DT MOTU crashes

Hi guys,

DT Version 1.2
MacOS 10.14.6
Cuemix version 1.6

Anyone else having issues with MOTU interfaces and the DT?
I have 828 mk3 hybrid and the DT is crashing Cuemix all the time, its unusable.
I cant even jam with my other gear, let alone use the DT in my DAW!
This happened with previous DT version 1.11 i think… or since the last 2 upgrades anyway.
This happens on OB mode and USB midi settings.
I can downgrade but its risky- has anyone done this successfully?

Thanks

1 Like

It’s a known issue with OB

Seems to effect the older cuemix style interfaces more than the modern AVB driver interfaces.

You could try using your 828mk3 hybrid via FireWire (with FireWire to TB adapter, if necessary)

2 Likes

It might be a daft question, but is OB even involved when im not using a DAW?

It is, or can be. Or doesn’t have to be.
That’s up to you.
But OB does not require a DAW.

OK so if OB isnt involved in this instance how can it be OB thats the issue?
I will def try the firewire option and see if that does the trick…

Some USB peripherals cause problems for others. The driver for your DT could be experiencing conflicts endured by the older Cuemix driver.

1 Like

I see this is an old thread but I am having same issue, Can’t use OB inside a project without crashing the MOTU interfaces (2xUltralikeMK3).

Any fix or workaround on this?

I guess no new developments @chrisedu? …I too am having these issues.

I discovered that over the weekend when I brought my MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid out of storage to reconfigure my studio setup. The system just locks up and restarts my M1 Macbook Pro without warning. MOTU’s drivers are really base level kernel stuff, not the universal usb audio driver type.

Overbridge is a great technology, and makes up for the lack of outputs on the physical unit. Quite disappointing really, as I had planned the new setup around using Overbridge for the multiple outputs from the Digitakt. It’s not just Overbridge; it also happens when the Audio/MIDI option is selected - so basically any option that uses the USB audio. The only option I can see now is to use midi cables and the stereo outs.

I read that switching to firewire 800 might eliminate the problem - is anyone able to confirm that? The only issue for me would be whether the Thunderbolt 4 can successfully be connected to a FW800 port. I can’t seem to find one single cable with the right business at each end. I guess a combination of adapters? (Thunderbolt 2 to FW800 on my older iMac works just fine)

I have to say, Apple is by far the worst at supporting older gear. Constantly changing ports and connectors is the reason I have a depressing amount of gear sitting around unused in the attic! :laughing:

Is this something that Elektron could fix (or even chime in on)?

Just as a follow up…Tested on my intel iMac with thunderbolt 2 to firewire 800 adapter. Works like a charm. No crashes.