DSP56300 (Access Virus) emulator (very alpha, no GUI)

I have the Virus B model and just can not keep it on my desk. It’s ugly and inconvenient, even though it produces heavenly sounds. I use DSP56300 emulator every day. It’s customisable, can run multiple instances and be saved with songs. It’s been supper stable for me. While I will not get into the licensing debate, I will say that I would gladly buy a VST from Access if they made one. The thing is that the DSP56300 team developed a plugin that puts most of what is out there, costing a lot of money, to shame performance wise (at least on my M1 pro). The CPU meter does not even move in many instances. All while producing, you know, the Virus sound.

2 Likes

All very good points- It’s amazing how many people, were angry that Behringer ‘coped’ hardware from companies that were no longer making the synths, I guess its even muddier with hardware (but obviously not illegal!) and I have no idea how the IP protection works on ROMS, I assume if the companies mentioned are still operating (Waldorf, Access etc) they have some IP rights (but they could choose to make them public domain if discontinued products?) If the company no longer exists the ROM is probably fair game using the Behringer defence!?

2 Likes

I used to have the TC Powercore (PCI) and had the Virus on it for that very reason-then they discontinued it… hence my interest! Technically I think I still own the licence!

2 Likes

I didn’t expect behringer to crop up in here.

I’ve had coke, Pepsi is a copy … why aren’t behringer producing copied cola
I’ve had McDonald’s and Burger King , why arernt behringer making burger? How can we shoe horn behringer into it

Blah blah the same old nonsense when copying , cloning etc appears. Bring behringer into it. It’s been done everywhere else and it getting very boring. They’re not even the only company doing it.
Every fu%#ing thread.

Why wouldn’t they? It makes perfect sense that a thread about cloning/reappropriating music technology in an affordable way would have them come up… seeing as they’ve done it with, like, hundreds of products at this point.

I say this not to judge Behringer or the developers of this emulator, but comparisons are bound to arise.

Yeah, it’s gone overboard. It really kills threads as the topic totally derails until its yet another behringer is the devil thread.

1 Like

On a positive note, if you have a problem with the emulator, just don’t use it :slightly_smiling_face:.

Does someone have any idea how I can get passed the security issues on M1 so I can :rofl:

Just go to the security preference panel and allow the plug-in to run… has to be done after you loaded it for the first time

I press that accept anyways button in security and it doesn’t accept it. It sticks. Might be my computer or maybe a Sudo code I entered in for the VST before trying? Not sure.

Hm strange… which version of the plug-in are you using? And what DAW?

1.2.6 April 2022 version and Cubase 12 Pro. I’ve tried with Maschine as well.

the first time you run it as a vst, have your security preferences already open. It’ll complain, but you’ll be ready because you’ll see the “allow anyway” here.

You may want to re-scan all your plugins and while that’s happening it’ll throw this error again if you’ve already gotten past this point.

That is the problem. I can’t get it past allow anyways. I click on it while it’s open and it doesn’t go away like most things do. I get the notice that VST isn’t recognized.

Is that happening when you double click the .vst file in the folder or is that happening when you’re trying to open it in cubase or Maschine?

It doesn’t show up in either DAW. When I click on accept anyway in security it doesn’t do anything just sticks. I’ll make a screen shot.

It happens when I double click “accept anyways” in security.

I had the same problem. Don’t know how I solved this. But it eventually worked.

2 Likes

I hope it works soon for me. It will be the last addition without having to buy a 6th Virus in my life 0.x

What I remember is that I googled the solution. Hope you work it out. Maybe reboot and just try it again.

You might need to enable the “allow from anywhere” option.
sudo spctl --master-disable
Put that in terminal, relaunch system prefs and try to click “open anyway”

4 Likes