DSI Evolver - opinions?

i love the evolver too, a lot, especially the vs waves, but i wish the interface had the same immediacy i get from the elektrons, it’s there (DE) but somehow it seems further away, because of tiny fonts and cryptic display - wonderful sounding, special ,still going strong for a reason !

Yeah, definitely agree with you on the interface. Although, it’s a bit refreshing to be working in a different way from the Elektrons sometimes too. I’m having trouble saving sequences for some reason, whenever I turn the Evolver off and turn it back on again all sequencer data is lost. Possibly because I had the sequencer lock set to “on”.

I’ve had the Evolver desktop from the start (even had two side by side for a couple of years, that’s how much I love them). Used for industrial ambiances, drones, noises, pads, whatever. These boxes have so many tricks to them, I learned everything I know about synthesis because of these. Lovely synths, powerful and different. But not for everyone I guess.

I never could get around the keyboard version (Mono Evolver), I hated the knob action. The desktop’s knobs have a different feel to them.

BTW: Once had an accident and broke some pots on one of the units, wrote Dave for replacements and he sent them with extras free of charge the next week (I live in Canada). That’s what I call service.

Yeah, it sounds pretty good only using the analog oscillators, but I have to say, it’s when you mix in the digital that the interesting stuff really seem to kick in. But cool, thanks for saying! That’s encouraging, I love synths that doesn’t feel limited. It’s funny you mention the SubPhatty, as I had a Little Phatty for a while, and although it had a nice chunky sound, it just felt incredibly limited to me, there just wasn’t a lot to tweak. But that’s another discussion. :)[/quote]
u right, moog is limited, I ll probably sell mine. Evolver is a keeper though:)

does the desktop’s display change when receiving external MIDI? maybe i missed a way to turn it off on the poly and mono keys, but it made the knobs kinda useless while MIDIing it up.

I found I preferred it when it wasn’t clipping, too. It can start to sound “same-y” to my ears when that light starts to flicker!
That said, I am still a fan of it long after I sold it.

Shit, there’s a PolyEvovler on sale on Sound-on-sound. MUST. STAY. AWAY. FROM. KEYBOARD.

I just bought a Evolver desktop Mono off Ebay for a pretty good price to accompany my Rytm

(I am still in the process of saving up for an A4)…i am so pumped can’t wait until it gets delivered…my first hardware synth ( thats if i don’t count the AR as a synth)

I also got a cheap Korg ER1 to mess around with as well… :joy: Happy days!!

I had my evolver desktop since few years now,

defently one if the best synts I ever had

you need to find your way…around it

highly recommend…go for it

Same here. My Evolver was missing two buttons, the jacks audio out was defectuous and it has a dead led.
I ask DSI customer service hop could i get the components and how many it will cost.
They send me all components for free. I was as surprise as happy.
Very nice to be customer. I must precise that i didn’t bought my Evolver from DSI directly. It was a second hand bought on Audiofanzine Web site.

+1 for the DSI costumer service !

super fast, friendly & helpful, flatrate repair prices ( 25 USD !) plus free shipping back
(in my case from USA to Germany)

for that alone Dave Smith and his crew
may earn a lot of cash with all their new synths.

There’s been one on Muffs for ages that no one will touch. About $1600 or $1700 shipped. It haunts my dreams.

Any idea why?

Any idea why?[/quote]
It is a very busy for sale forum. Without regular bumps, posts get lost.

If there is one thing I could change about the Evolver is would be those tiny buttons. It’s a cool looking piece of gear and fun to tweak, but those buttons are some of the worst I’ve used. If I bought an Evolver again, I’d probably put different knobs on them. Being that those knobs are used over and over for all parameters, it makes sense to do this and enjoy more of the experience.

But as for sound, nothing can turn out mangled sequences like the Evolver… well except the Pro 2/other DSI synths.

I love the Evolver. It does some really unique things for a mono synth, such as being able to sequence the 4 oscillators individually (like a modular). The digital oscillators sound fantastic… punchy. I think the A4 and the Evolver sound great together imho.

I have had my evolver for a month and a bit now, messing around with every night and have just made something tonight that for the first time made me say WTF is this machine in a really happy way,

i have finally just started to break her in like a wild horse

1 Like

One of the best synths ever. I bought the second :wink: