Drowning in a sea of possibilities

Software can be awesome. I really love some plugins. And ableton is magic.
I’m also not impressed too much about all those analog monosynths coming out.
The interesting stuff and new designs and ways to do things in hardware mostly happen in Eurorack imo. But that’s costly. The Octatrack was also a very creative, forward looking machine I think.
By the way. You can GASING for software plugins easily too

1 Like

his videos are really entertaining :slight_smile:

Yeah to be expected of course. This is an Elektron hardware forum after all :smiley:

2 Likes

Well, true! Are you ex-Elektron?

1 Like

Yeah I’ve owned all the Elektron boxes over the years except Heat and DT, some more than once i.e. Octratrack 3 times, jeez talk about love hate relationship. I should have learned. Even Doctor Phil couldn’t fix that one :ecstatic:

2 Likes

Come back to your brethren. I have lollies.

4 Likes

me IRL tbqh

20 Likes

yes, that’s on point :slight_smile:

haha. not sure if on point is correct english term.
But it’s the way I often feel. There was a time I was happy with drum loops too :wink:

WWCD What Would Cenk Do?

1 Like

I can’t really argue that an itb setup is much more flexible than most hardware, just the instant recall alone saves a load of time. Sound wise I don’t think the differences are massive between software and hardware any more, even with analog stuff.
However I prefer to play my synths rather than program them. Even with my analog keys I play the parts in live then p lock the steps I generate. In this scenario I find having a physical object to interact with and “play” makes a huge difference to me. I never got the same connection with a controller, even ones specific to the software like the ni kontrol. There always seem to be compromises that disconnect me from the software I’m playing.
If someone could make a controller set up like the sub 37 front panel with oleds under the knobs which would map to soft synths automatically I’d probably go itb myself.

To add, I hate mouse clicking.
Turning knobs is physical and almost personal lol but clicking a mouse is just lifeless.
I have a few soft synths but after 30 minutes of using my mouse the wole fun is gone.
Now, put me in front of my Blofeld with connected eventides and my wife needs to remind me that sun has set hours ago.

1 Like

I was reminded. I used to frequent another forum. The more I participated, the more I felt the need to modify my truck. When I stopped frequenting Tacomaworld, I all of a sudden was super content with the way my truck was.

There might be a lesson for me in that statement with Elektronauts

3 Likes

No offence, but I can’t imagine how hemmed in I would feel if I had that hang-up to deal with. To each their own.

1 Like

Not quite sure which scientific, peer-reviewed study came to this conclusion, but I’m sure you can link to it :wink:

1 Like

I feel like I have a lot of gear but really compared to many on the forum I don’t have that much. Most every piece of gear I have gotten is a fundamental piece of my rig, besides a few midi controlers and old guitar fx. It takes me months or a year of working hard to save up for and buy new gear. The times I have bought more gear I have researched on and off for months making sure it is exactly what I want, besides some things that have mystically found their way to me. Every piece then gets used continuously as part of my setup. I have never sold a piece of gear nor stopped using any of it.
My gear can do quite a bit but I have deligated certain duties to each piece. Non of them are used to their full potential but each one is always there with its dedicated controls restricted to its assigned duties, so always ready to tweak that part of the music. I like that there is a much greater potential of the gear because then I can learn and explore new things and bring them in as I go, but I am never worried about making them do everything they can all at the same time…
Oh, and I haven’t bought any new gear since 2014 and honestly it’s barely ever crossed my mind, I can learn new tricks for years to come with what I got and the sound waves it produces make me so happy I’m quite content…

5 Likes

sounds like you have a good balance.
I never had money when studying, so I couldn’t even dream of Elektrons or modular. But now, I can afford something here and there. And I still set a lot of limits, for example I had the rule for the last 2 years, that if I buy something more expensive, other things have to go. I tried some stuff, but also sold some.
But I’m constantly thinking about it. For example, I set me the very challenging limit to stay with 3U of modular. That’s very difficult so I am constantly thinking how to optimize it, or if I should have bought other modules, where I get more out of it. Or if I should have gone more for an analog sound, stuff the computer can’t give. Never ends. But I guess if I’d expand it, it would continue

I must admit though sometimes I get lost in endless experiment mode and I have to smack myself to stop routing things in crazy complex ways and just get some beats, bass, and melodies going! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I’m going to make the straightforward assumption that you are joking if you think a Ted talk by some self-help hippie constitutes scientific evidence. But you’re winding me up, I know it.

Main point is - whatever gets the job for you. I know that if you reduced my gear down to, say. Just the OT and RYTM, I probably would never feel very inspired to make music. I prefer more choice. Exploring different gear is a big part of the enjoyment for me. I’m not in a productivity race with anyone, though, and I’m not mad at myself if I don’t finish a track for a few months.

4 Likes

It was a good joke.