Drums : A4 vs AR

I used to have the AR next to the A4 but later the AK next to the A4 to use the AK as a drum machine and the A4 for melodies and stuff. Or the AK for melodies and the A4 for drums :wink:

1 Like

A4 is great for drums but have never been able to create those sounds myself, always relied on the great available drum packs from taro and floppydisk pirate.

4 Likes

AK / A4 is amazing for drums.
But it has different workflow, and I like it as a separate idea VS dedicated (traditional) drum machine.
AR you have to program beats like everything else (like Ableton, other drum machines).
With AK you can do more generative, groove like beats on one or two tracks with sound locks, or other tricks.
Today if I need to put something fast I use AK more often than DT, but you have to buy dedicated presets banks (Taro is amazing) for drums one or two, multimap them and go crazy

I sold my AR mkI because the A4 was a better drum machine to my ears.

I’m not a sound designer type of guy and use the available sound banks created by floppy disk and the druma sound bank, they worked better for me than the AR.
I’m even contemplating buying an other A4 mkI second hand to have 8 tracks to fool around.
With one A4 & sound locks you can do quite a lot of interesting things drum wise though.

1 Like

Haha. This is genius
A4 MK1 just for drums

1 Like

Is there a way to do retrigs on the A4?

4 Likes

A4 works better for modular gear and analog synths due to CV in/out. I love using mine with Make Noise 0-coast to sequence the synth while adding drums and pads for a complete package. The AR is great if you want a serious drum synth. BTW, has Elektron fixed the freeze bugs with the MK2 version of the AR? I have two Elektrons: A4 MK2 and OT MK2 and love them but held off on the AR due to the freeze bugs that plagued the machine for a while.

Does the analog four mk2 have the raw drum machine power and kits that the analog rhythm mk2 process? I need to decide on purchase this week! Can it be my workhorse. I want a monster analog drum machine also considering a roland tr8s?

Did you bother reading the thread above?

I want a monster analog drum machine also considering a roland tr8s?

Which is … not an analogue machine.

Are you just going to post questions like this this all over the site? Can OT do trap presets? Should I get Cycles or Digitone? Should I get Analog Four or Rytm? Should I get Rytm or Digitakt?

No. Yes. Yes. Yes.

There you go, answered them.

2 Likes