DSP56300 (Access Virus) emulator (very alpha, no GUI)

That’s a good call on running the Snow firmware and what I’ll likely do myself. I don’t need huge voice counts. If I can get 2-3 instances with maybe 10-12 voices in total, I’m completely happy. I don’t have any problem with rendering to audio if needed.

Just having this period I’m willing to make whatever sacrifice or compromise that’s needed. I’m still mind blown it even exists.

my main issue so far seems to be with 3rd (4th?) party skins tbh. All of which pretty much seem to crash it!
not noticed any CPU issues (yet) but quite limited experience so far.
Windoze though so maybe not relevant anyway.

1 Like

That’s weird, I’m using the Virus TI for OsTIrus skin (I fear change!) and it’s working without any major issues outside of the amp/filter envelope graphic displays not working… which isn’t a big deal for me.

For what it’s worth, I’m using the plug-in in conjunction with a Polar Ti 2 and it’s really amazing what they’ve pulled off here. Outside of a couple of little issues (no random patch generation as far as I can tell, some knobs display incorrect parameters when twiddled) it’s really quite remarkable. Feels like the best of both worlds now - I can use the Polar standalone when I want to, but I get all the convenience of running it as a proper, fully software plug-in when using a DAW with the added bonus of having a lovely controller that works pretty much 1:1 with it.

3 Likes

I’m on it - thanks!

I’ve been testing for them for some time.

I’m on a 2019 MacBook Pro, with the 8 core Intel CPU. 6 instances are very stable at 256 sample buffer size, 48kHz on Ableton 12.

What was really hitting me, was my insistance in trying to use an aggregate audio device. That had been working for me for some time, but OsTirus was much more susceptible to CPU spikes using that than other plugins.

So, I’m now exclusively using my A&H QU24 in the studio and it’s running great. Only downside, is the hard-limit of 48kHz.

The main feature I could really use, but isn’t there yet, is - being able to switch patches using program change messages. That would be ideal for my Ableton live sets.