DrumBrute Impact from Arturia

I’ve been watching/listening to loopop’s review video. It’s building GAS for me.

Yes, there are other analog drum machines by MFB and whatever, but I’m not enough of a drum machine
connoisseur to spend more than $350.

I’m sure it’s bigger than a Volca but it’s probably smaller than the full-size Drumbrute, which is indeed massive in size compared to competing units.

2 Likes

Am I alone in feelIng the sound is kind of boring? I was excited by the original drumbrute but got tired of it real quick. Mostly due to the middle-of-the-road sounds. New one sounds about the same.

Maybe I’m spoiled by my other gear/software.

1 Like

I actually think it sounds notably better than the original. That said, Arturia really needs to give us a way to tune that cowbell. I mean, it’s a pitched instrument for crying out loud; yet the Cym Decay knob is just sitting there doing nothing on the cowbell layer. Like, seriously, I hope that’s something they can address in firmware. Seems a waste otherwise.

Anyway, I like uncomplicated, what-you-see-is-what-you-get groove-boxes, but if I don’t see a use for every sound, no sale! Shortsighted decisions like that really rub me the wrong way…

Cheers!

That Alex dude AKA Mylar Melodies could sell shit on a stick, he is a killer sales rep. If I owned a distribution company, I would want that dude working for me.

I reserve all thoughts about this new arturia machine until I actually try one. I have tried a few arturias now, the mini brute, micro brute and drum brute. Cant say I was taken with any of them. They just dont ‘do it’ for me.

I really enjoyed the mini/microbrutes in the moment but at the end of the day I like saving settings and making presets on my keyboard synths.

I played the matrix brute at a GC and was really impressed, too. If I were to “start over” I would definitely consider it for my “main synth”

The sound reminds me of the Volca Beat just not as interesting. I’m not sure I’m getting whats good about this. The sounds aren’t that good to justify the price…

2 Likes

I feel the same but taste is subjective.

I wish Arturia would consult with Acidlab on how to synthesize analog high hats and cymbals, and/or Acidlab would consult with Arturia on how to spec out a sequencer. :slight_smile:

If anyone is considering an Impact, also look at the TT-606 which is priced about the same. It has a similar “color” concept, called timbre. Across the kit, the TT-606 sounds are overall a bit brighter (judging from Impact videos only, but there are so many so it is easy to get an idea).

4 Likes

Of course! Its a one trick pony like a TR808/909. But seems to have more Oomph than those.

Andrew Huang objektive test: https://youtu.be/dSEI3KA84Hs

boils Down to preference, I guess. When you said 909 I thought
“Oh dang that little Roland 909 is about the same price… yummmmm.”

I have real GAS over this, except for the midi implementation that seems a bit light. I would have loved to get some LFOs from the digitakt for example.

This always happens to me when everyone starts buzzing about some new synth or drum machine; I start GASing hard for a similar machine that I like more, but wasn’t really thinking of before. All of a sudden I’m Gasing hard for an Acidlab Drumatix again because of an even stronger appreciation for it. Damn, I miss that thing so much.

3 Likes

same

1 Like

I had a drum brute so I know a mini version is still gonna be pretty big. I loved the physical layout of it and playing/programming it but I didn’t love the sounds enough to keep it
ps. my tr-8s just arrived today I took it out of the box (still wrapped in plastic tho) and just laid in bed with it for a while

3 Likes

However the Intellijel Atlantis sounds awesome enough to build a skiff or lunchbox modular portable setup along with a few Harvestman/Erica Synths modules to go with my Analog 4 and Octatrack and Make Noise 0-coast. I like the 0-coast but don’t want a large Make Noise system by itself and prefer to explore other brands.

sounds like a good alternative to a 300 Euro analog drummachine :wink:

4 Likes

The DBI Outputs can be nicely mangled with the A4/Digitone. Thats my Plan.

Almost as creepy as the last time i moved house, i found a particular magazine… i opened it to the centre pages and held it up to take a good look. My partner caught me letting out the words “soooooooo hot” and gave me a look that could kill…embarresd i dropped the magazine quickly. Then started laughing uncontrollably…it was a Future Music review of the moog sub37…

1 Like

I much rather get MFB Tanzamaus. For a little extra money, has waay more interesting features and richer sound…

4 Likes

and … the Tanzmaus/Tanbar Lite voices are also available as Eurorack modules: http://mfberlin.de/module/
If you only want the kick, might be a better choice for some.

2 Likes

The MFB stuff has great Sound. But IMHO the Sequencer is quite weak.

Digitakt vs DBI comparison: https://youtu.be/xygI9o0utzM