Drum programming/ Jungle/ Aphex Twin

Perhaps an idea inspired by the way I proceed,
Keep three identical samples
With a dozen BPM gap between them and pitch effect

Ressampling play with the scenes with definition of filters and eco time
The microprocessor will make a difference with the authors of BPM and will make the particular sample

Then with a micro timing(and scale per track) the loop can evolve in a sense
It’s a way like using the slicemode associated with delay for exemple

I hope this can help you create what you want

1 Like

Give chance a chance!

At the opposite, it would be hard for me not to use random parameters I use since 20 years!
Ok, I know, I’m totally abusing them! :joy:
I have no interest in machines without random parameters. Octatrack for ever. :wink:

3 Likes

I can’t my brain won’t allow it! :rofl:

Besides I’m not a super cool French dude with a wild sense of adventure and probably great hair and probably a nice motorcycle too :joy:

Joking aside, I should have said I don’t like probability much for trigger/note events but do use it for parametric things where I find it more useful.

5 Likes

So I’ll give P’s a chance :wink:

P=Parameters

3 Likes

:joy:

1 Like

10 Likes

Lately I have found that the blank little corners are great spots for conditional trigs.
Take a solid groove, and for instance add low velocity ghost notes, some with retrig, on the snare and hats… You get an ever changing loop constantly rebalancing the groove…

I really had fun with that on my last track (poorly mixed on the OP-1).
If you can pay attention to the AR only, you’ll see what I mean :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@LyingDalai good point, in this type of scenario it can be great. Nice track too!

Wow on that standalone tracker!!!

I’ve seen something similar at the Avignon Festival (but mostly with pianos…).

1 Like

A Boss DR-660 (which is basically like a tiny, stripped down 90s MPC sequencer in a plastic box with no sampling - Linn even had a hand in designing the OS and it shows) sequencing an external sampler was a sort of budget version of this, too. Supposedly that’s how at least some of the early Squarepusher stuff was done.

3 Likes

Resurecting this thread as I’ve done a drum kit out of one of the upload from Aphex on Soundcloud.
I made a video to explain the whole thing. You will find all the links in the description :wink:

Feel free to ask some questions in the chatroom during the premiere tomorow at 18:00 !

4 Likes

Nice video

5 Likes

I think it was said upthread already… don’t make straight one-shots. Start your sample cuts at the sound you mainly want, but cut after 1/8th or 3/16ths (or longer) so you get the flams, ghost notes, extra hats and so on in the sample. For hats and bongos, make the initial cut on an off-beat, or an off-16th, so your sample starts with the quiet, de-emphasised hit, and leave the sample long enough it includes a louder one. When you arrange these “irregular” pieces into a groove, you get new rhythms and emphases.

And then, as also said upthread, retrig and FX to hell. I’m always amazed how many effects Aphex and Squarepusher apply to their drum edits. They don’t just make these great drum “songs”, they process, resample and re-texture the tone to hell, to mark transitions and changes of mood. Delightful, and so detailed.

10 Likes

Ned rush has done some nice aphex / breaks videos and offers ableton projects on his patreon

Plus his approach in making videos is very watchable/listenable … he’s still on my list of influencers that don’t infuriate me ( it’s very small )

I don’t personally like the ‘random tool box stumbling down the stairs’ style of beats … but I’m old.

2 Likes

Agreed, Been following Ned for a very long time, his old Reason videos were where I started. He’s not an ‘influencer’ just some bloke that likes making noise, and can be bothered to make videos. His albums are good too.

4 Likes
7 Likes

Quoting this again 4 years later because I recently put together a really breaks-heavy EP and this is exactly how I did all of it. Ntot so much using roll, though, mostly quantized finger drumming for the actual chopped breaks and unquantized finger drumming for everything else.

4 Likes

Speaking of which :

3 Likes

The lack of repetition and the constant onslaught of inventive rhythmic ideas is stupefying.
So cool to hear new tracks from him.

This is pretty insane too: Domi & JD Beck - "Flim" (by Aphex Twin) cover @Casa del Jazz Roma 22.06.2023 - YouTube

2 Likes