Drum machines - What's your favourites and why?

I had a Rytm MkI, thought the workflow was great but always sounded a bit too muffled. Used to use OT which is great for drums, but now just have DFAM, Digitone and a Modular rig with some analogue and digital perc voices.
Would probably get the DT if I was to get something now.

1 Like

So, perhaps this is a bit cliché for an Elektron forum but for me it’s either the MD-UW or the Rytm Mk. I (I just prefer the form factor because OCD) but trying to choose between them is not a million miles away from trying to decide whether to saw off my left or right teste. It’s a combo of the great sound, the sequencer and the ‘machines paradigm’. I really love that they are so flexible but that they have focused starting points or a range of curated approaches (if that makes sense). So whilst I know you get drum synths with really complex engines but when each is generic and you have to tame it to the type of sound you are going for then it slows down the process for me.

Now, if the MD-UW had some of the more recent sequencer tricks like probability, independent step lengths, track scaling then it would probably edge the Rytm into second place. However, they are what they are.

Of course, I have a soft spot for a range of x0x sounds such as the 808 kick and 606 hats/cym but ultimately they don’t have enough scope to head out into weirder territories… so I just use samples of them within the Rytm or DT.

3 Likes

its about the genius interface and how efficiently you can control the sequential stuff and how great it sounds (when not listen to some shit youtube encoding)… thats why you see it live so often :-)))… still love the elektron sequencer… my rytm and AR are amazing inspirations in the studio…

1 Like

my favorite drum machines are NOT drum machines.
(in particular, because the only idea behind most of recent drum machines is „let’s make another 808/909 clone with some improvements“)

i either use grooveboxes for drum machine duties, then my favorites (for those particular duties) are Electribe 2 & MC-707.

or i use specialized machines for live playing by human drummer, then my favorite is Roland HandSonic HPD-15.

and for such particular job as synthesized analog kick my favorite is DSI Tetra.

seems like i would like Analog Rytm, maybe someday i’ll buy Mk1 (because its form factor is better than Mk2)

2 Likes

I use the Mduwii 99.99% of the time because I don’t need another one. Why? I haven’t mastered it.

1 Like

Digitakt and MFB Tanzmaus are plenty for me :slight_smile:

…in drum synthesis…a4
…in one shot samples…mpc…
…in live triggering…nord drums

1 Like

Still happy doing drums mostly in OT. Personally think M:C is a great drum machine on the cheap. Also make lots of drums in my Kodamo EssenceFM and sequence it with OT. FM drums are awesome

3 Likes

Right now my heart is with the Modor dr-2. Way too expensive but for how fast and powerful and unique it is, I love it!

I love the Tr8s, I really liked the digitakt as a drum machine, more than the machinedrum, samples and rytm. The analog four was great for drum sounds but not that convenient.

I’m really into the tanzbar 2 and tempest. Dying to try a tanzmaus and tanzbar 1 but almost never see them for sale/decent prices.

2 Likes

Favourite. TR-8S.
Why? Well its all the TR machines, FM drum synths, and samples , in one box. Shaping kits is mega fast as its got dedicated knobs per channel. I love the trigger outs, the master compressor and soft clipper. I’m getting pretty quick on this machine now Ive had it a few years. Elektrons are great drum machines, but the whole, pick a channel, then pick a page then twiddle a knob just isnt quick enough for me.

9 Likes

why did someone bring this thread back to life just to mention some 606 mods…?

I absolutely LOVE the Acidlab Drumatix (606 clone + more) and if I had to have only one of my drum machines, that’d be it. BUT I’ve never used a TR-8s and I can see why that’d be a great choice. really my viewpoint is that with drums, like synths, you should use lots of different ones at once. to vary your sound. so really I wouldn’t choose a drum machine as a “one and only.” I’d choose a sampler, so I could have ALL the drum machines. hence why I think the TR-8s is a great choice.

4 Likes

Having a lot of history on the forum can be very useful but this is the other edge of the sword.

For me it constantly varies between

1. Tanzbär 2 - Vibes, P locks and the sequencer
  2. Tempest - The pads & sequencer
  3. Tanzbär - The sequencer, kick and claps
1 Like

u use electribe sequenced by an Elektron ? if so, how do you MIDI play percs with the Elektron ? u play/save patterns in the 50 slots ? coz got OT MkII & Electribe2. Thx for response .

electribe kicks, snare percs etc r great btw !

Despite its sequencer’s shortcomings, and other available options in the studio, my favorite drum machine is the Pioneer DJ Toraiz SP-16 . It is just so fun to use, and has a very efficient and non-complex workflow. The Elektron Analog Rytm MKII is a strong second.

3 Likes

So hard to choose…

Alesis HR16 (especially after circuit bending ) - nice workflow, interesting sound, easy and cheap
Roland R8 and R5 - cool thingies…
TR808 - groove, still use it a bit
TR606 - nasty little devil
Jomox XBase - despite all say it’s ugly and ui is horrible, I think it’s one of the easiest machines I had
TR8s - plastic fantastic jam station : )

DT and Tempest - for me they aren’t drum machines, one is compact sample mangler and sketchpad, another is a analog monster mono / poly groove synth…

Haven’t used them but:

new Modor sounds killer, better than MD or anything else for my taste, just killer
Tanzbar, AVP Ritmobox, Syncusion, RE-909 and Nava with mods are so lovely for the sound.

But seriously my favorite most used drum machine is Ableton’s drum rack : )

So, as these things tend to happen, my tune has changed a bit.

Octatrack is my ultimate drum machine for the flexibility it offers. And here are the things I love:
Trig conditions
Fills
P-locks (naturally)
Both static and flex options
Chains/slices
Freely assignable FX (comp+eq when needed)
Master track with p-lockable compressor
4 outs
Page randomization
3 LFOs
Transitional looper for playing live.
Cross fader/scenes
Stereo samples (resampling through stereo FX to free up FX slots)

It took a while to get quick enough with OT that I prefer using it to using anything else for drums. But it was worth investing the time, and I am happy to say I can finally harness all the features I listed above.
I get a great sound out of it, and samples gives ultimate versatility. Just be sure to hit with Analog Heat as well :thup:

11 Likes

And… I’m still wondering:

WHY MOOG DON’T MAKE AN ANALOG DRUM MACHINE???

Like DFAM but with more “normal” sequencer, 4 or more independent sound sources… Why?
Some say moog is too fat for drumz : )

2 Likes

They don’t quite have the whole multitrack sequencer thing down, and they’re focusing on what they’re best at, instead. I can respect that.
And they are more than happy to sell you four DFAMs.

1 Like

I believe it was a kind of moog drum machine in 70s, limited or proto…
sounded like lazers in space : )