DSP Error - Sticky Addr

Hello all,

Very very long time no see here, but upon my return I bring news of grief and sadness.

I’ve been working on a new live set over the last couple of days and, whilst talking to a friend about the merits of taping everything off the monitors in case I lose anything, my MnM died.

Thinking it was just a simple crash, I restarted the unit, but it wouldn’t boot. Then I tried a Soft Reset. Still no boot. Then I went into test mode and had this error:

Has anyone else ever had this problem, and does anyone know what it is? I’ve raised a ticket with Elektron, but would love to know if it’s a hardware fix (which I could do myself, unless it’s a BGA DSP…) or if it’s properly scuppered.

Much love,
Finlay Shakespeare

OK, so I brought it home on a cold train and let it cool down, and now the Self Test no longer gives any DSP errors and all RAM checks out as OK.

It’s no longer booting, so I’m thinking that somehow the OS may be corrupted. Unfortunately I can’t test that right now as I don’t have any MIDI facilities here, but thankfully the firmware lets you “update” via MIDI without the OS.

After finding photos of the MnM (and MD) open, there is a battery strapped to the back of the CPU (and I’m guessing DSP) board. Is there a chance this battery might be crapping out and has corrupted any memory that holds the OS?

Also, I presume “sticky addr” represents something wrong with the DSP addressing, which points to the SRAM… right…?

Generally, I think that CPU (+DSP?) board has cooked itself, and there’s at least one bad joint on there. I’ve read things back from the Elektron Users forum days of people taking heat guns to the board, reflowing chips and getting their gear to work again. I’m hoping I can do the same…

So, I managed to fix it by reseating the three cables between the front panel / UI board and the audio I/O, PSU and (most importantly) CPU boards. The contacts didn’t look dirty whatsoever, and no residue came off when I rubbed them down with isopropyl, but clearly it’s done something. Very bizarre fix, but very very happy to have the Mono back. Now to write the set!

2 Likes

I’ve just had the same problem.
Haven’t powered my MnM for like 2 maybe 3 years till today, and it just won’t get past the bootloader.
The testmode says DSP1 error.
I did the midi upgrade and factory reset but it gets stuck on the logo when booting.
Any ideas what to do?

Pics to follow.

anyone?

The best thing to do is to create a support ticket on Elektron’s website.

1 Like

that’s why everyone should power up their stuff from time to time when it’s unused^^
you must know that!

Manufacturers don’t say this. So why would we. I’ve never had such issues and I often have things in storage for long periods.

2 - 3 years is a damn long time. when orys is to lazy to turn his monomachine on even for only a timespan of about 10 to 15 minutes, it’s his own fault. i have no Pittiplatsch for him.

You should have pity on anyone who has lost the functions of a MnM. It’s a shame.
First step would be to open it up and disconnect and reconnect the ribbon cables between boards. If that doesn’t fix it, send to Elektron. The MnM is such a beast, it deserves to work its way back into your setup. Don’t let this discourage you!

1 Like

Have cleaned and resolve red all wiring and connections and it seems to be ok now. It starts every time. I have a small problem as the volume knob does not seem to reduce the volume by much. Sometimes it does though but you can still hear it.
All other functions are ok.
Fire it up every once in a while for what reason. If it were a car I would!!!

3 Likes