Drum machine to compliment the Digitakt

I love DT->AR. The analog comp at the end is a nice touch and the per track overdrive and master distortion are great.

I usually use the DT for edits style samples and the AR for samples + analog accents though.

Can anyone test this? I don’t have a DT at the moment. The Re-triggering is done on a trigger/step level rather than being a parameter in any of the menus so I’d be really surprised if it didn’t do re-triggers.

E: through some searching it looks like its true. The DT does not offer its retriggers on Midi tracks.

Man this is a real bummer. I had some plans to use the 8 midi tracks to sequence an Ableton drum rack while using the 8 audio tracks for melodic stuff.

I really hate piano roll editing and the idea of using the midi sequencer to do all of my programming was really appealing.

There is no MIDI retrigger function on the DT, for the 8 audio tracks there is though.

You can still sequence MIDI. You also have 8 assignable CCs (as well as PB, MW etc) at the disposal of the powerful sequencer/ LFO engine.

@leoparde
I have both the DT and AR.
The Rytm is used almost exclusively for its analogue sounds and effects, while the more capable sampling function of the DT takes on the heavy lifting in that regard especially loops, vocals, and single cycles.
The combination of the two is great fun, although I’m only really scratching the surface of the pairing after about three months. Resampling from one to the other can be fun :slight_smile:

But in the end, realise that you are very unlikely to find a box that does everything you want. Just know that either way there will be some trade-offs and work to the strengths of what you have decided upon.

edit - My AR has nothing but nice things to say about the DT, I think it sees the DT as a younger version of itself with hope, dreams and aspirations that come with youth.

"You can still sequence MIDI. You also have 8 assignable CCs (as well as PB, MW etc) at the disposal of the powerful sequencer/ LFO engine."

Yes, of course but for the purposes of sequencing a DrumRack like I intended those assignable CCs won’t help me much. My problem isn’t modulating Ableton drums with plocks/lfos, its programming unique rhythms in a way that’s enjoyable to me in the first place.

I enjoy the DT and its re-triggering for coming up with rhythms way more than Ableton’s piano roll.

obvious answer: buy another DT. :rofl:

as for the original question, here’s my thoughts:

• Vermona DRM is awesome if you’re after purely analog sounds and want to get away from menus/etc. I find it works best when you only use a sound or two per song, otherwise it’s just too much of that sound (if that makes sense).
  • Acidlab Drumatix or Miami. excellent clones that are really fun to use. a refreshingly simple experience of sequencing/altering sounds too.
  • Jomox. stay away. sounds incredible, but the sequencer and barely functional OS will just infuriate you, and kill any creative mojo you had going when you reached for it.

Digitone.

DFAM if you have something for syncing it ; incredible sounds, i don’t sample it in dt yet, prefer the sound of this beast direct in mixer

MFB 301 Pro ?

Read the OP - he wrote AR or Tanzbar :smirk:

Absolutely. It is a drum computer after all. The MIDI tracks are for controlling other synths, up to four notes per trig no less!
Not meaning to sound nasty, but if you use a device for a purpose other than what it was, arguably, designed for, you can expect less than ideal results.

Who knows, with the LFO and some imagination you might be able to approximate a retrig type of sound, of course it won’t be ideal and probably not what you’re after, but then that can also be where happy accidents happen - when we try our best to make do with what we have. I dunno, maybe I’m rambling.