortunately no time left

1 Like