Drone synths

That is a beautiful sounding machine. I would run it through my Shard for hours on end.

1 Like

Medusa is a killer drone machine with it’s DRONE MODE
(and of course 6 oscs, FM engine, 5 lfos etc… )

4 Likes

Rob Hordijk’s Blippoo Box or Benjolin are nice noisy’n’droney things:

3 Likes

Lyra 8. (Not that small, but you’re going to get one eventually, face it.)

DFAM in drone mode.

Digitone.

1 Like

Casperelectronics Novadrone!

1 Like

You can do drone with almost any synth. Here’s my recent one with MakeNoise modules and some pedals:

4 Likes

This is my birthday list for the next few years sorted. Thanks all.

5 Likes

Could be - I bought this one from @re5et:
It’s amazing for massive gnarly drone walls. Shane (X1L3) is working on v2 (steel sky) if you like his FB page you’ll see the updates every now and then. He’s pretty open to chatting about stuff too.

5 Likes

How bout that Plinky tho. Still on back order

2 Likes

That first video is epic!

Severence has made some great drones with the Euro Benjolin:

2 Likes

Great stuff, really enjoyed watching that develop. Some nicely controlled feedback in there too from 11:00, one of the pedals doing that?

What I like about the typhon is that it’s easy to have it battery powered, and then I could create my drone on the go, experiment even while watching tv or in the car (on the ferry, which is 40 minutes long around here). Then I can later use that drone in my mixes. The foundation is quite basic, but there are so much modulation and the effect can drench the note of the sequencer in a super long evolving drone. It was (I sold it to finance a lyra-8) a really nice crafting platform to build drone on.

2 Likes

Hey - thanks very much.

No, I don’t think it’s the pedals though they probably contribute to it.

Basically the O-Coast and Strega are modulating each other and I think the fb sounds are from something in the Strega being modulated to get brighter over time (there are a few places where that can happen - waveform, filter or absorb).

The pedals are used very simply - the Makenoise modules go to the Zoia which has some reverb, a filter and a glitchy granulizer (but I hadn’t activated that yet at that point), into a EHX 22500 looper in which I loop two long sections on the fly - one pitched an octave low and another an octave high, both in reverse, and then into an Empress Echosystem that adds some delay to thicken the final texture a little more.

So I’m sure it’s all interconnected but the waves of fb are almost for sure from the Strega/0-Coast modulating each other.

1 Like

The AU modular system has a dedicated drone module, doesn’t it? I’ll go and answer my own question, bear with me,

Yes it does - the Drone38. Sixty Euros!

I’d say if you want a modular system without the high cost, the AE looks like a good option to explore - you could set up an extensive drone kit for less than the price of most Eurorack cases, and it also has a fairly compact format. I’ve been tempted a few times, but the fact I’ve already gone down the Eurorack path has held me back. If I was starting out today, I’d give it some serious thought.

1 Like

Check errorinstruments.com. Small supplier with nothing but weird noise, lofi, circuit bend and drone stuff

Like:
https://youtu.be/ryUTmX3-eis

4 Likes

@Grate_expectations Aren’t you more confused now with that everlasting list?

2 Likes

Just going to perpetuate the gas a bit… Perfect Circuit listed the Lyra inspired Elmyra on their 4th of July sale ($255 USD). Don’t know a ton about this one, but seems like a great deal!

4 Likes

This thread is getting more and more inspiring… keep on guys!

I need about 5 drone synths now… good to have a thread that compiles them though.

4 Likes

A very simple but effective six oscillator drone machine, with a basic filter and CV input for fm.
Also 120 dollars.

1 Like