Drum programming/ Jungle/ Aphex Twin

Damn I want learn too much :smiley:
Ok with what should I go first? Renoise or Max Msp? :loopy:
Or really learning the Octatrack after 3,5 years of owning :wink:

2 Likes

aphex himself produced stuff at that tempo then sped it up, that was standard practice for all the break core guys

Renoise would be for composition and Max/MSP is about instrument creation.

I reckon Renoise would be a quicker thing to learn and figure out if itā€™s right for you.

Max/MSP is pretty endless from what little Iā€™ve poked around in it. I need to get back to trying to learn it at some point.

would make sense. You would go crazy hearing it all the time at that speed while writing it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Max is also amazing for sequencing.
I spent quite a lot of time trying to get into it, but itā€™s really hard in the beginning.
Started it several times, always gave up. Last time I quit cause I found out about Numerology for sequencing, but thatā€™s pretty crazy in itā€™s own right.

What? Like building a sequencer in Max? Or are you actually patching up sequences?

This sounds bizarre!

Iā€™m not so sure.
Read an interview somewhere which Iā€™ll try and locate that he himself denied composing at different speeds.
The man is clearly a farking genius, he does not need to resort to such methods.
Everything is there because he placed it, at that speedā€¦

2 Likes

Yeah I was curious about all the Max Autechre style youtube videos. The generative stuff.
And now they create whole albums and Livesets with a Max patch. When I read such things I dream of being a crazy Max genius or Master of Breakbeat mangling :wink: After some time fighting with this stuff I go back and finish my simple, ungenius tracks in ableton :rofl:
But everybody need his dreams :smiley:

5 Likes

Iā€™ll google it.

It sounds fun on the outside- just learn a bit of patching and programming, but then the amount of things you have to learn grows exponentially.

Iā€™ve yet to try Supercollider

1 Like

Yes itā€™s so much to learn and so time consuming.
In the end you should get great results (regarding the topic) with ableton or even just an elektron deviceā€¦ they offer so much potential if you learn them properly.
Not that I have done that so far.

Still, might spend some time with the renoise demo :content:

1 Like

I actually find Elektron gear to be pretty similar to trackers, in that you can have not just note data, but also parameter data per step. Just think of it as an Elektron sequencer but vertical! Once you get used to the way it looks, itā€™s very fast to make music with. Iā€™ve become quite accustomed to using a keyboard to quickly sketch out drums and melodies in a tracker.

I really canā€™t fathom how you can make crazy breakbeat without at tracker :stuck_out_tongue:

Nah, I never did that (self confessed breakcore producer of late 90s/early 2000s). Itā€™s not really that difficult once youā€™re used to the tracker workflow. Once you start getting familiar with where your drum fills / break cuts should go (according to personal taste of course), and the effect commands, etc, it becomes easy to produce at any tempo.

3 Likes

I too would be suprised if he did considering how well the breaks and strings / sequences go together. I dont think either were made exclusive of one another.

Itā€™s really easy to make breakbeats in a tracker. Itā€™s sort of like making music in an excel spreadsheet, and when you get the combinations in your fingers, well just imagine how much faster you can type than pointing with a mouse.

Used to use it for drums a lot back in the days, but when i got hooked into ableton it just became a chore to do rewire, or dump out parts from Renoise into Ableton. They have this relatively new plugin thing which I canā€™t remember the name of right now, but that seems really cool. You can get the tracker style sequencing and the sampler in Renoise directly in your DAW. Renoise is actually pretty cool for sound design also, lots of modulation possibilities.

Redux

2 Likes

Thatā€™s it. Thought about purchasing it a few times, but I feel more like getting faster with ableton and digging deeper into the digitakt right now. I find that slicing and dicing with ableton can produce some really cool drum results, and when you really get it into your fingers, a laptop starts feeling more like an instrument than a computer. Until it crashes and then it becomes something you feel has betrayed you.

I bought Redux last year with the intention of using it for my next prog album, but I havenā€™t even touched it yet. I should really give it a go!

1 Like

I have not used trackers in any serious way since the 90ā€™s, they have probably come a long way since then (especially things like Renoise) but once you click with how they work, they are extremely fast to use and with a level of precision that always felt superior to a graphical DAW to me. Trackers remind me of vintage hardware sequencing such as the Roland MC-4 or MC-500, with some + and some - features, Event list top down style editing as on a tracker or Rolandā€™s ā€˜microscopeā€™ editing with a keyboard/keypad is something that I miss, Iā€™d love a modern hardware version of a tracker. There are a few on the market, tasty chips and nerdseq both of which look interesting.

Elektron should totally make a tracker :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

The thing about ā€œhardware trackersā€ (and this extends to things like LSDJ, LGPT etc) is that I canā€™t get into using a tracker using anything other than a keyboard, and occasionally mouse. It just seems to go against the benefits of using a tracker in the first place!

Yes I agree, I have LSDJ but prefer nanoloop for my Gameboy shenanigans, the Roland stuff I mentioned had keypads for entry which was pretty similar to using a keyboard though, you can enter stuff blindingly fast once you get good on them.

1 Like

I made this simple beat on octatrack(with ableton limiter on master), 2 sliced breakbeats (by 8th), long 808 kick, several atmospheric samples. Breaks were warped to 160bpm in ableton, then sliced and remixed on octatrack

22 Likes