Drum Pattern Compendium

Hi there,
I know there are many of you when it comes to groove boxes and drum machines that just put down 4 kicks and their according companies. And most of the time and as much as I try to make something different, its the same thing over and over or its just pushing buttons as long as there is something I like.
But I would love to know a place to go were drum patterns of different kinds are shown and discussed, really up the rytm game.

Does anyone know such a page on the internet?
Or care to share grooves here?

8 Likes

We have some good threads on this subject:

11 Likes

I hope you get a specific answer to your question. I would like suggest something a bit different and still highly education: drum videos of people playing real drums.

3 Likes

There are plenty of resources online: pdf about rythm, drum pattern ideas, drum notation, midi packs of beats… the latter one being the lazy way.

As always, the shortcut is to know what you do, longer to learn at the beginning (you can translate a groove you like on the machine) but then you are autonome.

@jcd has a lovely youtube channel with dozens of beats and drum machine magic. They also have a Patreon with many famous tracks notated.

4 Likes

https://www.attackmagazine.com/technique/beat-dissected/

http://808.pixll.de/

3 Likes

Beat Dissected is my home from home

https://www.attackmagazine.com/technique/beat-dissected/

I actually just bought their book ‘The Secrets of Dance Music Production’

Edit: oh haha Jinx @melisshki !

5 Likes

Great minds!

2 Likes

Pocket+Operations+Booklet+(2019-07-01).pdf (710.8 KB)

5 Likes

Look at sites for drummers, such as Drumeo. I dont use any of them, but there are lots of patterns available, transcriptions of pretty much any song you can think of, if thats what you’re after.

Same!

Haven’t opened it yet though with all the samples I’ve been chopping.

2 Likes

Same-sies!!

This is great. It’s got good patterns and variation for all genres. Great to also get a good point to make variants of.

5 Likes

I’ve been going through a lot of drum books lately. One with a variety of patterns for electronic music is Electronic Dance Music Grooves by Josh Bess.

One thing I will say about drums though is there literally is no right or wrong. Only what is appropriate for a genre or not. So it can help to reference tracks in the same genre as what you are trying to make to see what is appropriate.

1 Like

I usually just listen to a lot of music with a lot of breaks so rap, jungle, funk, electro and late 90s/earlies 00s r&b. That genre is so underrated if you ask me, in terms of drum programming. Take Destiny’s Child Say My Name or even That’s So Raven opening titles song. Madness!

6 Likes

Two Hundred Drum Machine Patterns: 200 Drum Machine Patterns

1 Like

Waw, i’d rather spend 8 years learning to play the drums than having to listen this intentionally to find the drum pattern of it :wink:

1 Like

Say my Name is fire. The drums are definitely great. I’d never heard Raven’s song but it’s slick too.

MOST POPULAR DRUM PATTERNS | Drum and Bass 2021 Tutorial - YouTube. This is informative. I still underestimate velocity (so does this guy). The “ghost” kicks at half volume sound tight.

1 Like

Anyone know what happen to 808.pixll.de? Did it move? Is there maybe a new link? Found it quite useful for inspo… Or anyone know a similar resource?

Awhile ago I found a website with drum patterns laid on something like an Excel sheet, you could even print out blanks. Attack magazine also breaks down drum patterns in their Beats Dissected section.

1 Like