Driving Plonk with Grids + Rytm

I use Grids with Rings and Clouds, as well as Peaks in my small mutable system.

First post here, but I’m pretty active on the MW forum. I would tell you to consider another alternative to Grids. I personally like the Noise Engineering Numeric or Zularic Repetitor. Better yet get both, and a Confundo Funkitus, to use with the BIA.

Also, and forgive me if I’m wrong because I only recently bought a Rytm (for the second time haha) and I’m relearning it. Can you use the impulse machines to send out triggers? Otherwise, there are sample files you can use (I think Make Noise has a video with an MPC driving a modular in this way). But yeah a MIDI to CV converter just for that is overkill. Now if you had an MD, that’s a different story. I use a Yarns chained to a Ladik MIDI to CV converter to send a bunch of MIDI tracks from my MD to the modular.

Here’s a video I made last year with the Noise Engineering Zularic Repetitor, Numeric Repetitor and Confundo Funkitus with a BIA and a couple friends. Sorry, I haven’t figured out how to imbed yet.

3 Likes

thanks for all the input nauters…
through my research I have decided what I really want to get some funky groove to sit with my Rytm is;

Pamela’s NEW Workout (clocked by Rytm or Pyramid with DIN sync)
Basimilus Iteritas Alter
and some power supplies and rails from TipTop audio

Then later on I might add some type of OR combiner for Pam’s outputs to get even more variety in patterns from Pam.
What you think?

I just ordered my BIA today, will be pairing it with Rytm, CC>CV from OT via Expert Sleepers FH-1 and Turing Machine with expanders. Should be a decent start, especially when we get the new OT firmware.

1 Like

Plonk looks great but agree BIA looks amazing.
Going to try and squeeze one in myself

1 Like

Before you commit to Pamela’s New Workout, also look at Temps Utile. I can direct you to some trusted builder. I’ve owned a Tempi, QCD and Pamela’s workout. Pam’s was cool, and definitely a lot of function in a small package. But it definitely could benefit from a bigger screen and more IO. This is where the TU shines, and it’s open source and continuously being developed. I’m a big fan of that, and the Ornaments and Crimes modules.

2 Likes

Just got my BIA, it’s really good, you could easily do a set with just one of these and bunch of triggers.

OT plocking the BIA…

3 Likes

Cool, plenty of different tones there.
I especially like that FMish tone you get out of it. Sort of has that monomachine sound.

1 Like

It can be somewhat tamer with less modulation, also it will do a mean bass.

Yeah, hoping Pamela’s workout plus Pyramid will go nicely with it.

Nice job. And you’re right, it can do a great job with baselines. It’s by far my favorite module specifically made for percussion. It’s so versatile. Honestly, I wish I had a couple in the rack, because it really can do almost any drum sound you want with the right tweaking. And it can alternate nicely between kick and snare type sounds to get more mileage from one module. In general I’m a pretty big Noise Engineering fan.