Drum Machine suggestions

Thank you! I saw the 10% thing too. Hopefully they’re included. I emailed them and asked so I’ll let you know if they write back today. Wish there weren’t taxes to be paid!

1 Like

I’m thinking the 606 I may fall in love with here. I love my machinedrum to death and would probably never sell it, but this will be nice to have an extra drum machine. Another good thing is that it doesn’t have clicky buttons so I can play with it in bed and not wake the wife. :blush:

3 Likes

Just keep in mind that the hats and cymbal on the TT-606, while giving you various different flavors to choose from inside the unit, are still a bit different than the TR-606.
They lack the high mix of noise in the classic TR-606 hat sound. A simple $30 boost or overdrive (but not fuzz or distortion) pedal will get you there if you need that sound.

I run the hats and cymbal (and rimshot) all together out of the main output, into a Moog MF Boost, but even a cheap Fulltone OCD knockoff would get the job done.

1 Like

Good advice. Maybe I could run it through my Bass Station II overdrive / distortion. Or possibly my Digitone. I may not even process them afterwards if I like them on their own.

Bad news, case and Decksaver aren’t included. Not a huge deal but definitely disappointing. It takes away from it’s portability a bit without those things.

1 Like

Don’t know why Elektron don’t make a Digital drum synth in DT format, would sell by the boat load.

3 Likes

Agreed!

My new (to me) A4 does pretty nice analog drums, but that would be humongous and expensive just for a drum machine. I often start with it for drums, sample that into the OT, then go back to using the A4 as a synth, but would love a nice dedicated drum machine at some point

2 Likes

I still think the Rytm is low-key one of the best things on the market at present. The price for new is a bit steep, but I very much believe it’s worth it (especially now with the control inputs).

I can’t think of another device in its class that gives you the level of expression that it does. The main downside I ever saw as being remotely valid was the limited sonic palette, but I’m of the firm belief that that is no longer the case, post-DVCO.

Of course, used MK1 prices are still unconscionably low. :laughing:

4 Likes

So finally received my Cyclone Analogic TT-606. Here’s my initial thoughts.

This thing is groovy! The hihats have a type of play in them which makes them groove much more than my MD hihats even without swing, not sure what that is. The “roll” feature is great for adding 1/32nd rolls which I absolutely adore. The Toms are great fun and the handclap sounds extremely good to my ears. Snare is pretty solid as well. The BD is tight but the lack of decay makes it less desirable. No worries though as I can use my MD for those duties.

I actually ran the TT-606 through the input of my MD and applied some reverb which sound pretty sweet. On top of that, using the RAM record and playback is a fun addition, getting that 12 bit sound applied to the TT-606 gets it crusty boy!

The machine itself is well built, ultra light weight and portable. It did have the decksaver and carry case included as well. Doesn’t look as bad in person , but it’s not great looking machine. It is laid out very logically.

This is a great secondary drum machine, but I don’t think I could ever just work with it alone in a track. It’s not a super deep box like my MD, but it is straight forward and to the point. Sometimes that’s just what I need. Can’t wait to run melodies, textures, and basslines with it. That will be the ultimate test to see how it integrates. Loving it so far! The different instruments work very well with each other. I’ll post some tracks here soon.

5 Likes

Thanks for the thoughts! Cool to hear your thoughts after finally getting it. Also, you got it from perfect circuit and it came with the Decksaver and case? That’s awesome! They told me it didn’t. I wonder what happened…

1 Like

First run with the Cyclone Analogic TT-606. Apologies for the beat not being the best, just trying to fill it out. I’m liking the way this drum machine grooves so far, has a nice feel to it. Hi hats are great! Gotta be careful because they can get metallic and it goes into the higher registers. Loving it so far.

5 Likes

Second Run with the Cyclone Analogic TT-606. This time around, a little more simple of a compostion. This is all TT-606 for the drums. Enjoy!

6 Likes

great demos

1 Like

Thanks! I’m really digging this machine so far! Demos were a little bass heavy I feel, plus the clicking envelope in the first track. Just wanted to upload something quick though.

1 Like

Late to the party - but I’m considering a TT-606 as a secondary drum machine to my MDUW+ and I’m wondering if you still feel like it’s a good combo? I’m looking for an analog box that is simple and fun and I’ve always loved the 606 sound. There’s a Analog Rytm for sale nearby for $600 which is a crazy deal but honestly it feels like more than I need since I already have a Machinedrum. Thoughts?

1 Like

I’ll be honest in that the honey moon phase with my TT-606 is over and I haven’t used it as much as I did when I initially received it. I also have not used it as much because I ran out of inputs on my Mixer, so I run the 606 through my Machinedrum. Problem is, when I turn my Machinedrum on, I typically just use it by itself over the 606 because it has more versatility. Maybe a testament to how good Elektron gear is perhaps.

That being said, it is a solid drum machine and really shines with some fx added. I’ve heard running the TT-606 through distortion gets it’s sound much closer to an original Roland 606. I’ve done things like run a separate out for the hats so I could add the Machinedrum delay and it’s extremely fun!

Also a great feature is the Lfo shapes that add more variation in your patterns by adjusting the tone of the drum your working with.

Pros -
-Small foot print
-Low cost
-Analog sound
-Individual outputs
-Sounds great
-Interplay between open / closed hihats is great
-32nd step rolls
-Easily portable (small / light weight)

Cons -
-Not quite a Roland tr 606 (but close from -what I’ve heard)
-No decay on bd
-Limited options for sound design
-No built in fx
-Slight learning curve
-Light weight nature makes it susceptible to being moved around easily

I’ve considered selling it as it has not got much use, however I know it is worth keeping because it has a different sound than my MD. I have another track I put together with it a few months back that I may be able to upload later.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, my main worry is, coming from the Machinedrum and modular, that there aren’t enough sound design options in the TT-606. Still there’s something to be said for something that just sounds good on it’s own. Plus I use a patchbay for for routing so it’s easy enough for me to send parts to different effects etc.

Still tempted by that super cheap Rytm from a nearby shop though!

1 Like

Rytm would be dope. Has that dual vco in it now as well, correct? That would add the ability for melodic lines and bass lines to be added as well. $600 seems pretty good on the price.

If you do decide on the TT-606, I received mine through Perfect Circuit Audio and had a discount coupon that saved me some money. You can usually do a search online to find the coupon.

Both are in this video

Id rather buy an mk1 OT instead of another drum machine

2 Likes

Always happy to see a Venetian Snares video so thanks for that. Also I’ve already got an Octatrack mk1 but I rarely use it as a drum machine (although I have a had a lot of fun chopping up breaks with it). Maybe I’ll just load up a bunch of 606 samples, play with it for a week and see if I’m still pining for a TT-606.

4 Likes